Got a welder - now what - Page 2 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old December 28th, 2011, 02:09 PM
airbornrover
William Skidmore
SIII 109 SW

Might want to look up some vids from the Spike TV website for the auto shows as they always run segments about welding tips/tricks, equipment, etc. Tons of good info.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 28th, 2011, 02:25 PM
oilburner
JL
large pile of parts

All good advice. Buy a can of spatter spray and give your gun a spray after each weld attempt. You will get a lot of spatter until you get it dialed in and the spatter stuff minimizes the sticking, which will make your tips last a bit longer before they are boogered.

The auto darkening helmets are the cat's whiskers, but if you are short on cash I would get a gas upgrade for your welder before a nice helmet.

The little 110V migs will do a lot of stuff on a Land-Rover but you are really working them on anything 1/4 or more. If you are building sliders etc., best thing to do is tack stuff up and take it to someone with a bigger machine. Or, if you like welding, you can pickup a 220V stick machine for 100 bucks or less on Craigslist these days and stick will force you to learn a lot of stuff that will transfer over to MIG.

You will pick up MIG really quick. It is an easy, versatile process.
Diesel-swapped 1994 80 series Land-cruiser
And a difflocked 4wd turbodiesel Lambo
Old December 28th, 2011, 06:45 PM
carlosz
Carlos
frank stein "frankie" in action RIP

Registry
to paraphrase Charles, "Im not an expert" but do tend to hold my own with stick, mig and oxy-acetilene.
my shopping list would be.
1- a helmet preferred an auto darkening, I love the big window so it is what I have.
2- a good pair of leather welding gloves... you will think of my reccomendation the first spark of slag burns you
3- a welding jacket.. those uv rays will make you itch like light sunburt skin.
4- a stiff steel brush.
most important when doing any kind of weld, a clean surface, I use a steel brush, an angle grinder with 40 grit sand paper and a steel brush attachment to my grinder.
depending on the metal thickness you will learn what heat setting is best but when joining a thick metal to a thin piece I start and tend to keep my bead on the thick metal so I can mantain heat and just joint to the thin piece.
the thinner the metal the more you will have to spot weld otherwise it will warp.
as you go along you will develop and learn your own welding method and limitations.
allways tack and inspect your weld and make the corrections needed such as heat, wire speed gas pressure in small increments and reisnpect before laying a bead.
I like my wire speed at 2.5 my heat on c or d and my argon co mix at 75/25 on 20 psi to start.
other than that it is trial and error and lots of practice.
good luck
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 29th, 2011, 08:25 AM
brn24whl
Eric
1994 RRC SWB

Registry
I have had a stick and Mig for nearly 5 years and still can't get anything to stick together well. I really wish we had a local college/trade hobby course close by but we don't so I just keep trying. Good luck with it.

Eric
Direct Line 518-539-2231

If ordering on our online site please choose me as the sales rep. If placing a phone order please call me directly at the numbers above.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old December 29th, 2011, 12:28 PM
bossman429
Adrian
1988 90

Registry
Thanks for all the tips guys.

I just finished building a nice 72"x 39" work table in the garage, which I'm going to cover with 16 or 14 guage steel to use as a welding bench. Next week I'll hunt down a welding supply, get the gas tanks and some supplies. I'll be ordering a helmet tonight probably and be welding in a week or so. I think i've watched every youtube video there is on mig welding... and theres alot!
Old December 29th, 2011, 01:51 PM
Gren_T
Gren Thomas
1985 90 300tdi auto

hi Adrian all good tips, an auto darkening helmet is good but get one that has a good darkening range to min will be 9-13 a fast response to contact is where the cheap ones differ from the pro shields. this is how fast it goes dark when your strike an arc.

practice - dont raid the bins - it's still theft and they prob have CCTV.! go in and ask for the scrap bits tell them why you want it. or buy offcuts from a metal supplier.

practice when its going right the weld will sound like sizzling bacon...Mmmm bacon...

with a landrover a welder will pay for itself in a short time.
if you can get gas and regulator,i use BOC argosheild light size Y - 40KG cylinder and it costs me less that 100/year total.

flux or gas.? USE GAS.!
flux is ok if used in windy or dirty envioments, in a garage gas everytime.

OH and practice... both my father and my son are both metal-stickers & fully coded for the construction, petrol chemical & nuclear industries and they would say practice and volunteer to do small jobs for others ..it's good practice!

Oh and snob burns look cool ;-)
have fun
Gren
Old December 29th, 2011, 02:21 PM
bossman429
Adrian
1988 90

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gren_T View Post
hi Adrian all good tips, an auto darkening helmet is good but get one that has a good darkening range to min will be 9-13 a fast response to contact is where the cheap ones differ from the pro shields. this is how fast it goes dark when your strike an arc.

practice - dont raid the bins - it's still theft and they prob have CCTV.! go in and ask for the scrap bits tell them why you want it. or buy offcuts from a metal supplier.

practice when its going right the weld will sound like sizzling bacon...Mmmm bacon...

with a landrover a welder will pay for itself in a short time.
if you can get gas and regulator,i use BOC argosheild light size Y - 40KG cylinder and it costs me less that 100/year total.

flux or gas.? USE GAS.!
flux is ok if used in windy or dirty envioments, in a garage gas everytime.

OH and practice... both my father and my son are both metal-stickers & fully coded for the construction, petrol chemical & nuclear industries and they would say practice and volunteer to do small jobs for others ..it's good practice!

Oh and snob burns look cool ;-)
have fun
Gren

Haha dont worry, i'm not about to go to jail for some metal scraps, I have a decent pile of scrap I can start working with, will gladly pay a few bucks for some down the road.

Now I want some bacon
Old December 29th, 2011, 03:33 PM
Rugbier
Gustavo
110 Tdi - 110 N/A - D3 HSE - RRS SC

Registry
So I guess I need to return my cheap x-mas present

http://www.harborfreight.com/90-amp-...der-68887.html
Old December 29th, 2011, 03:37 PM
dchapman
Daniel Chapman
1999 D1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rugbier View Post
So I guess I need to return my cheap x-mas present

http://www.harborfreight.com/90-amp-...der-68887.html
Those are like a Mile Marker winch. It will work fine for a little while, but they don't last. Don't expect to be welding 1/4" steal or making bumpers. It's good for hobby stuff, like making those yard tool birds.
Old December 29th, 2011, 03:51 PM
o2batsea
Bill Adams
66 109 sw 94 lwb

Registry
My biggest problem when learning to weld was with managing the hot slag, sparks, and other things that get inside your clothing and make you jump around like you have a bee in your tighty whiteys. You learn pretty quick to avoid it.
A leather apron is a nice thing to have as well as both a winter and summer welding clothes. You need a dedicated set or else you'll have little burns all over everything you weld in. Makes the wife unhappy.
The other thing you need is a grinder to knock down all the built up welding snot you will inevitably generate. A set of wire cutters and pliers to pull melted wire out of the welding gun, a good chipping hammer.
I also find a second angle grinder equipped with a stiff cup wire brush really helps by cleaning the weld area back to bright metal. Electric welding really really needs clean bare steel.

1966 109 5 door wagon 300Tdi "spermaceti fueled"
1994 RRC LeWiB "ruining the air behind me"
1968 2A 88

All my troubles are Rover
Old December 29th, 2011, 04:35 PM
Rugbier
Gustavo
110 Tdi - 110 N/A - D3 HSE - RRS SC

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by dchapman View Post
Those are like a Mile Marker winch. It will work fine for a little while, but they don't last. Don't expect to be welding 1/4" steal or making bumpers. It's good for hobby stuff, like making those yard tool birds.
Anything related to welding for me is hobby stuff as I am so un-qualified to built any bumper.

I got it to practice, as I thought is a cheap investment, runs on 110, and probably my biggest design would be bumperettes

so what do you think, ditch it or keep it to practice?
Old December 29th, 2011, 04:48 PM
don
Don Bunnell
'86 110 3dr ST

Registry
Hey bossman - I just got a Lincoln TIG box myself so will be teaching/learning on my own as well.

My buddy that I bought the Lincoln from is a welder/fabricator and I will be looking to him for tips and instruction. From what he has told me, and from the very little time I have welding all the pointers mentioned are right on. Surface prep is big, good protection and good ventalation, and the settings. Then it seems like you just weld as much as possible.

Once you get further into it and once I have my lincoln wired you should stop by and give the TIG a go. Maybe set it up where my buddy can come by. His skills are real good and he is real laid back and gives great instruction.

For scrap metal, maybe try Red Bank Recycling. I hoard metal from projects at the house like old furniture and what not. But hit up the recylcers I am sure they will have something for cheap. For gas and supplies I will ask my buddy - I need to get some more gear myslef.
Old December 29th, 2011, 08:22 PM
broadstone
Chris
'84 CSW 90 '74 NADA III '97 CSW 110

Registry
I know its hard when first starting out but it is important to focus on the molten puddle and not the arc-flash itself.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat