Great way to end the day! - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old March 25th, 2004, 06:55 PM
Quimbola
Josh
1994 #1695 Not stock.

Angry Great way to end the day!

Just got a call from my girlfriend. The Defender was hit while it was parked outside my house!!

Looks like no Major damage, but she hit the left rear tire, bent the he!! out of the wheel and blew the tire!! Fortunately my neighbor saw her and tracked her down, as she was trying to take off.

She actually bounced off the tire then went into my other neighbor's yard. Think she could have bent the axle??? She was probably going 30.

Any insight, condolences would be appreciated!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 25th, 2004, 07:00 PM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

Very sorry to hear that, at least you got her. And yes, there is a very good chance she bent the drive flange and or axle housing. If she was going that fast.

BUCK Wild Racing
Driver: Me
Co-driver: Pat Quirk
Team 911

Rover Tracks
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
PSC
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline
Made it further than half of the other guys, but the Hammers won.
Old March 25th, 2004, 07:09 PM
Quimbola
Josh
1994 #1695 Not stock.

What's the best way to check? Put on new wheel and see if it wobbles?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 25th, 2004, 07:22 PM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

You answered your own question! Or you could have the ins pay for a 4 wheel alignment just to check that way. An impact that hard can cause other things to happen like your top to leak water and your shocks to all need replacement. Just FYI

BUCK Wild Racing
Team 911

Rover Tracks
PSC
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline
Old March 25th, 2004, 07:46 PM
dave_lucas
Dave Lucas
None

30 MPH is a hard hit!

Sure would be a shame if she bent the housing and you had to replace it with one of these

http://www.rovertracks.com/salisburys.htm

But you really should get it checked out by a professional, many times the superficial damage is just the tip of the iceberg and the real expensive damage goes unnoticed. I have seen bent rotors, axles, housings from less impact than that.

Hope everything works out for you!
Old March 25th, 2004, 10:26 PM
kiefffff
Keith Rider
1994 Portofino ST: #217

Registry
That sucks!

Really sorry to hear that. Hope everything is okay.
Old March 25th, 2004, 10:38 PM
Glenn_Guinto
Glenn Guinto
94LWB; 99D1; 06RR S/C

Registry
Your front and rear ARB lockers are most likely damaged too

Old March 26th, 2004, 12:43 AM
Tawayama
Michael Slade
No Land Rovers

You need to get the rear axle COMPLETELY taken apart and visually inspect each piece.

I got T-boned in my old Range Rover smack square on the front axle and it bent the upper swivel pin into an oblong shape. The panhard rod was bent into a U, but other than those two things the rest of the axle was remarkably untouched.

The truck was totalled anyway (I bought it back from the insurance company), but if it wasn't totalled and the insurance adjuster found out that there was internal damage to steering components, odds are the entire axle assembly would have been replaced.

In your case if the rear axle was smacked hard enough to break/bend a wheel and pop the tire, then you more than likely have a bent axle tube, bent/distorted stub axles, damaged hubs/bearings/discs...etc.

You get the picture. I'm not sure how an alignment would make the internal problems visible, so I would suggest taking the hub apart that got the brunt of the damage and checking them out. If you don't really know what is still good, then you could take it to a dealer or local shop and they would be able to tell you just how much internal damage you have.

I would suspect there is some, but there's no telling how much without taking it apart.

I hate this kind of problem because if you don't do a thorough job of inspecting it and repairing it now, you'll end up with problems later on down the road that the insurance won't pay for.

Remember, your car must be returned to PRE-accident condition (if you have comprehensive insurance).

Good luck!
Old March 26th, 2004, 12:44 AM
TwisteD90
Yousef Hamzeh
06 RR SC, 06 LR3, 94 D90

Sorry to hear that Josh

As Dave said, have a shop look at it and have her insurance pay for everything and replace the damaged parts with new ones not used or reconditioned.

Also check the trailing arm.
Old March 26th, 2004, 05:20 AM
Berty
Brett Hurrell
D90 Hardtop 300Tdi

I got hit square on the rear wheel by a young girl, I was travelling about 50mph & she pulled out of a side road straight into the side of me. The impact was hard enough to spin round the wrong way in the road!
Amazingly she completely missed the bodywork, just smacked into the rear wheel, it took a fair bit of paint off but incredible the wheel was ok. I had the rest of the truck checked out & I guess I was lucky but everything was fine.
I gave her a break on the insurance because she'd just passed her test. In the UK if you have an accident within 6 or so weeks you have to resit the driving test.
She bought me a new alloy & tyre (or her dad did!) Her Ford Fiesta (tiny POS) was totalled.
Old March 26th, 2004, 12:01 PM
Quimbola
Josh
1994 #1695 Not stock.

