Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old November 4th, 2015, 12:31 AM
DailyDrivenDefende
Michael
1989 110, 1985 90 200TDI

Getting the rover repaired in Canada...

Hi,

I live in Washington and close to Canadian border. I am wondering if anyone had their vehicle repaired in Canada.

I am looking to possibly get frame, engine, and bulkhead swap... or total rebuild.

Looking at the Canadian dollars, I feel like I can have some significant savings aside from having a reputable shop working on my rover. I have been told by a shop that an 200 tdi engine swap can cost $17K in the state side. I can only imagine how much it would be to have frame, engine, and bulkhead done.

Has anyone done this? Any possible headache other than obvious things like vehicle getting stolen....

Michael
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 4th, 2015, 12:51 AM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
Have you talked to Defenders NW? I would seriously doubt anything would be cheaper I'm Canada. Nothing ever is.

Land Rover. Turning owners into mechanics since 1948.
Old November 4th, 2015, 01:52 AM
D90Overkill
David Frank
1995 ST #2615

Registry
Truth! BC (especially Vancouver) is pricey! And since you are already in Washington, Brian at Defenders NorthWest would be the call to make. From what I hear, I think you'd be pleasantly surprised by his pricing. Top notch quality.

If you are looking to take advantage of a bit of arbitrage, Rovalution in North Vancouver, Canada is the place to go. I have had good experiences there and their pricing is surprising reasonable for the most expensive town in all of Canada.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 4th, 2015, 02:09 AM
DailyDrivenDefende
Michael
1989 110, 1985 90 200TDI

Hey John, yeah. I have spoken to DNW and I have to say they are steeply priced.

I know nothing about Defender will be cheap.. unfortunately, it is super simple vehicle to work on. That is what makes me look around for a shop who will work on it and charge honestly, not because they can charge for it. Maybe I am dreaming...

David,

I am looking at Rovolution to work on mine and they seemed to have a great review. Lamorna in Seattle while I believe they seemed to do good work but they want to work on the vehicle their own way and charge what they want.

I feel like I can work on it but the opportunity cost, possibility of me getting lazy through the project and not getting it done for months and years make me think twice to get it done by paid professionals.

Do you guys know what the cost is with getting frame swapped in Canada?
Old November 4th, 2015, 02:27 AM
Rocky
Chris
72 + D1 drivetrain

Why do you think DNM is pricey? Did you really mean to imply they'll charge dishonestly?

Please be specific. Did you take your truck there? Be good to see some photos of your truck. Have you ever done a frame swap? There is truly an enormous amount of work involved. There is also a ton stuff worth doing while the truck is apart.

I don't know about the brakes, only their unreliability.
Old November 4th, 2015, 03:00 AM
DailyDrivenDefende
Michael
1989 110, 1985 90 200TDI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky View Post
Why do you think DNM is pricey? Did you really mean to imply they'll charge dishonestly?

Please be specific. Did you take your truck there? Be good to see some photos of your truck. Have you ever done a frame swap? There is truly an enormous amount of work involved. There is also a ton stuff worth doing while the truck is apart.
Well YOU just implied a lotta things and fed a lotta words in my mouth.. Excuse you. First of all, don't take this personally and get all defensive, angry and stuff. I have never addressed you personally into this.

I have never done a frame swap but I have been wrenched casually for 20 years and I have done some a few transfer case rebuilds, set a few ring and pinion gear sets along with locker installs in case you were questioning my ability to understand the magnitude of this job.

I have never worked with DNW. I asked about an engine swap. They were on the higher end of the estimates that I received from different shops. I am sure their work is great but they have a business to run. I get it. This is all business, not a charity.

Point of this thread is about getting feedback on repairs done in Canada. I am trying to evaluate viability of getting repair done in Canadian side while taking advantage of currency situation. 20percent saving on 30-40k is substantial. Also they don't have 25 year rules like we do driving the value of the Defenders up incredibly high. Thinking in those terms I figured it may be bit more reasonable to get repairs done on that side hence researching about this.

I am attaching my 110 photo.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	158.2 KB
ID:	133848  
Old November 4th, 2015, 03:24 AM
DailyDrivenDefende
Michael
1989 110, 1985 90 200TDI

One more.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	83.5 KB
ID:	133849  
Old November 4th, 2015, 07:12 AM
CDNRover
Jeff Labbé
110 Ex-Mod FFR 200tdi

Registry
Britanica restoration near the border (Lennoxville Québec). Fellow name Micheal Wesson (brit), has about 20 years in the land-rover bussiness. Frame swap, complete restoration to high standard and parts supplier. Try is website at britrest.com. Tell him Jeff sends you. Always good price and no bs. The men knows his trade and has contact for parts hard to find. Cheaper then rovers north and the craftmanship is awesome.
Old November 4th, 2015, 08:31 AM
LR Max
Thomason, Max
1973 Series 3 109

Get references. I've had either great experiences working with Canadian companies, or terrible ones. Global Roamer/roverdrive/RM has always been great (Once roamer sent some parts to an old address. A pain but not the end of the world).

On the flipside, I've dealt with a ton of companies that don't return phone calls, are expensive, and downright lazy (outside of the rover industry, but I've seen it in many industries so I feel like I should extend it this warning to the rover community).

So just be careful. Our American Mentality of "get it done" sometimes doesn't translate into other cultures.

And I agree on the rising price of doing work on rovers. My local shop, I love em to death. But the last bill I got...for not a lot of work, I decided to start doing my own repairs again. Usually it was quicker for me to do the repairs as well (seems like everytime I take my rover in, its like, 3 months).
Old November 4th, 2015, 09:55 AM
Rugbier
Gustavo
110 Tdi - 110 N/A - D3 HSE - RRS SC

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by DailyDrivenDefende View Post
Well YOU just implied a lotta things and fed a lotta words in my mouth.. Excuse you. First of all, don't take this personally and get all defensive, angry and stuff. I have never addressed you personally into this. I have never done a frame swap but I have been wrenched casually for 20 years and I have done some a few transfer case rebuilds, set a few ring and pinion gear sets along with locker installs in case you were questioning my ability to understand the magnitude of this job. I have never worked with DNW. I asked about an engine swap. They were on the higher end of the estimates that I received from different shops. I am sure their work is great but they have a business to run. I get it. This is all business, not a charity. Point of this thread is about getting feedback on repairs done in Canada. I am trying to evaluate viability of getting repair done in Canadian side while taking advantage of currency situation. 20percent saving on 30-40k is substantial. Also they don't have 25 year rules like we do driving the value of the Defenders up incredibly high. Thinking in those terms I figured it may be bit more reasonable to get repairs done on that side hence researching about this. I am attaching my 110 photo.
You need to visit DNW and see the quality of work Brian put in his projects

Pricey? Doubt it, have you compared the market or you think is " pricey " based on what you think the job would cost ?

Of course if you are prepared to deal with the consequences of the outcome caused by economic decision rather than wise decision ( you get what you pay for, rings the bell? )

If you search , you will find some horrors created by some of those " less pricey " shops

GL
Old November 4th, 2015, 10:21 AM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
If you want cheap, do it yourself. It is the only way. Paying any mechanic to do a huge, labour intensive job is crazy and expensive.

The problem with your comparison is that the devil is in the details. Understanding how much is put into those details requires a LOT of in depth knowledge and investigation.

There is no way in hell that apples to apples a Canadian shop, especially a west coast one will be cheaper. The exchange rate means nothing. People get paid more in Canada. The parts all come out of the same places.

I would also be very careful with taking your heavily modified truck back and forth across the border.... Remember, it is no longer in compliance one the engine is changed.

Land Rover. Turning owners into mechanics since 1948.
Old November 4th, 2015, 11:18 AM
Daddymow
Raub A.
1987 D110 Tithonus

Registry
Quote:

X2 on what Chris said and he isn't putting words in your mouth.

Quote: "Hey John, yeah. I have spoken to DNW and I have to say they are steeply priced.

I know nothing about Defender will be cheap.. unfortunately, it is super simple vehicle to work on. That is what makes me look around for a shop who will work on it and charge honestly, not because they can charge for it. Maybe I am dreaming..."

