GPS Units - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Join the Defender Source Community Today

Old December 28th, 2006, 01:49 PM
1994 White D90 ST
GPS Units

Just wondering what GPS Units people are using? Pros Cons, etc.

Anything in particular that makes one unit better than another?

I already have my Ipod piped into the stereo so no need for any mp3 capabilities, etc.

Just looking for easy map navigation, etc.

Old December 28th, 2006, 02:00 PM
DJ Menasco
DJ Menasco
I have a Garmin 176C.

The screen is big enough to see detailed topo or city icons from either the drivers or passenger's seat. The 176C has been replaced by the 276C. I believe it or the 376C can translate weather data if you pay the monthly fee.

I was specifically drawn to 176C's data card capabilities. With a USB port-system you can transfer maps from your PC to the card(s). Some people just run their 176C dirctly to thier laptop, but that option really decreases space in the already crowded Defender.

I purchased both my Garmin 176c & V units from If you do go with the Garmin 276/376C family you really need to get an external antenna. The reception with the stock antenna is variable.

Good Luck.

Old December 28th, 2006, 05:40 PM
Neil Steinhagen
1986 Tithonus LHD
I bought my wife a Garmin Nuvi 350. It's very nice. Small, thin, has an internal Li-ion battery that lasts 4-8 hours. Took about 5 minutes to aquire satellites on initial start up. Out of the box it's ready to go. Entire US loaded onto it. No hooking up to a computer, but also has the ability to handle an SD card with custom points of interests.

I have a Garmin GPS V. It's a first generation automotive GPS that has the re-route calculation feature. It's very rugged (waterproof to a point) and keeps in line with the utillitarian feel of the D90 (if that's your thing). Can also double as a hiiking GPS with 4 new AA batteries lasting about 24 hours. Cons: 19 MB of internal memory with no expansion capablilities. Not a problem if you travel local (I can fit the entire state of CT on it), but you can run into problems for detailed maps over long distances. The base map does include the entire US' major roads though. Pro: about 185 bucks on eBay. Garmin no longer makes this model, but provides WONDERFUL customer support (no sarcasm). The Nuvi is around $545-$600 bucks, so you can easliy see the difference. The V also has a black and white screen as opposed to the nice color one of the Nuvi. Overall, I am very pleased with both; the Nuvi is a no brainer, out of the box performer (perfect for my wife who believes that Satan controls all electronic devices) while the V is a classic, no frills ride that performs basic functions without a hitch, kinda like the Rover.

Joking about the whole Satan thing. Had to say that in case my wife walks in.
Old December 28th, 2006, 06:36 PM
Trevor Tarr
Trevor Tarr
1997 D-90 4.6 NAS ST
I'm using an old Garmin eMap, basically just feeding to my laptop.

I almost bought a Nuvi 660, mostly for its large highly-legible color screen, in-town navigation, and portability. But the lack of any NMEA output was a deal-breaker. I need to be able to see exactly where I am, on a detailed topo map. (I use the National Geographic Topo! software on a permanently in-cab laptop.) With the Nuvi, you also can't load maps, or even routes, just Points of Interest.
Old December 28th, 2006, 07:05 PM
Tony Brooks
I use an etrek vista for hiking and wheeling, have been happy with it save the lack of ability to add an external antenna. Just got a magellan roadmate for xmas, though I haven't gotten it up and running yet as I need to get the right map for it, which has so far involved 3 calls to CSRs in Bombay and promises of them both sending the right sim chip and a new unit alltogether -- we'll see. I'll report back when it's running.
Old December 28th, 2006, 09:41 PM
Jack Walter
1966 109 SW Diesel
I have a Lowrance Baja 480C unit - nice big screen (almost too big) but I like it pretty well - just haven't figured out how to use all of the features yet. I really think the Garmin 276 is the best unit out there right now but it can run you several hundred dollars more than what I paid for the Lowrance - it would be big enough to see and a it seems to have a little more flexibility.
Old December 29th, 2006, 11:42 AM
Andrew Walcker
1997 Defender 90 LE
I've been running the Garmin 76CS for two years with great results. It can upload maps, has some marine charts already loaded, and is water-proof and floats. The unit does triple duty between the boat, rover and hiking. The new model has a plug in for pre-loaded SD cards, a real time saver. The screen is color and is very easy to read in low or bright lights.
Old December 29th, 2006, 08:19 PM
Brian Love
Personally, I would stay away from Magellan. It is the Sony of GPS. It only works with Magellan map sets. I have found Garmin to be the most user friendly and you have more options available in the software arena. I have the Vista myself, It is not bad on batteries and is not tied to the truck. I don't get turn by turn, but that is what the co-pilot is for (that and getting drinks). I too wish it had an external antenna option, but I bet it would be hell on batteries. My $0.02.

Inspirational Thought of the Day

Some people are like Slinkies ...
Not really good for anything, but they still bring a smile to your face when
you push them down a flight of stairs.

1995 Discovery

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat