GPS V Issues - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old December 20th, 2006, 08:40 PM
steinhnj
Neil Steinhagen
1990 Perentie GS

GPS V Issues

Saw that some of youse guys are using the Garmin GPS V. PLEASE HELP!

I bought a refurb GPS V from eBay. Turned it on, it thought I was in Tokyo. Told it my location and it started looking for satellites. Nothing. It sat on my deck for 2 hours and nothing. Called Garmin and they said send it in. I sent it in. Got it back today with a report stating that my unit was replaced by another, and that the new unit was tested and aquired satellites and met all neccessary criteria. When I turned it on, it thought I was in Kansas or something. I told it a new locaiton and nothing! Been sitting on my deck for 45 minutes now. And not one stinking satellite has been aquired.

Am I doing something obviously wrong? Have I discovered a terrorist plot to jam GPS signals in CT? ARGHHH! I've tried an open field as well, letting it sit for 15 minutes. All the articles I can get my hands on state that almanac data should take no more than 15 minutes. 30 minutes top. The unit was mailed to me without batteries, and the unit time is 12 FEB 04. So whatever data it got while at Garmin I'm guessing has been lost.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 20th, 2006, 09:12 PM
Defender13
Mike Lynch
1994 Defender 90 #1017

I have the Vplus and it won't work inside the house. You must be outside. It should only take a couple minutes on a cloudy day and a minute or so on a sunny day. The reason why it is showing Tokyo/Kansas is becuase of the last time/place these particualr units had established a sat. connection.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old December 20th, 2006, 10:34 PM
Billakris
Kris
Alpine White 95 Soft Top

the first time they are turned on or if they havnt been used in a while, it takes a while for them the calibrate your location. I think 45 mins is a little much, but if its from here in KC to VT then it really isnt anywhere near where it "thinks" it is.
is it couldy out? that really affects its performance on the first turn on as well. wait for a clear day and just let it sit for 10 mins and it should be good. if it still isnt connected something is wrong.
Advertisement

Old December 20th, 2006, 10:42 PM
steinhnj
Neil Steinhagen
1990 Perentie GS

The other problem is that the batteries get sucked dry trying to aquire satellites. The spec sheet says that batteries are supposed to last 25 hours. I'm assuming that aquiring satellites takes more power? I end up plugging it in to the cig lighter. These are the SAME symptoms that the old unit was having. Coincidence, or am I doing something wrong?
Old December 20th, 2006, 11:36 PM
LenB
Len Bruffett
NAS '97 ST /SW-POE Config

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by steinhnj
The other problem is that the batteries get sucked dry trying to aquire satellites. The spec sheet says that batteries are supposed to last 25 hours. I'm assuming that aquiring satellites takes more power? I end up plugging it in to the cig lighter. These are the SAME symptoms that the old unit was having. Coincidence, or am I doing something wrong?
I use a magellan hand held - it too sometimes takes afew minutes to aquire a fix when first powered up. Mine acquires position a litttle faster if I am moving - either walking or driving.

Len

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old December 21st, 2006, 08:27 AM
snuffer
Randy Black
'95 D 90 SW

Don't know about the V but on some units you can enter lat/lon to tell it where in the world it is.
Old December 21st, 2006, 10:43 AM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
You don't "need" to do anything. All that knowing its current location and time does is that it tries to look for certain satellites first. There are 30 satellites and twelve channels. It waits around 30 seconds per channel and then tries other ones. You should never need to do anything. I've been all over the world and you just turn it on and wait 10 minutes max.

Go to the satellite page. Does it show any satellites signals? Is the antenna plugged in and pointing UP?

http://www.garmin.com/products/manual.jsp?product=010-00226-03
Old December 21st, 2006, 10:52 AM
steinhnj
Neil Steinhagen
1990 Perentie GS

Yes, it's pointing up. No, there's no satellites. I called Garmin this morning and they had me do a master reset. Still nothing. I set a record for going through 4 AAs, 14 minutes while trying to aquire. I've been trying to call them back to no avail.
Old December 21st, 2006, 03:00 PM
Emerson00
Matt J.
None at the moment

Something wrong with the unit, a setting gone very bad, or something very wrong with your location (are there high power lines overhead?). There are occasionally bad days for GPS, but this sounds like more than that. I've turned mine on in Ireland after being off and dead batteries for 6 months... took about 10 minutes to have a good fix to within a few feet.
Old December 21st, 2006, 05:38 PM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
There is something seriously wrong. Acquiring satellites should not affect battery life.

Have you removed the antenna to see if the connectors is OK?
Old December 21st, 2006, 06:20 PM
steinhnj
Neil Steinhagen
1990 Perentie GS

I did that to the first one. Nothing out of the ordinary. I asked the tech if they bench test them with the included antanae or if they hook it up to an external and he said that they use the included antanae. I just got off the phone with another guy from Garmin and he is going to request a newly refurb model from the factory and is going to take it home with him over the weekend and use it to make sure everything works fine, then mail it off to me once he gets mine.

Sucks that I've had bad luck, but gotta say that Garmin's customer service has not disappointed me. Oh, and thanks to the D-90 customer service department.
Old December 21st, 2006, 06:31 PM
Billakris
Kris
Alpine White 95 Soft Top

hope everything turns out all right for you. THe battery thing is really strange, Ive never had batteries go faster than 10 hours of use.
Garmin is a class act when it comes to customer service in my oppinion.
Old December 21st, 2006, 07:55 PM
Emerson00
Matt J.
None at the moment

bad luck is my guess.. We've had some very high end Leica GPS stuff fail because of a comm board in the units that went to crap for no apparent reason... result: no satellites. Problem is, it didn't set any codes, warnings, errors, or anything - even for the techs. It took them along time to diagnose the problem (trial and error). We could have bought nearly 100 V's for one of those Leicas, so don't feel (too) bad.

Gamin is good people. Hope they fix it for you.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Tags
gps