DNW has a hard earned and stellar reputation for honest and high quality work. I have also heard from people I know and trust that he is a great guy who is always willing to lend a hand when someone needs help. I'm just a little miffed at the words YOU typed.
Old November 4th, 2015, 03:49 PM
DailyDrivenDefende
Michael
1989 110, 1985 90 200TDI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daddymow View Post
DNW has a hard earned and stellar reputation for honest and high quality work. I have also heard from people I know and trust that he is a great guy who is always willing to lend a hand when someone needs help. I'm just a little miffed at the words YOU typed.

Thanks for your help in answering my question! You are awesome! If you have a problem with me, PM me and stop posting it on here. LOL
Old November 4th, 2015, 04:07 PM
Daddymow
Raub A.
1987 D110 Tithonus

Registry
Good luck with your search for a cheap Canadian mechanic - plenty out there I'm sure.
Old November 5th, 2015, 01:51 AM
DailyDrivenDefende
Michael
1989 110, 1985 90 200TDI

Out of curiosity, when a vehicle goes across the border do they inspect the vehicle parts other than registration and passports of the vehicle occupants? Do they go through the engine and parts?

I know how to make congruent comparisons and understand value. That is why I am researching into this to learn if there is a value to be found. It seems like only a couple had a first hand experience and they in fact had positive experience as far as I can tell. The rest is just... posting with incredible amount of hostility. LOL

Exchange rate means a lot of things, the relative trend tells how a country's economy is doing in relative generalized terms. Canada definitely isn't doing any better than a few years ago looking at currency rate. Not all Canadians make more money than every single Americans.

Canadian defenders don't have as much price inflation as we do in US because there is either less demand and/or more supply. Defender is not as much a commodity in Canada hence "Rover/Defender premium" may not be as high as in US? Their 15 year rule puts us 10 years behind potential rover vehicle supplies?
Old November 5th, 2015, 02:30 AM
Rocky
Chris
72 + D1 drivetrain

Quote:
Originally Posted by DailyDrivenDefende View Post
Thanks for your help in answering my question! You are awesome! If you have a problem with me, PM me and stop posting it on here. LOL
If you can't take the questioning of your own statements in an effort to improve the advice you get, don't ask.

I don't know about the brakes, only their unreliability.
Old November 5th, 2015, 07:37 AM
Wilboro
William Ficner
1997 110 csw

Registry
Not sure about labor, but you will pay more for Defender parts in Canada than you will getting them from the US or UK.... Much smaller pool of parts and outrageous shipping prices in Canada.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old November 5th, 2015, 10:22 AM
DailyDrivenDefende
Michael
1989 110, 1985 90 200TDI

I see. I thought there would be more supply of parts but I guess not?

What do engine conversions and frame swaps cost in Canada?

------ Follow up post added November 5th, 2015 07:25 AM ------

Quote:
If you can't take the questioning of your own statements in an effort to improve the advice you get, don't ask.
OK. I won't be asking for your advice so please don't answer.
Old November 5th, 2015, 12:12 PM
CDN38
Scott Pelly
2000 110 TD5

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilboro View Post
Not sure about labor, but you will pay more for Defender parts in Canada than you will getting them from the US or UK.... Much smaller pool of parts and outrageous shipping prices in Canada.
I do agree, parts in the UK are less costly than in the Americas, that's where they all are stocked.

New part price differences between US and Canada shouldn't really be generalized by country though.

Parts prices vary more on how you buy, where you buy and how you ship, vs. where you are located.
Old November 5th, 2015, 04:42 PM
CDNRover
Jeff Labbé
110 Ex-Mod FFR 200tdi

Registry
Parts in Canada are not more expensive then in the usa. Depending where you buy it. UK to canada is cheap. UK to usa then canada, it's expensive. Remember that Canada is a common wealth country as UK. Duty are affordable. People (Canada) buying parts from Rover North get an expensive bill and shipping is rubbish. Shipping in Canada is a real joke! Expensive slow and they (Canada postal service) sometimes lost your goods. Try to get a refund!! I have a couple of hundred cdn$ of goods somewhere. Can get it and can get Canada postal service responsible and they bloody don't care..

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat