Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old October 10th, 2006, 03:51 PM
GliderKing
Robert Bingham
97 ST D90

Registry
GPS v2

Was thinking of ditching my 4.5year old Garmin IIIplus and get one of the new fangled GPS units like the TomTom and such. Since the last time i was in the market, things have changed significantly. What are you currently using? What are you interested in?

1997 NAS 90 ST
1985 110 RHD 300tdi ROW
@gliderking instagram, twitter
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 10th, 2006, 10:43 PM
flippedrover
Tyler
'94 D-90

A gazateer,ADC mapbooks if available and USGS topos. Have yet to find a need for GPS.
and you're the only bait in town.
You got fins to the left, fins to the right,
and you're the only girl in town.

Jimmy Buffett

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old October 11th, 2006, 08:38 AM
Monkeyboy

Mine's gotta be fifteen years old. The only thing it gets used for is seeing just how far off my speedometer is

Oh, alright ... I used it once in NM to find a trail head. Took me a minute to figure out that the map coordinates I had were Hr/Min/Sec and the GPS was reading in decimal equivalants .... geeenius

Seriously, the ancient GPS and a map ... what else do you need ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 11th, 2006, 09:37 AM
roverboy
Thomas
Booger

Garmin GPS V...My wife bought it for me for my birthday a few years ago right before we went to the Uwharrie Safari. She spent about $500 bucks on it then, so i suspect it's cheaper now. It's b&w but it has maps for he entire U.S. and includes exit information (gas, restaurants, shopping, lodging, etc.) and all the other standard features that all GPS's have...speed, sirection, elevation, eta, etc. We never take a road trip without it. Even if we know where we are going.

We have maps too, but the dash mounted GPS is the way to go.
Old October 11th, 2006, 09:39 AM
Rod Hayward
Rod Hayward
95 D90 Green #2288

Quote:
Originally Posted by flippedrover
Have yet to find a need for GPS.
If you are talking about in a vehicle, then I agree completely. However, I love GPS. I grew up navigating by compass and topos. When GPS first came available I nailed one and I've upgraded a couple times since. The preciseness of them is amazing. From trying to find a small spring, or a back country hut in a blizzard, to trying to locate my vehicle at times, they are great.

I try to never put myself in a position where I would have to rely solely on GPS, but it sure is handy.
Old October 11th, 2006, 12:23 PM
Billakris
Kris
Alpine White 95 Soft Top

ill put in my 2 cents for Garmin. There world headquarters are like 15 mins from my house and seeing them grow to what they are now has been amazing. Even as a huge company, I have had great customer support with them... i.e. i called up the support number on their website and was suprised to hear a womans voice answer after 2 rings.
I have a GPS V as well and couldnt be happier with its versatility, rugedness and features. Except for the fact that mine is getting old and still uses serial port and not usb.
Old October 12th, 2006, 08:56 AM
flippedrover
Tyler
'94 D-90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rod Hayward
If you are talking about in a vehicle, then I agree completely. However, I love GPS. I grew up navigating by compass and topos. When GPS first came available I nailed one and I've upgraded a couple times since. The preciseness of them is amazing. From trying to find a small spring, or a back country hut in a blizzard, to trying to locate my vehicle at times, they are great.

I try to never put myself in a position where I would have to rely solely on GPS, but it sure is handy.
Yeah. I have a Garmin II that i bought a long time ago anf played with it. Unfortunatly the internal battery on it is faulty so once the main batteries died or were removed it lost its memory. I"ll admit that I do use GPS to lay out bouys for a triathalon every year.
and you're the only bait in town.
You got fins to the left, fins to the right,
and you're the only girl in town.

Jimmy Buffett

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Tags
gps