Good Bye Ford, Hello Tata... It's done. - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old March 26th, 2008, 01:34 PM
JFD
Julien Dalbin
05 Tdi 90

Exclamation Good Bye Ford, Hello Tata... It's done.

Today, Jaguar & LR, 2.3 billion US.

I like that, UK automotive owned by Indians, money also have to move south sometimes .
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 26th, 2008, 05:17 PM
GeoParth
George Parthmer
1995/d-90 #2715 yellowST

i also heard this news on NPR today. Any chance that it may lead to the re-introduction of the Defender to the American market? It would be a tremendous opprotunity for the company to recoup at least a bit of its capital expenditure by marketing to a rather captive market. Then again, with petrol prices on the rise i suppose an SUV might not be as appealing to the masses as one might first think.
Old March 26th, 2008, 06:29 PM
flippedrover
Tyler
'94 D-90

Not unless they are willing to totally rework it to meet crash and emissions.
and you're the only bait in town.
You got fins to the left, fins to the right,
and you're the only girl in town.

Jimmy Buffett

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 26th, 2008, 06:50 PM
Wolf Fabrication
Sterling Archer
'08 D3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by flippedrover
Not unless they are willing to totally rework it to meet crash and emissions.
Jeep did it with the TJ in '96. After the brand started dying with the YJ Wrangler (square headlights), they redesigned it, made it safer and added all the safety features to include airbags. Now the TJ is even more popular than ever. And hey, they just added the 4-door TJ, so maybe there is hope for the 110! Land Rover and the Defender must evolve to survive, I am surprised Ford didn't help it evolve in the US market - maybe they felt they couldn't match Jeep. But that's another point, look at the introduction of the new FJ Cruiser after years of absence.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Semper Fi!
Old March 26th, 2008, 08:23 PM
Ragland
Robert Ragland
1994 Defender 90

The FJ reminds me a lot of the re-released Thunderbird and VW Beetle: ultimately it is a design exercise wrapped around a so-so platform. The design will fade and then the product planners must think of something new. The T-bird was low volume, so it was killed. The Beetle will hang on, but at some point must face a real overhaul.

The Mini, however, was done right. It is retro, but over a good platform that people really like. Sure the design was catchy, but the fundamentals keep it going. The FJ just isn't that special once you get past the sheetmetal (or should I say plastic). And with what, 5 suvs, its not like Toyota needed another. They should have reached farther and made it an icon.
Old March 26th, 2008, 09:09 PM
Wolf Fabrication
Sterling Archer
'08 D3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
I agree on the FJ. I thought it was cool at first, then I found out what a big turd it was.

Semper Fi!
Old March 26th, 2008, 09:30 PM
shawnpalmer
Shawn Palmer
1997 SW-Arles Blue

Registry
I don't want to get into a pissing contest, but I have an FJ and I don't think it is a big turd. It is a great daily driver that has good out of the box 4wd abilities. It is not for everyone, but I like it. The platform is from the Prado/4 Runner. I think it is a proven platform.

Here it is from Wikipedia:

The Toyota FJ Cruiser (FJC) is a retro-style compact SUV produced by Toyota introduced as a concept at the 2003 Chicago Auto Show and in production form at the following North American International Auto Show. It went on sale in early 2006 as a 2007 model and features styling reminiscent of the original Toyota FJ40 Land Cruisers from the 1960s (particularly the front fascia and wrap around rear windows), and is based on the Land Cruiser Prado platform, which is also used by the 4Runner. The FJ cruiser was not originally intended for production but due to enormous consumer response about the car following the North American International Auto Show, production eventually began in early 2006. All FJ Cruisers are built by Hino Motors in Hamura, Japan.

Regardless of my opinion, I think that this will be good for Land Rover. I don't think Ford helped the brand one bit and I'd like to see a change. In fact, they just got done removing all of the "outdoorsy" type decor from my local dealership. Obviously realizing that the new products they are selling don't really fit in with that lifestyle. What is even funnier to me is that they asked me if they could borrow my 2 D90's to put in their showroom for the big Grand Re-opening. So, my trucks are there now in the showroom.

97 D90 SW
Old March 26th, 2008, 10:16 PM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
'94 D90 ST, '63 SeriesIIA
Site Team

Registry
Hey it's not all bad. Now my favorite food and car are both indian!
Old March 27th, 2008, 12:04 AM
Ragland
Robert Ragland
1994 Defender 90

Interesting you mention the dealer layout, Shawn. Recall the prototype design called for a lodge theme, replete with the rock-hill demonstrator. They really should get rid of that kiddie ride and replace it with something more appropriate, like a valet station.

