GPS Question (mine got stolen..) - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old May 14th, 2004, 12:43 PM
norros
Nicholas Orros
1995 NAS D90 SW

Unhappy GPS Question (mine got stolen..)

Well, a short while back my GPS got stolen out of the D90... It was a Garmin StreetPilot Colormap, not the StreetPilot III.

I want to get something similar ... maybe the StreetPilot III but maybe not as bulky... but I'd like it in color, but doesn't have to be. I rarely lock my truck up so I need to be able to 'carry' it sometimes.

do you guys have any suggestions ?

Thanks

Nicholas Orros

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 14th, 2004, 12:50 PM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
If you want a color handheld (instead of the auto mount style III) then either a:

GPSMAP76C
or
GPSMAP60C

Have a browse around the forums at Geocaching.com

The people there are the most serious enthusiasts and have the newest and up to date information.
Old May 14th, 2004, 12:54 PM
Troys
Troy Smith
1995 D90 SW

I fello rover buddy in town has the Garmin 60 CS. I have played around with just a bit. It is awsome. The screen has very good resolution and it is big enough to see well at night but small enough to take out and take along with you. It will certainly be my next purchase.

Troy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 14th, 2004, 12:57 PM
chrisvonc
Chris von C
No Defender at this time

the 176 is a nice option. Same type of frame and screen.

Please email one of the current MODs if you need assistance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lriwater: As you know, most wives don't like Series trucks due to the ride and lack of creature comforts. Girlfriends seem to like those, but some sort of magic happens during the wedding ceremony.
[/size]
Old May 14th, 2004, 01:24 PM
DJ Menasco
DJ Menasco
#500/500

I had the Garmin V prior to my 176C and it proved to be too burdensome to view on the dash of my D90, although great for portability.

If you were just looking for a stationary GPS for your D90 I'd go with the 176C. Here's a link to a fantastic deal (http://www.gpsnow.com/gmmap176c.htm). Garmin is running a rebate special on this model so it prices out around $400, which is a pretty good price considering the competition.

As far as mounting goes you can build your own for about $30 in materials and probably another $70 if you decide to use a RAM mounting system. You can use the mount that will come with the 176C kit, but its prone to shattering. If you wheel quite a bit or run your D90 pretty hard Id definitely consider the RAM system. The RAM mounting system is exceptionally sound and utilizes a metal mounting base rather than plastic one.

The 176C and mounting base affixes itself in place of the ashtray on the dash of your D90. The beauty of this system (with or without the RAM mount) is that it resembles factory materials and is removable so if you don't want it mounted to your dash you can reinstall the ashtray, which takes about 2 minutes to remove/reinstall. ECR built a similar one to mine. I've left a picture of it at the bottom.

If you're interested in the mount let me know and I'll snap some pictures of it along with some instructions and a material list. Hope this helps.

DJ
Attached Images

Old May 14th, 2004, 03:52 PM
norros
Nicholas Orros
1995 NAS D90 SW

purchased

Thanks guys for the input and although the 176c would have been nice (the guy told me that Garmin is discontinuing that one for the 276c) it was too big and I have a habit of not locking my doors.

So, I went with the GPSmap 60C

I wanted to spend the extra $50 and get the 60CS, which adds an electronic compass & barometric altimeter but I really don't need them. It came down to 'who had what' and the size... The 60C is perfect right now. Purchased it for $450.

Well, I just got back to the office and am going to turn it on and play with it for a while and test it out tomorrow in the Appalachicola Forest for a 'short run'.

Nicholas Orros

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old May 14th, 2004, 04:09 PM
Mike Hippert
D-90Slut/Stalker,SNLPres
94 D-90 Grinding Rover

Hey nice mount DJ. Whats in the stereo box below the mount?

O and I have a 6 year old Garmin III that gets held to the dash with Velcro! Get some of the big thick heavy duty stuff at Home Depot. Holds real well, I have to pry it apart with a screwdriver, although i like DJ's cleaner neater more professional looking system better.
Old May 14th, 2004, 04:23 PM
DJ Menasco
DJ Menasco
#500/500

Quote:
Originally posted by Mike Hippert
Hey nice mount DJ. Whats in the stereo box below the mount?
Oops! I forgot to mention that the picture was of someone else's D90. That's the mount ECR built, but mine is exactly the same.

