Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old July 7th, 2014, 10:38 AM
tjfslaughter
thomas
Burbon

Great Divide Trip and Vehicle Auction

This was posted online.

"Land Rover will auction a restored 1990 Range Rover and an opportunity to attend the 25th anniversary Great Divide expedition. All proceeds from the auction will benefit Tread Lightly! and its goal of promoting responsible outdoor recreation through ethics education and stewardship.
The Range Rover will be auctioned on eBay from August 4-14. The highest bidder will purchase the vehicle and be a guest of Land Rover on a 9-day adventure across some of America’s toughest terrain in the 25th anniversary Great Divide Expedition from September 3-12. The Range Rover will take part in both legs of the Expedition (August 20-28 & September 3-12) and will be delivered to the bidder within 30 days following the end of the Expedition.
The inaugural Great Divide Expedition in the fall of 1989 helped launch Tread Lightly! as a national non-profit focused on fostering an ethic of good stewardship to proactively protect recreation access to America’s lands and waterways. Land Rover is a founding partner of Tread Lightly!.
The 25th anniversary Great Divide Expedition will cover nearly 1,000 miles of unpaved roads and 4x4 trails along a portion of the original Great Divide route. Throughout this expedition, participants will navigate narrow rocky trails with steep drop-offs and mountain passes over 13,000 feet (4,000 meters)."

Found here: http://givingworks.ebay.com/tread-lightly/

Old July 7th, 2014, 10:44 AM
The Dro
Dro
1988 Ninety

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjfslaughter View Post
This was posted online.

"Land Rover will auction a restored 1990 Range Rover and an opportunity to attend the 25th anniversary Great Divide expedition. All proceeds from the auction will benefit Tread Lightly! and its goal of promoting responsible outdoor recreation through ethics education and stewardship.
The Range Rover will be auctioned on eBay from August 4-14. The highest bidder will purchase the vehicle and be a guest of Land Rover on a 9-day adventure across some of America’s toughest terrain in the 25th anniversary Great Divide Expedition from September 3-12. The Range Rover will take part in both legs of the Expedition (August 20-28 & September 3-12) and will be delivered to the bidder within 30 days following the end of the Expedition.
The inaugural Great Divide Expedition in the fall of 1989 helped launch Tread Lightly! as a national non-profit focused on fostering an ethic of good stewardship to proactively protect recreation access to America’s lands and waterways. Land Rover is a founding partner of Tread Lightly!.
The 25th anniversary Great Divide Expedition will cover nearly 1,000 miles of unpaved roads and 4x4 trails along a portion of the original Great Divide route. Throughout this expedition, participants will navigate narrow rocky trails with steep drop-offs and mountain passes over 13,000 feet (4,000 meters)."

Found here: http://givingworks.ebay.com/tread-lightly/
This will go for six figures

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old July 7th, 2014, 11:24 AM
Bill Larson
Bill Larson
97 D90 SW

I'm in...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 7th, 2014, 11:40 AM
Ray_G
Ray Gerber
54 S1 86", 96 D1 (Coyote), 06 D3

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dro View Post
This will go for six figures
While I think that's optimistic...it does make me glad I have the route so I can do it without all the hubub one day.

I do find it ironic that LR is bemoaned for losing its heritage and yet they are the only brand I'm aware of that supports this kind of stuff...b/c I don't count Jeep Jamboree as the same kind of thing.
Old July 7th, 2014, 12:04 PM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
What it doesn't say is that Chris @ Badger completely re-did the entire interior of this classic for JLRNA for this event. So in addition to above truck is new inside.

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Vehicle Shipment and Importation Service
Restoration & Modification work

Old July 7th, 2014, 12:06 PM
The Dro
Dro
1988 Ninety

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Douglas View Post
What it doesn't say is that Chris @ Badger completely re-did the entire interior of this classic for JLRNA for this event. So in addition to above truck is new inside.
Is this the one?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	NB_PB_JLR0032.jpg
Views:	145
Size:	116.3 KB
ID:	98263  

Old July 7th, 2014, 12:17 PM
Jymmiejamz
Jimmy
1995 D90 SW #365

Registry
I'm curious how restored the truck is. I doubt its an ECR quality rebuild.
Old July 7th, 2014, 12:45 PM
tjfslaughter
thomas
Burbon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Douglas View Post
I wonder if they are using the LRNA classic they had in stock. I think it only has 500 or so miles on it. I think they have two....

http://forums.roversnorth.com/showth...Auto-Show-LIVE!
Old July 7th, 2014, 01:28 PM
Viggen
Jarrod
none

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray_G View Post
While I think that's optimistic...it does make me glad I have the route so I can do it without all the hubub one day.

I do find it ironic that LR is bemoaned for losing its heritage and yet they are the only brand I'm aware of that supports this kind of stuff...b/c I don't count Jeep Jamboree as the same kind of thing.
What about Easter Jeep Safari then? Jeep brings concepts out and wheels them. The Jamboree is more of a family trail riding kind of thing but the guy who founded it did Darien Gap and Camel Trophy, if I remember correctly. Jeep officially supports both, with one dating all the way back to Willys.

Ford supports/ sponsors desert racing. Toyota supports/ sponsors desert racing.

It is cool that LR is doing this and I love the RRC. I do think six figures is a bit of a stretch. They might be able to drag it on its side and get $45k for it though.

They, LRNA, loaded this onto YouTube a few days ago. Seems like they might be building up to it
Old July 7th, 2014, 02:24 PM
Ray_G
Ray Gerber
54 S1 86", 96 D1 (Coyote), 06 D3

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viggen View Post
What about Easter Jeep Safari then? Jeep brings concepts out and wheels them. The Jamboree is more of a family trail riding kind of thing but the guy who founded it did Darien Gap and Camel Trophy, if I remember correctly. Jeep officially supports both, with one dating all the way back to Willys.

Ford supports/ sponsors desert racing. Toyota supports/ sponsors desert racing.
I don't think desert racing conveys quite the same message as taking (mostly) stock vehicles and doing things like the CT, G4, or even the other things like the TAT, Journey of Discovery, or the Great Divide Expedition(s). I guess in simplest terms they are alike, but I view desert racing as not much off from NASCAR sponsorship, F1, etc.

Alternatively instead of high spec'd out vehicles, LR is basically continuing to throw down that their platforms can go out and about (and if they'd stop putting low profile tires on things they'd do even better). While everyone bemoans them drifting from their heritage, they're still doing it and others simply don't.

I say kudos to them for continuing to put their stuff out there (when they really don't have to, the people buying RRS's really don't care)
r-
Ray
Old July 7th, 2014, 02:42 PM
tjfslaughter
thomas
Burbon

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSBriggs View Post
Nope. That is an 87. Exposed door hinges, different gauges, different interior door panels, verticle stitching on the seats, LT230, and no ABS.

-Jeff
There was two classics at the event in NYC. Not sure what the other one was.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	2classics.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	105.9 KB
ID:	98272  
Old July 7th, 2014, 10:02 PM
Coniston
Greg Fitzgerald
1993 RRC LWB, 1994 D1

The '87 was one they bought from a Rover enthusiast in California in 2011 or 2012. It actually had a 4.6 in it at that point, and some other tweaks which they were undoing. Supposedly they were restoring it completely, going back to a 3.5 and everything stock, though I haven't heard of that truck since the 25th anniversary of RRNA/LRNA in 2012. I assume it's in the LRNA "archive," which I think is at the Experience centre in Asheville. I do know that they put on some of the few stockpiled Michelin XMS 244 tyres.

The '95 was one of, if not the, final NAS RRCs.

From what I understood from a conversation with Tom Collins at that event (where I actually had discussed with him a "Great Divide 25" expedition, though I don't know that that would have been the catalyst), there were a few extra sets of kit, especially the decals, in existence from 1989. One of them is on a replica truck that showed up at Overland Expo last year, I think the owners are from Ohio.

I also got an email from Land Rover last week advertising this expedition -- for prices ranging from $9,000 for a single on the 9-day trip to $14,000 for a couple on the 10-day.
Old September 1st, 2014, 08:08 PM
dave_lucas
Dave Lucas
None

Came across 4 newer range rovers and a original great divide rrc. The new frc that was restored is at the 4 seasons right now so I did not get to see it

Name:	ForumRunner_20140901_180702.png
Views:	86
Size:	423.9 KB
ID:	101934

Name:	ForumRunner_20140901_180717.png
Views:	83
Size:	461.6 KB
ID:	101935

Name:	ForumRunner_20140901_180737.png