Grand Canyon - 4x4 + hiking. Planning info for a trip - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old January 18th, 2005, 01:04 PM
paulb
Paul / Boultbee
1994 D-90, Green #1576

Question Grand Canyon - 4x4 + hiking. Planning info for a trip

I am thinking of a trip to the Grand Canyon sometime in May or June. I'll drive from LA and am looking for places in the area I can drive in to. I understand the Grand Canyon can be a zoo with tonnes of people and that overnight permits are really tough to come by. So I'd like to use the D90 for fire access roads to get to secluded hiking areas were the people are not. On a trip to Yosemite this past August, I vowed NEVER to go to the valley again because of the numbers of people (and thier disrespect for the area), but the back side of the valley and T. meadows were great.
Is it true there are only 3 main routes into the Grand Canyon area (2 at the south rim, 1 at the north rim) but what of non-main routes? There will be 2 to 3 of us and although I'd like to do some real off roading, the others will fly in from the east coast and hiking/mountain biking are thier real love.
If anyone has experience getting into the Grand Canyon and recommendations with trails, areas, maps, websites etc, please let me know. We are experienced hikers and have hiked Rainier, Whitney, and lots in the Northeast
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 18th, 2005, 01:12 PM
chrisvonc
Chris von C
No Defender at this time

that is correct, the South rim has only 2 entrances. One that runs straight up from the south into the main complex and one to the east at the far end of the park. The north rim has the one road to the visitors area. I dont have my maps from when we stopped there a few years ago but I can dig them up and get more detailed if no one else add in. There are some trails for trucks but i think they are only on the very outskirts of the park. Someone over on DiscoWeb took a trip on one of those trails last year but I dont recall who it was off hand, may have been Blue.

Please email one of the current MODs if you need assistance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lriwater: As you know, most wives don't like Series trucks due to the ride and lack of creature comforts. Girlfriends seem to like those, but some sort of magic happens during the wedding ceremony.
[/size]
Old January 18th, 2005, 03:59 PM
WCURoverD90
Jason Habbal
1997 Defender 90 #1104

I don't know about 4-wheeling but i do know the hiking that i did on my second trip out there was great but very very challenging. I hiked from the top down to Plateau point from in the southern rim. Its not the longest hike but it will put a whooping on you. Allow double the time or more to get back up. Going down can be done very easily while going up will kick your ass. It is def. worth it to get up and watch the sun come up over the canyon if your out there...That was one of the most beautiful things i have ever seen....

Jason Habbal

Land Rover-The Best 4x4xFar
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 18th, 2005, 10:48 PM
Rod Hayward
Rod Hayward
95 D90 Green #2288

I'm dating myself here, but I did the Tanner trail from the South Rim back in '83 or '84. I was in college in Durango, CO at the time and it was a good, quick, spring break trip. We went up to the confluence of the Colorado and the Little Colorado rivers. We were told to stay back from the rivers edge there because the humpback chub (fish) were mating . What a great trip... It was 75 degrees at the bottom and snowing at the top. It is some serious vertical but, unlike Jason, going down kicked my ass. This trail is at the far east end of the park and at the time was less popular. For more current info you might try http://www.grandcanyonhiker.com They have good info about permits and trail difficulty.

Rod
Old January 18th, 2005, 11:23 PM
WCURoverD90
Jason Habbal
1997 Defender 90 #1104

Rod i have heard that the Tanner trail is a good trail but will also kick your ass...Im looking forward to going back for a 3rd time and hiking some of the other trails....For the most part, no matter what yuo do out there you will understand why everyone who has been says pictures cannot even begin to explain the beauty of the canyon..If you go on Google or something and search grand canyon trails as well as teh site Rod put up you can find out all the information on all the trails....My dad was out there a couple months ago and said it was gorgeous with all the snow and all.....

Jason

Oh BTW is it still called the Tanner Trail...i know they changed the road names and all...j/w

Old January 19th, 2005, 10:18 AM
Rod Hayward
Rod Hayward
95 D90 Green #2288

Hey Jason, Have you done Havasu Creek?
My brother went part way up it a couple years ago while rafting the river, he said it was like an oasis. Lots of waterfalls, ferns, etc. Also a place called "the green room" where you swim up under a waterfall into a cave that has air in it so you can breathe! I guess you have to get a permit from the Indian reservation to go down from the top. Sounds like a must do trip.

Rod
Old January 19th, 2005, 03:08 PM
WCURoverD90
Jason Habbal
1997 Defender 90 #1104

No i have not done Havasu Creek....Is it on the north or south rim....I have only been to the south rim and hiked there. I am looking forward to going back out there whenever i get out of school or during the summer or something...When my dad, mother, sister, and I were out there we did a slow rafting trip down teh colorado river and went right through the canyon...We also took a plane ride over all the canyon...I def. recommend that to anyone who goes out there...That was simply amazing. They fly you over the canyon and all around and they used to be able to fly down into the bigger parts of the canyon but they outlawed that or something. I will have to look up the Havasu Creek trail...That sounds like it would be awesome....What is the distance on that trail...Is it a camping overnight deal or a day hike???

Jason

Old January 20th, 2005, 02:10 PM
paulb
Paul / Boultbee
1994 D-90, Green #1576

Have looked tat the web link.
Thanks for the tips.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Tags
4x4, trip