Good Stuff - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old February 12th, 2007, 04:28 PM
huck1974
shane cates
94 d90

Good Stuff

found a 2.8 Isuzu turbo diesel swap for a fraction of the cost of the 300tdi. Parts readily available for replacement in North America and the performance upgrades are endless. Dual fuel technology is already available for this motor and is a reletively easy swap for our applications. I am colaborating the idea with another rover guy. We will get started on this soon and then send it down the street to my aka"dieseldude" for some kick in the pants. Do you think that a smokestack on the other side to even out the look of the snorkel would be over the top?

If all works well, I could start a side venture and offer this to others for about 65% to 70% of the cost of other swaps with the possibility of using green fuel. Is this crazy or would you guys/gals dig it?

Thanks for your input.
still looking for a better direct price from Isuzu.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 12th, 2007, 07:49 PM
stevewhitaker
Stephen Whitaker
1994 D-90

Registry
Well, yeah, I'd be interested, espeicially if there are minimum electronics involved. Some of the newer diesels have so many sensors on them that they seem to be nearly as vulnerable as the gas engines to electrical failures. Keep us posted.
Old February 12th, 2007, 08:34 PM
huck1974
shane cates
94 d90

virtually no eletronics. will keep you posted
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 13th, 2007, 04:54 AM
Kev Baldwin
Kevin Baldwin
2.4 Tdci 110 Utilty Wagon

2.8 Isuzu is a common swap in the UK. FWIW, they're far better designed and built unit than any LR Tdi. Run forever. You can pick up a 'beater' Trooper with the 2.8 for around $500 in the UK. The cheapest Tdi engine alone will set still you back $1.5/2k over here, hence their popularity. Parts can be expensive though.

M&D offers a 2.8 conversion, as does Conversion & Precision

Mervyn Burgins & Sons have been fitting Isuzu's into LR's for longer than anyone in the UK so know all there is to know about these engines. Although the conversion listed on their site swaps the (self-destructing) Isuzu 3.0 engine for the 2.8 in the Trooper model (Bighorn in the US?), they do offer this conversion for the Defender. They also use the very latest version of the 2.8 engine. Nice guys and know what they're talking about.

Hope this helps.

BTW. Leave off the smokestack idea!

Kev
Old February 13th, 2007, 11:07 AM
Emerson00
Matt J.
None at the moment

I would be interested, too. I understand the older rovers all share most of the same mechanicals... I have a Range Rover (95 CountyLWB) on the way from Utah. I bought it with the intention of converting to diesel (particularly for some formulation of Bio-diesel) in the next year or so.

Reliability is second to fuel economy and going "green", but sure doesn't hurt, especially if it's less expensive while being more reliable. So, anyone know if an engine that swaps into a D90 can swap as easily into a classic RR?
Old February 13th, 2007, 12:30 PM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
Do all your research so that all you are doing is selling expertise and parts, dont be a business venture that sells engine swap kits for vehicles that fall under EPA guidelines. Nothing wrong with selling parts, nothing wrong with installing parts, but the feds get really antsey over specific things, which is why RN doesnt sell Tdi conversion kits any more.
Old February 13th, 2007, 09:12 PM
huck1974
shane cates
94 d90

called rovers north yesterday and they quoted me a price on a tdi kit. No swap is legal in california and probably most everywhere else, but I would also be interested in purchasing some tdi motors. I am not starting a big business as I only do stuff for people on nights and weekends. I just know that I will not pay what the leading east coast conversion company wants for a project I could do myself for far far less. I believe that the tdi is a great setup as that has already been proven from the factory. I just haven't found anyone who want's to provide me with what I need to do one and I am not stuck on staying rover (ford).
Old February 19th, 2007, 06:43 PM
steinhnj
Neil Steinhagen
1990 Perentie GS

Can you clear something up for me? Are parts for the 4JB1 (2.8) and the 4JG2 (3.1) available in the US? Are these the engines used in the Isuzu delivery vehicles? How does the conversion kit work? Does it match the bell housing on my R380 transmission? I'm assuming that it would be wise to switch out the V8 R380 for the diesel R380.

Thanks.

-Neil
Old February 19th, 2007, 06:52 PM
Defender13
Mike Lynch
1994 Defender 90 #1017

Shane,
What does a kit cost now-a-days?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old February 21st, 2007, 12:18 AM
huck1974
shane cates
94 d90

Quote:
Originally Posted by steinhnj
Can you clear something up for me? Are parts for the 4JB1 (2.8) and the 4JG2 (3.1) available in the US? Are these the engines used in the Isuzu delivery vehicles? How does the conversion kit work? Does it match the bell housing on my R380 transmission? I'm assuming that it would be wise to switch out the V8 R380 for the diesel R380.

Thanks.

-Neil
there is a conversion plate for the tranny and a full Isuzu kit available for about half the price of the leading tdi conversion installer in the us. I would install them, but I would like to get at least a grand out of the deal for working nights for a week (after my day job). I have resources for great turbo upgrades on that diesel here locally to make it much better than the europe factory offering. I really don't need the money, I just dig cars. I will do mine and at least pas the info along if you want.
(ps. I have access to a kickass waterjet.) any motor can fit about anything if you want

Follow-up Post:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Defender13
Shane,
What does a kit cost now-a-days?
told me 13gs and change for a kit without the tranny. approx 2gs more for the whole deal. The price is because we are infatuated with a diesel that says rover that comes off the international assembly line to replace our buick v8s. I am putting the best shit available in my car.
Old February 21st, 2007, 08:08 AM
Gore Ranger
Jeff
1989 RRC

would that kit that is half the price of 13K be w/ a crate isuzu motor, or would it be a used motor?

I think that Rovers North price is for all new shit
Old February 25th, 2007, 11:57 AM
Gore Ranger
Jeff
1989 RRC

ok, I've read up on these motors over the weekend. It seems that they have already been put into Land Cruisers and at least one Defender 90 here in the Pacific NW!

Check out this link...

http://www.4btswaps.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=11
Old February 28th, 2007, 12:11 PM
gtg067i
Christian Shea
1997 Defender 90 Wagon

So are we talking about swapping in the 4bt isuzu/cummins engine or the later 3.1 TD (4JG2) that came out of the isuzu bighorn overseas? It seems both are great engines and about the same price though after doing some reading looks like a 4bt is much easier to come by in the US. What sort of tuning/power ratings are you looking at with the tweaks you spoke of?
Old February 28th, 2007, 12:52 PM
Cirbo
Jim C.
None

A couple folks over this side of the country were doing these swaps. Engines and adaptors were sourced from the UK. I think the kits were around 5k each. Parts were supposed to be available from Isuzu commercial truck suppliers, but the engines weren't that common over here.

Actually an uncomplete 110 project is up for sale on LRX with one of these kits installed.

jC
Old March 4th, 2007, 06:56 PM
huck1974
shane cates
94 d90

the 3.1 is not a good motor. I'm trying the 2.8. The full deal goes for about 8grand. The install looks pretty straight forward, but I have a shop with a lift and other cool stuff. Contrary to the posts I've read, the rover hasn't been any more difficult to work on than your average chevy IMO. Sorry its been a while. I've been skiing Wolf Creek.

Once I see the conversion plate, I will make my own as well as anything else I need. I can't give any surefire tourque figures because I haven't done the swap and modded it yet. When I'm done, I will have to travel 3 hours to get a dyno that works. I will not go balls out, but a conservative setup that will blow away my stock motor. Could be summer before I'm done.......hmmmm.....finish the jeep, finish the 69 camaro.....fix that leak on the chopper...install blower on the c6....try to make the house payment...etc
Old April 19th, 2007, 11:34 AM
Rod Hayward
Rod Hayward
95 D90 Green #2288

Hey, Shane!

How about an update on the "zoo-zoo" project?

Old June 5th, 2007, 10:22 PM
steinhnj
Neil Steinhagen
1990 Perentie GS

Shane,

Any updates? Or did you decide to go Big American? Still many questions. I agree, the 2.8L 4JB1T looks to be the best. M&D Engineering offers the conversion plate, but it appears that it is for the NA 2.8L, not the turbo. It also appears that the gas R380 may be able to handle the motor. One gent on 4x4Wire said that 4BD1T (3.9L) has too much torque for the R380 or ZF trannies. The 4JB1T is also a one-wire engine-no ECU, but they are hard to find. Did you find a source?

-Neil
Old June 6th, 2007, 06:22 PM
huck1974
shane cates
94 d90

sorry, after I found out that I'm going to be a daddy, my progress is a little slow. I have a 5.3 with all electronics sitting in my shop. Will do it this summer. I probably will do an Isuzu deisel down the road. I think the non distributer chevy can be adequately waterproofed with a little effort. Right now, I can't find anyone to make me a decent driveshaft. I have serious vibration problems. any suggestions?
Old June 6th, 2007, 07:50 PM
steinhnj
Neil Steinhagen
1990 Perentie GS

Fwd or rear. I've been told that a D2 front drive shaft with the carden joint is a bolt-on. This will take care of a no-load growl that is sometimes associated with a 2" lift. What size lift do you have? I saw a driveshaft shop just about 10 minutes from my apartment in VA. I have a 2" OME lift and could use my driveline as a template for you. Let me know.

I've been searching for the 4JB1T. JDM has several Isuzu's on sale on eBay, but not the 4JB1T. They told me that they are trying to get more into the diesel buisness. Parts are my next problem. After the headache of trying to source the engine and parts it may be just as expensive as finding a 300 TDI. I saw an older 110 at the URE Safari that had an Isuzu in it. I asked him where he gets parts and he said that he hasn't had to so far. I need to know where I can get parts and what the availability is before I commit to something like this. The Isuzu is supposedly a more quiet engine. Maybe I'm just waiting for someone on the board to bring me to my senses.

I might go drive a 2.8L Jeep Diesel this weekend and take some photos of the transmission, front diff, etc. Jeep Diesel has an ECU, but it's legal (emissions) and parts are easy.
Old June 6th, 2007, 10:25 PM
huck1974
shane cates
94 d90

3" rovertym

vibration everywhere

longer true rear, but still sucks. I'm not even driving it until I get it situated. Its unfortunate that I live in hillbilly hell where a drive line shop looks at you like you are out of your mind when you bring in something that is not ford. A lot of guys here have summer teeth. some are here and some are there. Some gals here can eat corn through a chain link fence. Sometimes I go to the neighbors to catch some sun on the sofa.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat