Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old February 16th, 2013, 09:13 AM
johncunningham
John
None (yet)

Giving up... For now...

All,

I wonder if any of you have been in a similar place. I have lurked on this forum for years. Joined a little while ago. I have spoken with a few of you on the phone, sat in your office in Needham, come close to buying a 90 twice.

But, with 3 kids ages 4,3, and not quite 1, and an anxious wife, I have delayed the dream again. Yesterday I ordered a 4 door jeep. On the bright side, it has the factory half doors and will be a great sunny day car for me and my kids. On the dark side, it means that I am delaying a 19 year olds dream to have a Defender. I guess the other shining star is that as I approach 40, I have a whole lot more disposable income. So hopefully I will find myself with 2 capable 4 wheelers in the garage one of these days.

I'll keep lurking. Love this forum. Thanks to all that have helped me along the way.

John
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 16th, 2013, 09:15 AM
Bill Larson
Bill Larson
97 D90 SW

Well needs of the family first right...thats the motivator. Keep that dream alive! Good Luck.
Old February 16th, 2013, 09:18 AM
MUDSUX
Forrest
Like my Tatas?

Registry
Man you can never own too many 4 wheelers. I have a reliable SUV for the family and a 110 I have been tinkering with for 3 years. Keep the dream.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"It is the soldier, who salutes the flag, who serves beneath the flag, and whose coffin is draped by the flag that allows the protester to burn the flag"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 16th, 2013, 09:37 AM
Wolf Fabrication
Sterling Archer
'08 D3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
I was born and raised a Jeep guy and fulfilled my Rover dream about 5 years ago. Every so often I wish I had the luxury and reliability of a 4 door Jeep!

Semper Fi!
Old February 16th, 2013, 09:52 AM
Jackie Treehorn
A
1985 (legitimately)

Registry
Those 4-door jeeps really are a nice package. Nothing to scoff at!
I swear there is one of those 4-door Jeeps in every other driveway in my town, so I've seen a lot of color and trim combinations. So aside from the commonality of the Jeep, I'd say its a great vehicle.
My favorite one thus far is a white hardtop "something-or-other" Edition. It felt like I was riding in a Bentley compared to my 110!

Good luck and keep looking
Old February 16th, 2013, 11:04 AM
CMSgt Bo
Bo
1985 One Ten

No worries Bro, your Defender is out there somewhere patiently waiting for you. In the meantime you're going to love your new Wrangler. Our other truck is a Rubicon and the 3.6 Pentastar motor is the dogs danglies.

My mechanic told me, "I couldn't repair your brakes, so I made your horn louder."
Old February 16th, 2013, 11:09 AM
rdavisinva
Robert Davis
N/A

Would a 110 work for you?

Quote:
Originally Posted by johncunningham View Post
All, ...with 3 kids ages 4,3, and not quite 1, and an anxious wife, I have delayed the dream again.
Wouldn't a 110 have worked for your family?

Uncle "Richard" Douglas has a Land Rover with big wheels that never gets stuck... until he breaks something so it won't go. Uncle Douglas always breaks something. - Anna Crowther at the Conclave 2012 (AKA Carburetor Neck)

"What's with this death wobble, Uncle Douglas, I can't keep it in 1 lane?"
UD: "Just Power through it man!"
Old February 16th, 2013, 11:11 AM
revtor
Steve Maietta
1969 IIA 88" Bugeye

Registry
It's pretty much the perfect vehicle to get the whole crew used to road trips, camping, and 4x4 adventures! Have fun with it! The rovers will always be here, and the stars will align for you one day...
Old February 16th, 2013, 11:27 AM
JohnnyRoaster
John Parks
1983 D110

I hate to say it, but I think you made a wise choice. Wait until the kids are out of car seats and you can have your Defender as weekend car. My kids are 10, 10 and 12. They love the 110.
Old February 16th, 2013, 11:54 AM
SMac
Sam
NAS 97 D90 SW

lol. Am I on a ?eep forum?

Wise choice. Now that the Italians are putting the VM diesel into the half ton Rams, Im assuming it is only a matter of time before it shows up in the JK. And I'll be the first in line for a diesel JKU Rubi.
Old February 16th, 2013, 12:24 PM
Wolf Fabrication
Sterling Archer
'08 D3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by SMac View Post
lol. Am I on a ?eep forum?

Wise choice. Now that the Italians are putting the VM diesel into the half ton Rams, Im assuming it is only a matter of time before it shows up in the JK. And I'll be the first in line for a diesel JKU Rubi.
Supposedly the Grand Cherokee is getting a diesel, so it's coming. I diesel JK would be pretty amazing.