Quote:
O and I have a 6 year old Garmin III that gets held to the dash with Velcro! Get some of the big thick heavy duty stuff at Home Depot. Holds real well, I have to pry it apart with a screwdriver, although i like DJ's cleaner neater more professional looking system better.
That's the same setup I had with my Garmin V! That HD-Velcro really did the trick, but in the end I didn't like it permanently mounted to the dash. It was a pain to remove too! In the end I wanted to maintain the presence of a stock interior so a friend of mine and I made these removable mounts that fit nicely into the ashtray for our 176C.

DJ
Old May 14th, 2004, 04:29 PM
Mike Hippert
D-90Slut/Stalker,SNLPres
94 D-90 Grinding Rover

Yeah it is kinda a pain to remove but I only put it on for long trips.
Nice Signature DJ. I like how it gets someone else in trouble while being entertaining for everyone.
Old May 16th, 2004, 07:59 PM
DJ Menasco
DJ Menasco
#500/500

Quote:
Originally posted by Mike Hippert
Nice Signature DJ. I like how it gets someone else in trouble while being entertaining for everyone.
FINALLY! You're the only one to notice............at least publicly.

DJ
Old May 17th, 2004, 08:19 AM
Mike Hippert
D-90Slut/Stalker,SNLPres
94 D-90 Grinding Rover

I'm waiting for Slade or Yousef to reply.

When you ran power to the GPS did you just hid it behind the defroster vents and down the drivers side.
Old May 17th, 2004, 12:47 PM
DJ Menasco
DJ Menasco
#500/500

Quote:
I'm waiting for Slade or Yousef to Reply

So am I, but I don't think either have noticed. It's either that or they've become mortal enemies becasue of what Yousefe said about Mike!

In order to plumb a power/ground line to the GPS I actually removed the top of the dash and ran both leads strait down to the stock fuse/relay center. I had an empty relay plug and I used both the hot and ground terminals to power the GPS.

DJ
Old May 17th, 2004, 01:14 PM
Mike Hippert
D-90Slut/Stalker,SNLPres
94 D-90 Grinding Rover

UHG! too many screws to remove that frickin dash!
Old May 17th, 2004, 02:37 PM
DJ Menasco
DJ Menasco
#500/500

Too many screws!!! Oh man Mike, did you just eat a big bowl of wussy flakes! Just kidding, there aren't that many. Just pull off the console, the screws up front and top and lift! She'll come right off!!

This is one of the many reasons why I love the Defender. Its extremely user friendly and doesn't require any outside service, e.g. a dealer, to perform small custom maintenance projects.

DJ
Old May 17th, 2004, 03:08 PM
Mike Hippert
D-90Slut/Stalker,SNLPres
94 D-90 Grinding Rover

I don't know? I must have done something wrong last time but I pulled off all the screws along the top and the ones on the side and it would not move (2 screws on each vent then like 3 more on top and 1 or 2 on each side). It felt like there were some big bolts holding it down. I also pulled off that Grey vent cover and parts of the lower dash. Then after it was still stuck on I said SCREW IT! I think the PO removed it and lost some of the screws because the screws holding it on looked like drywall screws.
Old May 17th, 2004, 03:39 PM
DJ Menasco
DJ Menasco
#500/500

Did you remove the three black screws that attach the top of the grey backing to the bottom of the dash? They're actually quite difficult to see.

DJ
Old May 17th, 2004, 04:47 PM
Mike Hippert
D-90Slut/Stalker,SNLPres
94 D-90 Grinding Rover

HMMMM?????

I don't think I did. But I have absolutely no current desire to open that can of worms up again.

Old May 17th, 2004, 07:26 PM
DJ Menasco
DJ Menasco
#500/500

Damn, that must have been really frustrating Mike! Eh..its really "six one way-half a dozen the other" when it comes to running that wire.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Tags
gps