Getting Registered and Insured - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat


Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old August 12th, 2014, 03:01 PM
RBBailey
Status: Offline
RBBailey
1965 IIa
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Damascus, Oregon
Posts: 1,580
Registry
Getting Registered and Insured

OK, so what have you all done to get your original 110/90's registered.

I live in a small area that requires DEQ testing. Having the 1988 in original condition means it is a 3.5 with carbs and no cats. Yet they are insisting on me having the same standards as a Range Rover from 1988.

Since it won't go through DEQ, my insurance company is threatening to drop me. They say the only reason they are even looking at my car is because I've been with them for a long time.

I think it is a bit ironic that I go out of my way to make sure I have an original 1988, detailed history truck, but I can't get it registered or insured because it is original. If I upgrade it with "iffy" parts, they will be all happy, but then, apparently, it could be confiscated by the Feds.

Anyway, my agent says he can stall them for 2 to 3 weeks, but after that... the company office have already reported me to the State, and the State will probably come after it.

Basically damned if I do, damned if I don't.
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #2  
Old August 12th, 2014, 03:23 PM
tjfslaughter's Avatar
tjfslaughter
Status: Offline
thomas
Burbon
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: NorthEast
Posts: 4,563
Get collectors car insurance. You don't have to have collectors plates to have this insurance. I recently dropped Chubb and went with another company and they allow me 7500 miles a year as long as I am not commuting to work.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old August 12th, 2014, 03:27 PM
Jackie Treehorn's Avatar
Jackie Treehorn
Status: Offline
A
1985 (legitimately)
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 1,984
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjfslaughter View Post
Get collectors car insurance.
^^^this
however, I'm told that Hagerty and others have tightened their standards regarding the age when it's a 4x4. Older than 20 years for most cars, but I think it's 30 years or older for 4x4s now. CHeck and make sure.
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #4  
Old August 12th, 2014, 03:27 PM
the rover shop
Status: Offline
shayne young
89,93 & 95 camel trophy 110s 06 130
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: ft lauderdale florida
Posts: 5,225
Need to get a letter stating it is exempt from the EPA .. Call the EPA or dot and tell them to provide the statute where is says its exempt..
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old August 12th, 2014, 03:28 PM
tjfslaughter's Avatar
tjfslaughter
Status: Offline
thomas
Burbon
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: NorthEast
Posts: 4,563
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackie Treehorn View Post
^^^this
however, I'm told that Hagerty and others have tightened their standards regarding the age when it's a 4x4. Older than 20 years for most cars, but I think it's 30 years or older for 4x4s now. CHeck and make sure.


American Collectors works for me.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old August 12th, 2014, 03:31 PM
RBBailey
Status: Offline
RBBailey
1965 IIa
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Damascus, Oregon
Posts: 1,580
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by the rover shop View Post
Need to get a letter stating it is exempt from the EPA .. Call the EPA or dot and tell them to provide the statute where is says its exempt..
They know it is, but don't care.

I think getting insured will work if I shop for another company, but I'm still stuck with getting registered.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old August 12th, 2014, 03:40 PM
tjfslaughter's Avatar
tjfslaughter
Status: Offline
thomas
Burbon
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: NorthEast
Posts: 4,563
Do you know your local Representative? You might want to call them up.


He or She might laugh at first that you need DMV help but this looks legit. I would also get it in writing or at least ask for the ordinance number citing this.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old August 12th, 2014, 03:51 PM
the rover shop
Status: Offline
shayne young
89,93 & 95 camel trophy 110s 06 130
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: ft lauderdale florida
Posts: 5,225
Talk to a supervisor at the DMV .. If they know it complies with the requirements but refuse to abide by it then theoretically they are breaking the laws by not following..
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old August 12th, 2014, 03:52 PM
RBBailey
Status: Offline
RBBailey
1965 IIa
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Damascus, Oregon
Posts: 1,580
Registry
Not sure what you mean. The insurance company can drop me if they want. I disagree with them, but.... I can shop around.

Are you referring to the issues with DEQ/DMV? I don't know why they insist on testing it as a 1988 Range Rover other than that is what is in their computer, nothing else, so that's what they are testing it as.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old August 12th, 2014, 04:00 PM
tjfslaughter's Avatar
tjfslaughter
Status: Offline
thomas
Burbon
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: NorthEast
Posts: 4,563
Quote:
Originally Posted by the rover shop View Post
Talk to a supervisor at the DMV .. If they know it complies with the requirements but refuse to abide by it then theoretically they are breaking the laws by not following..

^^^ yep


They cant hold you accountable for Range Rover emissions.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old August 12th, 2014, 04:08 PM
RBBailey
Status: Offline
RBBailey
1965 IIa
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Damascus, Oregon
Posts: 1,580
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSBriggs View Post
Oregon Department of Environmental Quality
Headquarters: 811 SW Sixth Ave., Portland, OR 97204-1390
Phone: 503-229-5696 or toll free in Oregon 1-800-452-4011

Call them and explain that the testing station is in error as to what vehicle you have and how to test it.

-Jeff
Yep, went to two different stations. I questioned them on it, and they had secret negotiations with their managers. I tried to tell them that there was logic in the idea that a Rover 110 is not a Range Rover, but they basically ignored me.

Last time I called I never got past the automated system.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
FS: 2010 SPEC D110 Registered and Titled in CA pumadefender For Sale - Vehicles 126 August 27th, 2011 02:03 PM
'84 D90 300TDI, R380 5Speed, California Registered! robbie For Sale - Vehicles 12 May 3rd, 2011 01:45 PM
Can you get a truck through customs without a registered importer? bitz Defender Technical Discussions 35 July 23rd, 2009 01:24 PM
1974 Registered Series III Hybrid-RHD wlykes For Sale - Vehicles 5 July 23rd, 2009 12:45 AM
How I got a 1990 D-90 Registered Buckon37s Misc. Chit-Chat 14 November 26th, 2003 03:50 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:14 PM.


Copyright