Semper Fi!
Old February 16th, 2013, 12:50 PM
johncunningham
John
None (yet)

A 110 would have been an ok option. I really don't want to spend what the kind of 110 I want costs. Aside from the safety of a 2013, I am also getting reliability. I work a lot (don't we all) and when I'm home I want to spend time rolling on the floor with the kids. Maybe in a couple more years I'll be able to get them out to the garage with me for quality time, but right now, we are looking for turn the key and go, without worrying about reliability.

It almost seems to come down to how many minutes in the day... At least for the next couple years, I'd rather be driving to the ice cream shop or the beach than having the kids out in the garage "helping".

John
Old February 16th, 2013, 02:58 PM
don
Don Bunnell
'86 110 3dr ST

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf Fabrication View Post

Supposedly the Grand Cherokee is getting a diesel, so it's coming. I diesel JK would be pretty amazing.
If Jeep does come out with a diesel JK I might have to change sides. Even tho there are a ton of the 4 doors in my town they are mostly all stock and basic. I quick call to Quadratrac and you can get them on 35s or even 37s easily.

But I have driven my bro-in-laws Jeep JK and I think my 90 just feels way more solid. Things like the flat flooring made mine easier to get into too. But his Jeep JK is way more kid/passenger friendly so for the OP I think it was a smart move. Like others have said, keep it and buy a Defender to fix.
Old February 16th, 2013, 03:44 PM
SMac
Sam
NAS 97 D90 SW

I think the half ton Ram diesel news is significant as it shows a willingness to do something they have had the capacity to do and we've clamored for for quite some time. They announced the diesel in the GC a while ago, but I also find the Ram news interesting in that they are willing to go with the VM unit over any of the smaller Cummins engines. I understand that the argument has always been that the half ton diesels would cost nearly as much as the heavy light duty pickups. But, you would think that ?eep and Ram would do an "American" engine based on the demographics of those who purchase them. Anywhoo, the OP is doing it right!...or shoulda got a LR4!
Old February 16th, 2013, 04:35 PM
woldd90
Scott
1997 D90 ST #1444
Site Team

Buy one when the kids get a bit older... Then they can help you work on it. My 2yo and 4yo go play in, on and around the 90 daily. They love it, and they are mad that we sold my wife's SW a few years ago.

Old February 16th, 2013, 06:24 PM
MC36
Michael Christian
97 D90 ST British Racing Green

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdavisinva View Post
Wouldn't a 110 have worked for your family?
That's what I was thinking! With three the 90 would be out. That is how I got mine the previous owner decided to have a 3rd kid and he was out of room. Good for me I guess? You my friend are going to need a 5+ passenger vehicle!
Old February 16th, 2013, 07:09 PM
SMac
Sam
NAS 97 D90 SW

Quote:
Originally Posted by MC36

That's what I was thinking! With three the 90 would be out. That is how I got mine the previous owner decided to have a 3rd kid and he was out of room. Good for me I guess? You my friend are going to need a 5+ passenger vehicle!
Think he mentioned something about wanting to spend time with his kids..... .
Old February 16th, 2013, 07:30 PM
JBinAlabama
john
Series 2A ..more parts on the way

Jeeps are cool and would be awesome with a diesel!

get a cheap 90 or series when you can to play with!
Old February 16th, 2013, 09:16 PM
Talleyrand
John
1998 Defender 110 CSW 300Tdi

Registry
Don't give up! I bought my 110 CSW when I was 34 and we had a 2-yr old. That 110 was my reliable daily driver to work and back for years when I used to commute by driving, and has been our all-round family hauler to lake, skiing, load-lugging, and cross-country driving. My kids are 11 and 5 now, and we just came back from driving the same 110 through Sudan, Ethiopia, Kenya, and Tanzania for a couple of years. I say, they are the ideal family vehicle for almost any task. Yes, I had to invest about $40K up front when I bought it but then, it has had zero depreciation over the last ten years. Show me a Jeep that can do that! I have never regretted buying my 110 and I doubt I will ever sell it. It is worth taking the time to get a good one. But for a young family, a 110 has few if any peers as the ideal vehicle. We only ever had a second car (first a VW Passat, now an LR3) because my wife never learned to drive a manual and finds the 110 too intimidating. So yeah, depending on your partner's preferences, it may not work as a sole family car. Don't loose hope!

Cheers,
John

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Tags
vin