I imagine there will be some unreal incentives on Jags until some sense of brand confidence is restored. Resale levels were already low, and I can't imagine consumer perception will smile on this deal. If it is true Tata is looking to quickly spin-off Jag, the marque's future doesn't seem too bright.
Old March 27th, 2008, 08:53 AM
flippedrover
Tyler
'94 D-90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeep Rescue
Jeep did it with the TJ in '96. After the brand started dying with the YJ Wrangler (square headlights), they redesigned it, made it safer and added all the safety features to include airbags. Now the TJ is even more popular than ever. And hey, they just added the 4-door TJ, so maybe there is hope for the 110! Land Rover and the Defender must evolve to survive, I am surprised Ford didn't help it evolve in the US market - maybe they felt they couldn't match Jeep. But that's another point, look at the introduction of the new FJ Cruiser after years of absence.
True. But Jeep has always been in the US and has always sold well. The 90 was a niche truck that lets face it only a few in the US want. Plus LRNA is going for the very profitable upscale market. Sadly I might add for those of us that love the utilitarian trucks. Maybe I'm wrong and LR will bring back the Defender but I seriously doubt it.
and you're the only bait in town.
You got fins to the left, fins to the right,
and you're the only girl in town.

Jimmy Buffett

Old March 27th, 2008, 10:08 AM
Overlander
mark kellgren
in between D's in an 04 D2

Registry
I'm optimistic that LR is finally owned by an automaker that is based in a country that isn't totally paved, and quickly on the economic rise with a broad wealthy class with disposable income, british roots, and understands the need for reliability due to a lack of national infrastructure. The future of LR really comes down to the mindset of the corporate HQ.

I would doubt there is even a moderate off road trail anywhere near detroit. All they can think of is soccer mom's, which was a cancer to the LR marque.
Old March 27th, 2008, 10:44 AM
Wolf Fabrication
Sterling Archer
'08 D3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
I agree on the FJ. I thought it was cool at first, then I found out what a big turd it was.
I figured that statement would piss off some FJ owner on this board! Sorry....

Semper Fi!
Old March 27th, 2008, 11:12 AM
shawnpalmer
Shawn Palmer
1997 SW-Arles Blue

Registry
No worries! The FJ gets trashed a lot, and so do H2's and H3's and Jeeps. I just wanted to chime in.

97 D90 SW
Old March 27th, 2008, 11:36 AM
Tawayama
Michael Slade
No Land Rovers

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoParth
i also heard this news on NPR today. Any chance that it may lead to the re-introduction of the Defender to the American market?
Yes, I'm sure they will be here in about a week.

I'll be surprized if LR survives this buy-out also.
Old March 27th, 2008, 11:37 AM
Ragland
Robert Ragland
1994 Defender 90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overlander
I would doubt there is even a moderate off road trail anywhere near detroit. All they can think of is soccer mom's, which was a cancer to the LR marque.

You know it is often said the cars a nation produces are a direct reflection of their roads. While European manufacturers produced cars that could handle twisty roads in mountains, Detroit made vehicles for long straightaways and flat, open terrain with bad roads - large cushy mobiles.

Here's to hoping Tata will produce a need-based Defender for undeveloped Asia as the British once did for ag, the MoD, and the colonies.
Old March 27th, 2008, 11:53 AM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

A "work spec" defender like the Chevy WT, Ford XL etc. would sell at a price point if it came with a diesel motor. Look at the success of the sprinter van. Way more money than the competition (ford chevy) but better mpg.

If my lotus can pass crash tests, a defender can as well.
Old March 27th, 2008, 11:29 PM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuddyOval
No worries! The FJ gets trashed a lot, and so do H2's and H3's and Jeeps. I just wanted to chime in.
I test drove the FJ and liked it. I thought it was good for what it was and the quality was nice. The one thing that was appaling was how bad the visibility was. I mean, it was damn near undrivable. I have no idea how anyone could wheel it. I could have ran over Oprah and not even seen her.

BUCK Wild Racing
Driver: Me
Co-driver: Pat Quirk
Team 911

Rover Tracks
PSC
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline
Made it further than half of the other guys, but the Hammers won.
Old March 28th, 2008, 06:09 AM
Wolf Fabrication
Sterling Archer
'08 D3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckon37s
I could have ran over Oprah and not even seen her.

Wow, that bad, huh?

Semper Fi!
Old March 28th, 2008, 08:16 AM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

Quote:
Wow, that bad, huh?
Fat Oprah!

BUCK Wild Racing
Driver: Me
Co-driver: Pat Quirk
Team 911

Rover Tracks
PSC
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline
Made it further than half of the other guys, but the Hammers won.
Old March 28th, 2008, 09:45 AM
RichardMoore
Richard Moore
2002 TD5 D-90 Hardtop

My guess - Defender production will move to somewhere cheaper[India/Turkey ??] and won't be sold in Europe or US

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Tags
tata