Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old February 23rd, 2015, 09:15 PM
RBBailey
RBBailey
1965 IIa

Registry
Going to sell, but for how much?

I honestly don't know what to sell this stuff for. It will be a couple of weeks before I'm actually ready to sell.

Help me set a fair price so I can post them for reasonable offers.
  1. 1988 3.5 V8, with Mallory dist and coil, virtually new leads, very clean with very little oil leaking, old style valve covers, upgraded cam (can get brand later). Starts and runs well, but has a rhythmic surge in power (or loss of power, I can't make up my mind which) when at certain med-high RPM's. Using KN filters on SU carbs, but have original as well.
  2. LT85 Spanish box. Shifts fine, no noise, probably needs some clutch work since no matter how far in I put the clutch, it always engages almost instantly unless I let it out very slowly. Seems off, but not operating badly.
  3. LT230 that shifts in and out well and does not make any odd noises. The standard Rover clunk in the drive train is pretty minimal.
I'll pull them when I get a chance, and get them all cleaned up and on a palette. I would really only want to sell local, unless they sit for too long, then I would be willing to ship. I'd like to keep it as a set, but may be interested in splitting it up if it does not sell in a few weeks after posting.

Photos will be here. Let me know if the video does not work: https://drive.google.com/folderview?...1U&usp=sharing
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 24th, 2015, 12:12 AM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

The only thing worth a good bit of money is the 1.4 lt230 IMHO. $400 for that. The rest is wait until someone needs it. Pull the valve covers off the V8 and scrap the rest. ;-)
Old February 24th, 2015, 11:06 AM
RBBailey
RBBailey
1965 IIa

Registry
I tend to agree on the engine. I'm hoping that the vast amount of British car owners we have in this area might mean someone with a Series truck or an MGB or the like might want it. However, personally, I really like the Lt85. I love the feel of the shift, and the spacing between the positions on the stick is just like the Series. It is said to be stronk, like bull.

Thanks for the feedback.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 21st, 2015, 11:13 PM
RBBailey
RBBailey
1965 IIa

Registry
Right, so I am trying to sell these bits now. Want to set fair price. I think $400 for each -- Lt85 and Lt230 is OK, but I'm seeing very little to go on, and wild flux in the price range.

Trying to get these out the door tomorrow, don't want to have to bring them to the ABFM, but want fair price for buyer and seller. Help?

The SN on the LT230 is a 25-D
The box is a split case

1965 IIa SWB
1988 Saudi 110 (soon to be 300tdi)

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat