Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old April 28th, 2006, 09:30 AM
Flagg
Flagg
1995 Defender 90 NAS

GREAT DAY at Asseteague Island, MD

Hi,

We just got back from a great weekend at the beach…........We have been doing this for years - but have not done it since 2000........Check out the attached picture from our day on Asseteague Island (this is the first time I have tried to attach a picture on this website - I hope it comes out.……….

The day included driving on the sand and the bay roads, playing Bocce in the Sand, and a picnic/games on the roof of the cars. Brought back memories of things that we had done years ago…………
Took the window tops off, as you will notice. SO VERY COOL.

I have also build a roof platform. The roof basket of the Defender is just a bit larger than 4x6. The platform that I made uses 3 pieces of 2x4x3/4" plywood. I put edge protectors arround the edges, and put some 12" vinyl tile squares on the front. I put rubber strips on the back, so the pieces would stay in one place. The 3 platform segments easilly fit in the back (on on top the other). The rubber strips also keep them from sliding arround when you are driving. It only takes a few minutest to set up on top the car. When we find a spot that we want to have a picnic, or play games - we always have a spot to sit.

After the day on the beach, I spent a ton of time washing the sand off the car with high powered hoses from one of those do-it-yourself places. Then I brought home, and re-washed it myself by hand. Super vacuumed and wiped down the interior……..The downside of this adventure is the sand and salt water- I am sure weekends like this do not help the rust on the vehicle - but I always try to do a good job cleaning the car - and it still looks pretty good after all these years.

Lots of great memories this weekend…….Usually everyone just posts pictures of their D90, or detailed question areas. My wife and I wanted to share with everyone a picture of US with our D-90.

I love this website............thanks to everyone for all the help, humor, and stories!

Flagg
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	beach-sm.jpg
Views:	162
Size:	32.3 KB
ID:	5584  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 28th, 2006, 10:12 AM
chrisvonc
Chris von C
No Defender at this time

You'll be finding sand in all the nooks and crannies until the end of time. Rovers like to keep little physical memories like that forever regardless how much you vacumn.

Gret picture!

Please email one of the current MODs if you need assistance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lriwater: As you know, most wives don't like Series trucks due to the ride and lack of creature comforts. Girlfriends seem to like those, but some sort of magic happens during the wedding ceremony.
[/size]
Old April 28th, 2006, 10:25 AM
Flagg
Flagg
1995 Defender 90 NAS

Chris,

You are right! I do think I got most of it in the 4 year break that the truck had from the beaches......but I know I did not get it all this cleaning. Everytime I thought I had - I found another area! I am sure I will continue to find more over time..........

Glad you liked the picture!

Flagg
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 28th, 2006, 10:35 AM
Trigger
Tony Fannin
'94 D-90 #491

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisvonc
You'll be finding sand in all the nooks and crannies until the end of time. Rovers like to keep little physical memories like that forever regardless how much you vacumn.
When I pulled my tranny to do the clutch work 2 months ago I was finding bits of shells and sand on top of everything in there. I had cleaned it many times with the pressure washer since my last trip to the beach. You'll never get it all. Some of the shells I found were an inch or more across. I'm glad rust isn't a real big issue here in Texas. When I pulled the seatbox I found colors of dirt I'd never wheeled in. A gift from the PO I guess.
Old April 28th, 2006, 02:35 PM
Flagg
Flagg
1995 Defender 90 NAS

Dillo90,

Where where you off-roading where you picked up all those shells??

Flagg
Old April 28th, 2006, 03:25 PM
Trigger
Tony Fannin
'94 D-90 #491

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flagg
Where where you off-roading where you picked up all those shells??
Padre Island National Seashore

One of my favoritest places on earth. 60 miles of beach to stretch out on. It's the longest bit of undeveloped beach in the lower 48. There's no real offroading as the dunes are offlimits but you do need 4WD to get away from the crowds on the first 5 miles or so. You drive on the beach between the duns and the water. Sometimes that's not much squeezing room. Go down beach about 30-40 miles and you won't see a soul.
Last time I was there when we walked down to the water's edge and looked both ways, up and down beach, we couldn't see a single light or fire for miles in each direction. All you have are the stars and the lights of a few oil platforms offshore. It was just me, my wife, and son. About as far as you can get from people anywhere near here. It is roughing it though. No water. No bathrooms. No electricity. No cellphone service. Nothing. Which is exactly what I want.
The shells come from an stretch called Big Shell Beach. The beach is literally made up of shells, not sand. Headed down there in a few weeks again with the Texas Rovers club to hang out.
Old April 30th, 2006, 11:36 AM
Flagg
Flagg
1995 Defender 90 NAS

Dillo90,

That sounds awesome, thanks for sharing your favorite place. The Maryland part of Asseteague Island sounds similar. There used to be a 'bayside' road, and a beach - but huricanes have reduced this to just driving on the beach........

It is about 16 miles long. If you drive down 10-12 miles..........it gets pretty sparce of people. Kind of like you describe. But I can not imagine what it must be like driving down 30-40 miles on your beach. Better start with a full tank of gas!

Big Shell beach sounds really neat as well.........

Flagg
Old April 30th, 2006, 11:57 AM
tkavan01
Trevor K
94 d90 #1304

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dillo90
Padre Island National Seashore

One of my favoritest places on earth. 60 miles of beach to stretch out on. It's the longest bit of undeveloped beach in the lower 48. There's no real offroading as the dunes are offlimits but you do need 4WD to get away from the crowds on the first 5 miles or so. You drive on the beach between the duns and the water. Sometimes that's not much squeezing room. Go down beach about 30-40 miles and you won't see a soul.
Last time I was there when we walked down to the water's edge and looked both ways, up and down beach, we couldn't see a single light or fire for miles in each direction. All you have are the stars and the lights of a few oil platforms offshore. It was just me, my wife, and son. About as far as you can get from people anywhere near here. It is roughing it though. No water. No bathrooms. No electricity. No cellphone service. Nothing. Which is exactly what I want.
The shells come from an stretch called Big Shell Beach. The beach is literally made up of shells, not sand. Headed down there in a few weeks again with the Texas Rovers club to hang out.
wow being from jersey it's hard for me to imagine more then a mile of undeveloped beach, and it would be unheard of to camp there! the rich people would get too pissed... grrr i hate the northeast...
Old April 30th, 2006, 08:31 PM
waveridin1959
Brian Jones
1995 D-90 ST #2892

Registry
You can start north of Coralla, NC and drive on beach to Virginia. Can't remember the miles. Haven't done it years.

“Human sacrifice, dogs and cats living together… mass hysteria!”
Old April 30th, 2006, 09:27 PM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
wanna get together one weekend and make a run for it?
Old May 1st, 2006, 12:56 AM
sherpamike
Mike Doligalski
'95 D90 ST

Registry
i would love to do a weekend trip
Old May 1st, 2006, 08:37 AM
waveridin1959
Brian Jones
1995 D-90 ST #2892

Registry
I wonder if is still open. I don't know how bad the erosion is that far north. I'll find out.

“Human sacrifice, dogs and cats living together… mass hysteria!”

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat