Golf Balls - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old December 8th, 2007, 04:43 PM
Abrooks
Tony Brooks

Golf Balls

OK, need some advice here, bear with the background story. My parents retired to a golf course community years ago; why, I don't know as they neither play golf nor have any desire to learn. However, their house is on a dogleg and is innundated with golf balls. Over the years they've collected literally thousands of abandoned golf balls. Now, for some reason they decided that they'd be nice and brought up some of these golf balls to me the last time they visited. Which I suppose would've been nice if I'd ever actually played the game. I'm vaguely concerned that senility might have finally struck . . .

So, now I'm stuck with 346 golf balls. Is there a market for used golf balls? A colleauge who golfs has taken 3 dozen titelists for a couple of beers at happy hour, but it seems as though the wealth could be spread a bit. Will some sort of charity for destitute golfers take them? Can I make some sort of golf ball cannon? Should I keep them in the truck to torment tailgaters? It seems a shame to throw them out, but the wife has said that they must go. What would Tiger do?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 8th, 2007, 04:58 PM
Stmpede
Andrew Najarian
'93 NAS D110 #43

I'd take a bunch, but shipping might cost as much as just buying some esp. since I'm not good enough to actually notice a difference between balls so I just buy cheap ones anyway.

I am sure if you just took the box over to the local golf course and left them with a sign they would disappear in short order. I know if that happened at my golf course I would take a couple handfuls.
Old December 8th, 2007, 05:02 PM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
'94 D90 ST, '63 SeriesIIA
Site Team

Registry
If they are an expensive ball when new, and are still in good condition, they do have value. But not sure they have enough value to make it worth your time to deal with it. A friend lives on the course here and he and his son collects balls they find while playing as well as land in the yard. Occasionally they will sort them into categories and then the kid sells them at the golf course to people. I think ones in good condition will easily sell for a buck a ball.

charles
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 8th, 2007, 05:28 PM
Abrooks
Tony Brooks

I think you're right Charles, any value would be too little to do anything with them. Anybody want them? Free though you'll have to pay for shipping and make a donation to your local food bank.
Old December 8th, 2007, 05:32 PM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
Site Team

Registry
Let me ask my friend if his kid would want them (to try sell, or just donate to the golf course as range balls). Will gladly make a donation to the food bank, and buy you beers at happy hour to boot. But let me make sure he'd actually want them.

charles
Old December 8th, 2007, 07:09 PM
woldd90
Scott
1997 D90 ST #1444
Site Team

Double check to see if you have any PING multi-colored balls... White/blue (1/2 & 1/2). These are worth real money.

Old December 8th, 2007, 08:06 PM
Wolf Fabrication
Sterling Archer
'08 D3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
When I was a kid I used to sell used golf balls right outside the entrance to the local country club. Made a KILLING in $$. Until the club called the police and shut me down because I didn't have a sales license. Turns out I was cutting into their used golf ball profit!! Never heard about the police being called for selling lemonade though....

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Semper Fi!
Old December 11th, 2007, 09:12 AM
paulb
Paul / Boultbee
1994 D-90, Green #1576

God, I am glad to see that the senility thing occurs with those parents! My parent bring odd thing up all the time.

Used Golf balls big business - We used to do the same thing in Jersey when we lived on a course. Balls kept hiting the house, and then we went looking in the woods, etc. We had over 1000 balls at one time. Gave them away like candy. Then we started to sell them in the back yard. Cart path was at the property end so we put up a sign asking for donations to the kids golf lesson fund. 5 balls for $1.00. We got rid of several hundred. It can be a pain though - different balls have VERY different values and golfers were picky, asking questions. Strange though. One guy put in a $20 and took 5 balls calling it a donation. Another guy (I actually saw him do this) gabbed a couple of hand fulls and just kept going. The 12 and 13th holes doubled back so I ran across and gave him shit about it. Said he never saw the sign. Easy to miss being painted in pink & black held up by the ball bucket. Weiner!
Oh yeah. What to do with the balls. My recommendations - donate them to a school golf team. They usually have a high need.

Did not do it for the money, 4 bins and we

Have your parents keep the balls
Old December 11th, 2007, 09:30 AM
Abrooks
Tony Brooks

Charles, any word from the junior entrepreneur?

Paul, good story! Apparently some neighbors of my folks' tried to set up a stand last year next to the path and were shut down quickly by the civic association jack booted thug police (who will literally give a ticket for 3 miles over the limit). Apparently golf course living isn't all it's cracked up to be . . .
Old December 11th, 2007, 11:19 AM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
Site Team

Registry
Sorry I didn't respond. Yes he'd like to take them. If no-one objects, please bring them to the HH.

charles
p.s. My better half is in - although of course asked if we would talk about anything else other than Rovers. I assured her yes <gulp>
Old December 11th, 2007, 11:43 AM
Abrooks
Tony Brooks

We can talk about golf balls . . .

I'll bring them. Thanks.
Old December 11th, 2007, 12:13 PM
Ren Ching
Skinny Pete
'84 90 "Yamelo"/'88 RRC "Chewbacca"

Registry
Yah, because they love to talk about balls. I went to a hanukah dinner with some LR friends and there was a gift exchange, one of the gifts was a party snapper with a toy inside. the toy was a little buddha that shot a ball out of his stomach. for all the crap that I get for taking conversations to new lows, two of the women at that table did nothing but make ball jokes for the better part of the evening.

So, yeah. Bring yer balls...
Old January 31st, 2008, 09:32 PM
Abrooks
Tony Brooks

Charles, I'm bringing your balls tomorrow.
Old January 31st, 2008, 09:53 PM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
Site Team

Registry
LOL, I completely forgot about them! Yes, I need my balls, thanks.

charles

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat