Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old November 5th, 2015, 04:56 PM
Wilboro
William Ficner
1997 110 csw

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by CDNRover View Post
Parts in Canada are not more expensive then in the usa. Depending where you buy it. UK to canada is cheap. UK to usa then canada, it's expensive. Remember that Canada is a common wealth country as UK. Duty are affordable. People (Canada) buying parts from Rover North get an expensive bill and shipping is rubbish. Shipping in Canada is a real joke! Expensive slow and they (Canada postal service) sometimes lost your goods. Try to get a refund!! I have a couple of hundred cdn$ of goods somewhere. Can get it and can get Canada postal service responsible and they bloody don't care..

On new parts I would agree about US prices not being much better if not worse especially with the current dollar.
That being said there are almost no real substantial stocking dealers in the country... At least none that I'm aware of. It's mostly "I can order that for you in a week or two"....not much value added in most cases.

However the used and NTO market out of the USA can be very affordable. Especially if you're lucky enough to live near the border and can get a US shipping address and avoid brokerage fees.

I can't count how many shipments Of rover parts I've picked up in Northern NY this year, and saved a bundle in the process.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 5th, 2015, 10:29 PM
Skeena river rover
jeroen
1997 300 TDI 110

And remember there is nothing like just a frame swap. Its like a old house you start taking it apart you will find more problems! so a 20k job turns in a 30k job. Brake lines fuel lines rubbers when you start you will find out a lot of things you didn't want to find. I have done several frame swaps and they have always been a lot more expensive then i have been quoted! So budget more money like renovating a house.
Old November 6th, 2015, 05:48 PM
Mybluett
Defenders Northwest
110SW
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Michael,

Call Rovalution and ask them for a quote - They do indeed perform excellent work at reasonable pricing, and the strong exchange rate should help a bit with labour costs. Parts are bought and shipped by the GBP - thus the weak CAD will likely mean a wash on parts pricing, and shipping to the West Coast is just more than the East Coast regardless of country.

Our initial estimate is based on experience with the significant amount of parts needed to do these projects correctly, the many possible problems that can occur, and that we are not willing to use substandard parts in critical applications. We had one client with a tight budget and timeline where the result was work below our capabilities, outside his expectations, and over budget to the point of us spending several thousand dollars for the privilege of disappointing a customer. This is a project I regret taking, and an experience I can't afford to repeat. As a result we do our best to provide accurate time and cost estimates that are not sugar-coated.

The parts costs for a rebuilt motor and ancillaries can easily reach $10k-$12K depending on the starting point and desired result, add onto that the cost of a chassis, and potentially hundreds of labour hours; you can see where the costs begin to add up. Our labor rates are competitive with most focused independent service shops, though I would prefer not to build a truck for you, but to build one with you.

My suggestion is to do it yourself - we can help with the heavy lifting, or knowledge intensive portions of the project. My preference is the Owner Managed Project work - where we can provide workspace, tools, and knowledge to support, train, and encourage an individual to take ownership of their restoration. The understanding and connection with a vehicle you build yourself can not be matched with one bought already done. A Defender is not a difficult vehicle on which to do your own work, and having someone help with the planning and procedures keeps the project moving. What you need to decide is how much you value your time into the project. If you don't have the time, or don't enjoy the process, then you can pay folks to do the work for you at the rate at which they value their own time.

We are booked currently through March 2016 at this time, with projects that are both contract labor or owner managed, and are happy to supply parts for your project should you decide to do it yourself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red90 View Post
If you want cheap, do it yourself. It is the only way. Paying any mechanic to do a huge, labour intensive job is crazy and expensive.

The problem with your comparison is that the devil is in the details. Understanding how much is put into those details requires a LOT of in depth knowledge and investigation.
This is the crux of the matter, and an accurate reflection of the challenges. Lots of big parts with lots of hours involved make something like an engine upgrade, or chassis replacement on an imported vehicle a potentially expensive proposition.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 6th, 2015, 06:00 PM
grnrvrs
Paul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mybluett View Post

My suggestion is to do it yourself - we can help with the heavy lifting, or knowledge intensive portions of the project. My preference is the Owner Managed Project work - where we can provide workspace, tools, and knowledge to support, train, and encourage an individual to take ownership of their restoration. The understanding and connection with a vehicle you build yourself can not be matched with one bought already done.
That is an awesome bit of advice/offer.
Old November 6th, 2015, 06:08 PM
UserName
Andy
Janey

Registry
Michael,
Most likely you already know them but have you checked with Zombie Motors in Portland? I don't know if they do good work but it seems like they are always trying to get rid of 200tdi's and even 300tdi's. I think I saw something on Craigslist awhile back that they were going to have a big yard sale to move some 200tdi motors out of the way. I know nothing about them other than noticing that they have a lot of motors on hand and do swaps in their shop. Perhaps this is like telling a VT rover owner about Rovers North - if so sorry for the post.
Old November 6th, 2015, 06:50 PM
UserName
Andy
Janey

Registry
I'm glad that I mentioned that I didn't know anything about them other than that they peddle engines.
Old November 8th, 2015, 07:45 AM
Daddymow
Raub A.
1987 D110 Tithonus

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSBriggs View Post
Zak Mosieur (ZombieMotors) has a bit of a reputation. Id do a search. It might be ok to do cash and carry, but be careful.

-Jeff
This douche deserves Zombie motors.
Old November 8th, 2015, 09:18 AM
Z.G
Zack
300Tdi 95 D1

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daddymow View Post
This douche deserves Zombie motors.

He moved to Atlanta or that area I believe.
Old November 9th, 2015, 04:18 AM
DailyDrivenDefende
Michael
1989 110, 1985 90 200TDI

Zak moved onto EC and spoke to the guy on the phone before I knew nothing about the guy.

I found a Seattle local who was selling his engine that was purchased 2 years ago. Luckily a few folks on this board were very nice to warn me about the zombie motors a few weeks ago.

I think Zak has a long track record even with a mug shot floating around. Never dealt with him other than a call though but the Seattle local seller did say that there were a few parts that he never received from Zak.

Thanks for taking time to answer and creating recommendation on how to tackle this, mybluett.

I would love to work on my vehicle and I do. If DNW allows owner participation, that is awesome to know. I will call one day to make an appt with DNW to create a good laundry list of to dos.

Thanks again!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat