Going to the UK and brining back a 90, to the USA. - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old September 4th, 2012, 11:41 PM
loudog3114
James Wylie
None

Going to the UK and brining back a 90, to the USA.

So I have wanted a 90 since I was a kid, and now its doable, so im going for it. I am planning on purchasing a 25+ year old defender 90, with the original diesel. It needs to be original to be allowed in by the EPA and DOT, as anything under 25 years old will be subject to their rules.

My idea is to book a flight, get there, rent a car, and check out a selection of 90's from the classifieds. I am going to be purchasing one for around $4500. From what I understand, if the 90 has a current MOT and tax disc, all I need to do is get some temporary insurance and I am good to go with my American drivers license, correct?

Then, once my trip winds to an end, I am going to drop it off at the port. I have gotten a quote from a shipper of around $3000 for shipping and dealing with customs, plus another $300ish in duty fees. I have heard something about there being bonds required, but I believe the customs broker deals with that, not me... any input would be welcome here.

From there, as far as I understand, I can just bring the english paperwork to my local MA RMV and get it registered.

Once all is said and done, I will have spent about $10,000 US for an amazing trip and a defender 90 that is then worth about twice what I paid for it because it is on US soil.

Any input would be more than welcome while going through this, as this is really an experiment for me, as I have no experience what so ever going through this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 5th, 2012, 04:25 AM
cwilder
Chad
2012 110 Black

Registry
I don't know much about importing Defenders but sounds like it would be fun. Welcome to the board.
1997 D-90 #1867 (sold) :(
2012 Black 110 :) In OZ still
2011 LR4 "Metropolis" (sold) :(
2011 Raptor F150 SVT (sold) :(
2007 Shelby GT500 (sold)
2007 LR3 (sold)
2006 RRS (sold)
Old September 5th, 2012, 08:02 AM
rijosho
Joshua
1995 Black ST - Rhinolined edition
Research Assistant/Eagle Eyes

Registry
Who's your registered importer? Lots of threads dedicated to this on her if you browse around the search.

Also call Doug Crowther - Dividing Creek Imports - for a quote.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 5th, 2012, 08:16 AM
Jonesy
Craig
87 D110 (Ruby)

Registry
In addition the Poms have woken up to the fact that you Yanks are paying exorbitant prices for their rusty shitpiles...so of course there are:

(a) a number of exporters with reputable challenges
(b) a number of exporters with great reputations
(c) prices for anything 1987 and less in good condition are high
(d) better finds at the 1988 and above level - but you have to store it in the UK for 6 mos to a year

So - you sound new to the whole equation - I WOULD DEFINITELY CALL DOUG CROWTHER - just go to the UK enjoy yourself, drink lots of beer - look at all the pretty girls (tourists) and have a fun time.

Just my 2c
Old September 5th, 2012, 10:28 AM
sonoronos
Ed
None

Registry
I think Dave (ren ching) and Doug (130 tdi) did a defender scouting trip in the UK years back. Maybe you can solicit their opinions.

If you really want to make money, come back with a pile of Puma bonnets, 110 middle doors, genuine SVX grill/light combos and Blindo wheels.
Old September 5th, 2012, 10:38 AM
leastonce
Jason England
D-90 White 95 SW #65
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by loudog3114 View Post
So I have wanted a 90 since I was a kid, and now its doable, so im going for it. I am planning on purchasing a 25+ year old defender 90, with the original diesel. It needs to be original to be allowed in by the EPA and DOT, as anything under 25 years old will be subject to their rules.

My idea is to book a flight, get there, rent a car, and check out a selection of 90's from the classifieds. I am going to be purchasing one for around $4500. From what I understand, if the 90 has a current MOT and tax disc, all I need to do is get some temporary insurance and I am good to go with my American drivers license, correct?

Then, once my trip winds to an end, I am going to drop it off at the port. I have gotten a quote from a shipper of around $3000 for shipping and dealing with customs, plus another $300ish in duty fees. I have heard something about there being bonds required, but I believe the customs broker deals with that, not me... any input would be welcome here.

From there, as far as I understand, I can just bring the english paperwork to my local MA RMV and get it registered.

Once all is said and done, I will have spent about $10,000 US for an amazing trip and a defender 90 that is then worth about twice what I paid for it because it is on US soil.

Any input would be more than welcome while going through this, as this is really an experiment for me, as I have no experience what so ever going through this.
Have you ever been to the UK before?
Cat Camping Collective founding member and Chief Executive Officer
Old September 5th, 2012, 11:10 AM
broadstone
Chris
'84 CSW 90 '74 NADA III '97 CSW 110

Registry
Smart move going out there and knowing what you are getting into, I have always said it is cheaper to buy the plane ticket most times than fix junk. You may run into an issue getting insurance on the vehicle. Using a rental car is one thing but your own vehicle with no address in the U.K. could pose a problem. I had to search for a long time to find what I needed but I also have an address out there with family.

You can do all aspects of the import yourself from both ends. You do not need a bond and it is up to you but you do not need an importer or a broker.
Old September 5th, 2012, 11:41 AM
Gren_T
Gren Thomas
1985 90 300tdi auto

Hi James,
good plan though no doubt someone here will punch holes in it .. no bad thing though.
I've thought of doing the same thing in reverse to get myself a willys.

I would sugest you make a list of the company's selling what you are looking for and do a tour looking at their stock then you will have a handle on what you are looking for in the classifieds, if you can time your visit with the sodbury sale or one of the big landy shows then there are always vehicles for sale in the car parks.

some links for you:

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/
http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/lis...dist=&nodays=0

regards

Gren
Old September 5th, 2012, 11:54 AM
loudog3114
James Wylie
None

Thanks for all the info so far, very helpful. I have emailed Doug from his website, but have not heard back yet. I will definitely be getting in touch with him at some point before booking my ticket over there.