GLAD I HAVE SLIDERS! Changed the wheel, got in and took a spin around the block. When driving straight, steering wheel is at 45 degrees. Alignment is off.

Upon further inspection, it looks like she nailed the rear wheel, slid along the slider, hit the front wheel,hen continued another, 30 yards into my neighbors yard, she was going fast, she was in a Izuzu Rodeo. Rear wheel jacked, fenders flairs scratched up, front tire, hit but no apparent damage.

She doesn't have insurance, she has something called a financial responsibility waiver, anyone heard or dealt with this? She got a ticket for reckless driving.

Oh yah, picts.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	new stuff 084.jpg
Views:	326
Size:	18.6 KB
ID:	439  
Old March 26th, 2004, 12:03 PM
Quimbola
Josh
1994 #1695 Not stock.

another

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	new stuff 085.jpg
Views:	309
Size:	20.0 KB
ID:	440  
Old March 26th, 2004, 12:19 PM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

Quote:
She doesn't have insurance, she has something called a financial responsibility waiver
This basically means that she is financially responsible enough to be able to "Insure" herself. When you get a waiver like that you are governed by the same laws as an insurance company. But, it sucks, individuals are harder to get money out of. If you can afford it, drop it off at your favorite mechanic and have them fix everything and submit a bill to her. Be prepared to go to small claims. Hope it all works out for you!

BUCK Wild Racing
Team 911

Rover Tracks
PSC
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline
Old March 26th, 2004, 12:34 PM
TwisteD90
Yousef Hamzeh
06 RR SC, 06 LR3, 94 D90

I never heard this crap here in CO, you either have full coverage or liability, but I could be wrong though.
Do you have full converge on your D90? If so then call your insurance agent and have your insurance fix your 90 and then they'll after her, but you have to pay your deductible.

In 99 some idiot hit my brand new 00 S-500 and ran away and I had my insurance fix it

Also I have one word for you.... Garage.
Old March 26th, 2004, 12:40 PM
Quimbola
Josh
1994 #1695 Not stock.

I had dropped full coverage as I had just bought the Audi, so that SUCKS!!

Oh yah, colorado people, where should I take it to get it checked out? I've never had it worked on, by anyone but me, I don't have time to do it now, work is CRAZY!
Old March 26th, 2004, 01:02 PM
TwisteD90
Yousef Hamzeh
06 RR SC, 06 LR3, 94 D90

Hey let me know when you are home so I can come by and check it out. I also have few parts that I can sell you cheap.

I guess any Rover shop will do, you just have to pay them the hourly rate. Also if it's not drivable let me know as I can help you someway to have towed.
Old March 26th, 2004, 01:51 PM
mhansen
Mike Hansen
97 D-90 SW #2243

Quote:
Originally posted by Quimbola
She doesn't have insurance, she has something called a financial responsibility waiver, anyone heard or dealt with this? She got a ticket for reckless driving.
She's Rich!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Take the BTCH for all you can get out of her.

Since you don't have full coverage you may need to get a hold of a scum sucking bottom feeder (lawyer) to help you out.
Old March 26th, 2004, 02:00 PM
TDI Guy
Randy
2015 LR4
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
from those pics it almost looks like that rear tire is pushed forward a bit. Check the rear trailing arms and measure them . make sure the drivers side one and its bushings are not bent.

Randy
Old March 26th, 2004, 03:54 PM
pangaea
Nathan Hindman
95 Discovery, D130

Josh,

There's a place up in Broomfield called SVE Auto Body. They do most of the warrantee work for the LR Flatirons dealership. You ought to at least give them a call and see what they think. Talk to Mike over there... oh and ask him where my fender is. ;-)

SVE - (303) 466-6717

Thanks,
Nathan Hindman
http://www.pangaea-expeditions.com
Old March 26th, 2004, 04:30 PM
Quimbola
Josh
1994 #1695 Not stock.

Ok, Yousef I'll be home about 5:00, give me a call. 303.909.8888.

This Financial Responsibility looks like a pain in the butt. I agree, I think the tire was pushed forward, AWESOME!

My insurance company had never heard of the Financial Responsibility, basically car is out of service until the insurance company figures out how to take care of it.

The police won't let me contact the driver, so I just have to wait? This BLOWS!!

Car is driveable, but I wouldn't want to go far.

Why would check engine light come on?

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat