going to colorado - Page 2 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old January 25th, 2004, 04:05 PM
mpodgorski
martin
'94 D90 ST Arles

i am glad you said it troy, i was unsure as to what to say. I didnt want to leave anyone out but i am a skier all the way.
I can do the 4th and 5th, where. And mike I can go again over the weekend.

we'll all work something out
martin
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 25th, 2004, 05:04 PM
tbmcneill

martin-
i'd prefer a-basin, breck, keystone, vail, or BC because that's where my season pass works. its just tough to swallow dropping $70 for a day of skiing when you've already bought a season pass.

we can nail it down as it gets closer (sometimes work has a way of doing some last minute dictating, too). my wife just informed me she's coming with me one of those days, as well .... which means we should probably just shoot for one day or the other because whichever day she goes, I'll have to pull baby duty for part of the day. of course, she's not afraid of a little double-black action, either.
T
Old January 25th, 2004, 05:41 PM
mpodgorski
martin
'94 D90 ST Arles

troy
i got your number, i will give you a call on the 3rd. I am bringing my girlfriend along, she is also from vermont. Your wife and her can keep one and other company

martin
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 25th, 2004, 06:19 PM
TwisteD90
Yousef Hamzeh
06 RR SC, 06 LR3, 94 D90

Ahhh sounds like fun. Unfortunately I won't be able to ski this year b/c of my knee
Old January 25th, 2004, 07:34 PM
Seanh
Sean Hanagan
94 D90 ST #910 Matilda

Martin,
I'm down for some turns either mid week or weekend. Summit/Eagle counties are preferred b/c of my season pass. I do have Copper as well. As far as who I'll will ski with I ain't got no problem with Knuckle draggers or folks with training heels so invite them all:D

Joke: How are vacuum cleaners and snowboards alike? You attach a dirtbag to both!
Old January 25th, 2004, 07:59 PM
mhansen
Mike Hansen
97 D-90 SW #2243

Sean-

You can't forget the most important thing that they have in common........they both SUCK.
Old January 25th, 2004, 09:19 PM
Seanh
Sean Hanagan
94 D90 ST #910 Matilda

Mike,
I have nothing but love for all who slide on snow, with one exception. Those people who wear those stupid hats and snowblades.
Old January 25th, 2004, 09:37 PM
tbmcneill

martin-
sounds good. i have that phone with me almost all the time. ...& that sounds good about your girlfriend. My wife is definately going to ski part of one of those days, so either way I'll need to hang at the lodge with a baby bottle until 'mommy' gets done 'banging some bumps'.
T
ps- since we're kinda on the subject....if anyone is looking for a good used pair of Salomon X-Scream boots, PM me. my new ones just came in & I'm going to unload these.
Old January 25th, 2004, 10:01 PM
mpodgorski
martin
'94 D90 ST Arles

tory -
no worries with having to be mister mom, a thought came to me, with yousef having a bum knee maybe we can hire him to baby sit for the day . I am just kidding yousef. I still will give you a call so we can meet up.

So i have read all the posts and figure that keystone and copper are where most of us can meet. I would like to see Jp, he says vail and mike you mentioned going there, how far are you from there.

Also we should all meet off the slopes, if that gives us the ability of meeting one and other

martin
Old January 26th, 2004, 09:55 AM
mhansen
Mike Hansen
97 D-90 SW #2243

Vail is about 2:30 hrs by Disco II and 3:00 by D-90

Vail works but Kiestone / Breckenridge are closser

BTW Vail/B-creek got 5 inches last night Key/Breck got 3
Old January 26th, 2004, 10:30 AM
mhansen
Mike Hansen
97 D-90 SW #2243

Sean-

I used to think the same as you. When I lived in Utah, I only skied at Alta no snowboards.

I had no real exposure to the sport. When I moved to Colorado 2 years ago that all changed.

The first day out this year at Keystone a snowboarder turning into his blind side, hit my 7 year old little girl . 2 weeks ago at Breck, my 5 year old got hit by an out-of-control snowboarder trying to stop. Getting plowed into by someone 3 times the size of you can take all the fun out of the day. I stopped counting close calls as they happen almost every run.

I think the problem with the snowboard is there is a relatively fast learning curve. Kids can hit the blue runs after a day or two on the snow, but they lack the skills to be a safe responsible snow rider.

I know they will not go away, especially since resorts ar fighting for every skier day they can get, but it makes places like Alta and Dear Valley that much more special.

Thats just my opinion, I could be wrong.

Mike
Old January 26th, 2004, 12:45 PM
mpodgorski
martin
'94 D90 ST Arles

i personally cant stand some snowboards, the ones that tend to go straight and then throw the board sideway . I have some friends back in vermont that snowboard, but, on a alpine board. You wear hard boots and angle forwards. They carve instead of slide. Its really amazing to watch.

mike, I have seen some nasty wrecks with snowboarders and skiers that were stopped. Sorry to hear that it happened to your kids. At Stowe, one year, they designated one trail for snowboarding and another for skiers only. It worked for the skiers but the snowboards felt discrimanted for not being able to ride all the trials, also not one skier potched on to the snowboard only trail, on the other hand many snowboards potched the skiers only trail. I dont have anything against snowboarding it whats attached to the board in some cases.

martin
Old January 26th, 2004, 01:24 PM
milli
Michael D. Milliken
9590SW

Stowe, home of Jake C. and the snowboard show that has helped all of your ski resorts from turning into a puff of smoke?
Old January 26th, 2004, 02:35 PM
mpodgorski
martin
'94 D90 ST Arles

I personally met jake carpenter and put corporate races together for him and burton. His people and himself I like and admire. Its the ones that come to the mountain and see how many close calls they can have with getting kicked off i have a problem with. Getting on the lift with no ticket and escaping from the ski patrol are some of the fun things they enjoy doing.
Old January 26th, 2004, 02:58 PM
newfD90
Chance
93 NAS 110

Quote:
Originally posted by mhansen
....really cool telemarker dudes.
There 'ya go. Great bumper sticker for the D-90 "If it were easy, it would be called snowboarding"

"Fossil Fuel Rapid Disposal Unit"
Old January 26th, 2004, 03:25 PM
milli
Michael D. Milliken
9590SW

Jake's been a good guy to me (even though I rode with Hot back in the day). I'm sure he would be disappointed to hear of the chaos. He really loves that mountain.
Don't think we'll be needing any snowboards in Miami, but if you change your mind, we can give him a call!
Old January 26th, 2004, 03:29 PM
mpodgorski
martin
'94 D90 ST Arles

fort lauderdale not miami
Old January 26th, 2004, 04:32 PM
Seanh
Sean Hanagan
94 D90 ST #910 Matilda

"If it were easy, it would be called snowboarding"

Chance,
I have a sweet K2 tele t-shirt that has that slogan.

The truth is snowboarding has made significant contributions to the sport and the ski industry. User days are up significantly( some may argue that this is a down side) and buy in from kids is way up. The down side is many more people on the mountain and snowboarding seems to attract more of the "Mountain Dew” generation. Sometimes theses folks tend not to be the most aware folks on the planet. There are some great snowboarders and some not so great snowboarders as well as some great and not so great skiers. If a certain % of the population are assholes than one would expect that same percentage represented in the snow sliding population. I've met plenty of A-hole skiers, tele heads, AT'ers and snowboarders in my day. I do think the mountain is a better place with them around(except I miss "Real Moguls") you older folks know what I mean

Two years ago I started skiing tele in the backcountry and the best part of it all is the folks who are willng to work their snowboards in the bc are "aware". Peace off Piste,
Sean
Old January 26th, 2004, 06:00 PM
mhansen
Mike Hansen
97 D-90 SW #2243

Hey Sean-

Have you ever been in popular back-country spot and turned beacon to receive, and were amazed at how many young snowboarders, post-holling up a ridge, don't have a beacon. Better yet, ask them if they have taken an avalanche class? Its no wonder Colorado always has one of the highest death rates due to avy's.

Yes I have the bumper sticker.

Also have one that says Randonee' -French for can't Tele.

We should hit the back-country sometime.

Mike
Old January 26th, 2004, 06:22 PM
newfD90
Chance
93 NAS 110

Hey Sean and Mike. That sounds good. Sean, I've got the same T-shirt! I've seen the Randonee sticker, but need to find one for myself.

You guys ever do any hut trips? A group of us having doing it for the last 7 years. We've got some shoers in the group as well. Next month, it's back to Jackal.

Every year, I'm amazed by the lack of avalanche awareness/beacons in the backcountry. A couple years ago while staying at Fowler/Hilliard, we climbed up Ptarmigan hill. There were some Gen Xers up there going off the backside of the ridge with no beacons on. And no, they didn't climb up there; they were pulled by a snowmobile.

"Fossil Fuel Rapid Disposal Unit"

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Tags
colorado