I am really amazed at what these things go for over seas compared to here in the US. The great thing is, I already feel as though I am getting such a discounted price that I see no need to buy an 88, I am fine paying around 4-4500 for one, having a great trip driving around in it, and shipping it back. I contacted a car dealer there that said they can offer 7 day insurance, so I think I have the legality of driving the 90 over there covered.

The shipper/importer I have been in contact with is LOA-INC in CA. That is the only one I have requested a rough quote from, and I think I can probably do better. Hopefully Doug can point me to somebody he knows and trusts.

I have been browsing autotrader UK for days and am getting more excited by the minute... its going to be a long 6 months.
Old September 5th, 2012, 12:42 PM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
IMO, spend more on the vehicle and get a better one. The vehicle worth should be a higher percentage of the overall cost. You won;t be happy with a $4500 vehicle....

Also buying a good unit in the UK is not simple. 95% of them are rotted out pieces of crap and most of the guys selling them are crooks...

Land Rover. Turning owners into mechanics since 1948.
Old September 5th, 2012, 12:52 PM
leastonce
Jason England
D-90 White 95 SW #65
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red90 View Post
IMO, spend more on the vehicle and get a better one. The vehicle worth should be a higher percentage of the overall cost. You won;t be happy with a $4500 vehicle....

Also buying a good unit in the UK is not simple. 95% of them are rotted out pieces of crap and most of the guys selling them are crooks...
nice generalization ...
Cat Camping Collective founding member and Chief Executive Officer
Old September 5th, 2012, 12:56 PM
loudog3114
James Wylie
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red90 View Post

While I agree I could spend more, this is going to be not my 2nd, not my 3rd, but the 4th vehicle I currently own. So I don't, by any means, need a DD... I rely on the 335 for that. I am just looking for a reliable runner for the girlfriend to drive on wheeling trips and to cruise around town in. Ideally I could use it as a tow rig for my wrangler on longer trips to go wheeling.
Old September 5th, 2012, 01:05 PM
texrover
Jason
71 SIIA, 03 RR, 94 D90 (PO), 83 110

Registry
$4500 vehicle
$2500 shipping
$2500 importation (if all goes well)
=$9,000 vehicle all-in (less the parts you should buy while you are there, but then you aren't paying RORO but container)

profiting twice the base vehicle price would require some parts and labor (so you're no longer profiting 2x)

So take the advice and spend 2x on the base vehicle.

And remember if you bring back parts it has to be in a container a) with the vehicle or b) shipped separate, not RORO
1994 D90 ST (PO)
Old September 5th, 2012, 01:06 PM
Ren Ching
Skinny Pete
'84 90 "Yamelo"/'88 RRC "Chewbacca"

Registry
1. Don't do this expecting to make ANY money. You might, but if you are counting on it, do something else to make the money and then come back and start over.

2. Don't forget to factor in UK fuel costs

3. Don't forget to factor in UK speed limits and the fact that it takes freaking forever to get anywhere. Do not expect that you will be able to go see a whole bunch of vehicles all over the country in a relatively short period of time.

4. Stay out of the Polish bars

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonoronos View Post
I think Dave (ren ching) and Doug (130 tdi) did a defender scouting trip in the UK years back. Maybe you can solicit their opinions.

If you really want to make money, come back with a pile of Puma bonnets, 110 middle doors, genuine SVX grill/light combos and Blindo wheels.
Old September 5th, 2012, 01:11 PM
Abrooks
Tony Brooks

Quote:
Originally Posted by leastonce View Post
nice generalization ...
I'd also respectfully disagree. Having now imported my second one in the past year and in both instances feeling as though I knew exactly what I was getting, I can tell you that it's all about asking questions.

I can't tell you how many trucks I looked at that were enticing but for which the owner wouldn't provide good/sufficient photos or details. Both of the trucks wound up being below my budget and required more attention than I ideally would have liked, but in both cases I got a huge number of pictures, videos, history, etc. from the owners. And in both cases I had budget left over to fix the items that needed attention. There were no surprises (save one stripped brake bleeder screw) and that has been worth the $ and time to fix the items that were disclosed.

You have to have realistic expectations (these are 25 year old trucks that aren't held in the same regard as we hold them), and you can't fall in love with a truck (just as you shouldn't buying one domestically), but if you ask questions, know when to walk away and have some patience, you should be fine.
Old September 5th, 2012, 01:16 PM
giftshopduane
Chris luciano
72 Series 3 88"

Ship it back in a container, pick up some spares to help cover the costs. I'd throw in some money to ship a few "cheap" series parts from the UK, that are to big for post..
Old September 5th, 2012, 01:18 PM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

Whatever you do, I would use Doug C.
Old September 5th, 2012, 01:22 PM
loudog3114
James Wylie
None

Frankly, if I break even, the trip will have been worth it. Right now I am looking at this as a really cool experience that will yield a very rare, very cool, fixer-upper, toy.
Old September 5th, 2012, 01:23 PM
Mybluett
Defenders Northwest
110SW
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilfij View Post
Whatever you do, I would use Doug C.
Couldn't agree more.
Old September 5th, 2012, 01:23 PM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by texrover View Post
$4500 vehicle
$2500 shipping
$2500 importation (if all goes well)
=$9,000 vehicle all-in (less the parts you should buy while you are there, but then you aren't paying RORO but container)

profiting twice the base vehicle price would require some parts and labor (so you're no longer profiting 2x)

So take the advice and spend 2x on the base vehicle.

And remember if you bring back parts it has to be in a container a) with the vehicle or b) shipped separate, not RORO
You are not including the cost of the trip... Visiting the UK is not cheap.

Land Rover. Turning owners into mechanics since 1948.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Tags
90, ac