GPS Mount in D90 Soft Top - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old October 16th, 2003, 08:30 AM
ronward
Redsrover
None - sadly

GPS Mount in D90 Soft Top

I'll be mounting my Magellan 330 gps unit to the left of the instruments on the top of the dash, up against the windshield with a swivel mount I have ordered from Magellan. Anyone suggest a SAFE way to hard wire (power) the unit rather than using the cigarette lighter? I feel like the electrical systems in these trucks is fairly fragile and want to avoid overloading something.

Ron Ward
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 16th, 2003, 10:01 AM
Mike Hippert
D-90Slut/Stalker,SNLPres
94 D-90 Grinding Rover

I would avoid the 90s wiring alltogether. I would run a set of wires behind the heater vents across the dash, down the drivers side to the lower dash part that is held in place by 3 screws. Behind that there is a knockout with a rubber gromet in it next to the wiper fluid hose. Pass the +12 volt wire threw the hole and ground the other to the wiper moter. Then run the +12 wire under the 90 along the frame to the Battery box and connect it to an inline fuse the to the battery. This is what I do forall my add ons. If you have allot of other things to hook up I would suggest a fuse box from Painless wiring. If you want to turn the power going to the GPS on and off with the ignition then I would use a relay and the power to the radio as the turn on for the relay.
Old October 16th, 2003, 11:51 AM
ronward
Redsrover
None - sadly

Good idea taken a step further. I think I'll run the wires as you suggest, but use my exisiting cig lighter plug adapter for the GPS and connect it to a remote aux cig lighter wired directly to the battery pos and neg. That way I can remove the GPS for mobile use in another vehicle but not look ghetto with the plug hanging out of the cig lighter all the time....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 16th, 2003, 12:00 PM
Mike Hippert
D-90Slut/Stalker,SNLPres
94 D-90 Grinding Rover

My connecter on the GPS is real small and tucks in behind the defroster vent when I am not useing it so you don't know it is there unless you stick your hand up there to grab it. Does your swivel mount bolt to the dash? I have been using velcor to hold mine in place.
Old October 16th, 2003, 12:18 PM
javelinadave
-
-

I have grabbed power fron the rear wiper switch located in the rectangular panel between the vent handles (If you have a soft top the wiring is still there). It is switched, at least 10 amp and think of the last time you used the rear wiper. It is a fused source and it is right where you want to mount your GPS. I would still use an in-line fuse after you tap into it.
Old October 16th, 2003, 02:03 PM
ronward
Redsrover
None - sadly

My mount will attach directly to the dash along the drivers side windscreen and directly above the defrost levers. Probably will go on with screws as I don't know how well Velcro will hold.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Tags
90, d90, gps, mount, soft top