Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Join the Defender Source Community Today

Old August 19th, 2016, 10:21 AM
johnnydakota
Mike
1991 Defender 200 tdi

Getting an imported Defender home

Hi all,

I was trying to register a Defender that is coming in next week, but the NY dmv says that I have to have the customs papers before I can register it and there is nothing they can do regarding temporary plates etc. They told me to have it transported on a flatbed home which would be a small fortune.

My question is, are there any other ways to get it home without breaking the law? I've heard that you can drive it for up to a month without registration, but I don't know if that's true? Any suggestions at all? Thanks!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 19th, 2016, 10:25 AM
javelinadave
-
-

UHaul flatbed trailer?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 19th, 2016, 10:27 AM
JohnsD90
John
74 SIII 88", 88 110, 91 110

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnydakota View Post
Hi all,

I was trying to register a Defender that is coming in next week, but the NY dmv says that I have to have the customs papers before I can register it and there is nothing they can do regarding temporary plates etc. They told me to have it transported on a flatbed home which would be a small fortune.

My question is, are there any other ways to get it home without breaking the law? I've heard that you can drive it for up to a month without registration, but I don't know if that's true? Any suggestions at all? Thanks!!
Put insurance on it and run the foreign tags. Doug says you're good for 30 days on foriegn tags, I never found the law/regulation stating this. It's gonna be a couple hundred to get it towed to you, which is expensive. Even if you got a ticket for driving without registration, they are usually like $150-200, but the cop would probably be very confused about the situation anyway. I drove around for 3 weeks on QLD tags in CT before registering.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 19th, 2016, 10:37 AM
broadstone
Chris
'84 CSW 90 '74 NADA III '97 CSW 110

Registry
I agree with John. I drove two trucks on my French plates from Newark to NW CT. Just get it insured on a US policy. If you get pulled over you are registered (though in a different Country) and insured, so they can't get you for those.
Old August 19th, 2016, 10:45 AM
AdamSanta85
Adam
1991 D90 SW

Registry
I went through this a few weeks ago. Tow companies wanted $450 to flatbed it the 1.5 hours home. I borrowed a friends 'dealer plate' and drove it home from the port. I already had insurance on it. My truck didn't come with foreign plates, at least by the time I got my hands on it.

I was tempted to just put 'In Transit' in the window, but I felt like getting the truck all the way here was already such a process, why risk anything now.
Old August 19th, 2016, 10:45 AM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
https://dmv.ny.gov/registration/regi...-state-vehicle

Quote:
if you are a resident of New York and you get a vehicle from another state which you will be driving on New York State roadways, you must register the vehicle here within 30 days

Land Rover. Turning owners into mechanics since 1948.
Old August 19th, 2016, 10:58 AM
javelinadave
-
-

I believe this link is more applicable:
https://dmv.ny.gov/registration/regi...ported-vehicle
Old August 19th, 2016, 11:26 AM
Chip
Andrew
1994 NAS Defender 90

That is so weird. In Oregon you can get a trip permit for any vehicle you want. You just need to provide insurance info. They say permits are valid on Oregon roads from other states. I'm sure that's true in NY too. Maybe you could just pick one up from another state. You can get one from Oregon by mail. You just provide a copy of the insurance, your driver's license, and a check for the fee. Write a short letter like, "I'm moving to Oregon and I need a trip permit for my non-registered vehicle." They allow you two within a 12-month period.
Old August 19th, 2016, 11:32 AM
roverman2010
John
1985 LR 90 200Tdi

Registry
Put insurance on it and drive on the plates it has for 30 days in Texas, as everybody has said. You can't do nothing with DMV till you got the papers and inspection.

Still looking for that place where I can carry a paddle and get asked what's that.

JnK Services
FC101 GS FFR
57 LR 88" SXF 858
85 LR90
95 D1 Tdi
05 D3 HSE
97 XK8 FHC
Old August 19th, 2016, 11:40 AM
1of40
1of40
NAS 97SW & 83 One Ten Tdi

Registry
I have a great relationship with my agent. I would call her and explain the whole ordeal and see if she could find a way to have me covered. I doubt the state is going to have a big problem with lack of plates. They are much more concerned about insured vehicles on the road.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old August 19th, 2016, 11:53 AM
Willh
Will Hedrick
Use to own NAS #96, #1778, & #1008

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnydakota View Post
Hi all,

New York In-Transit Permit

https://dmv.ny.gov/registration/tran...y-registration

And, here is a link to the In-Transit application form:

https://dmv.ny.gov/forms/mv82itp.pdf

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Please feel free to visit my website at:

Quote:
Willh is the F'n man! Defender of the Defenders! - Overlander
Old August 19th, 2016, 11:58 AM
RoverNY
Darrell
1987 Defender 90 ex-MOD

Registry
And I can help you get insurance if you need it....

Darrell Stewart
www.thestewartinsuranceagency.com
Old August 23rd, 2016, 11:41 AM
johnnydakota
Mike
1991 Defender 200 tdi

Thanks everybody for the replies! I confirmed that it still has the foreign tags on it, but I will look into getting the temporary transit permit as well. Thanks again!
Old August 23rd, 2016, 12:47 PM
Nick&Nora
Matthew Smith
1989/110

Registry
I drove mine (infrequently) in and around NYC for about a month on French plates before NYS tags came. It was properly insured before a list member collected it from the port of Newark for me. That was early this year.

For what it is worth, I used a title service to handle my registration and title. I never even had to go to the DMV. PM me if you want detail;. I may have posted them previously.
Old August 23rd, 2016, 03:23 PM
tacthomas
Jesse
'89 RHD 110

Registry
I drove mine across the country (Baltimore to Seattle) on South African plates. Was passed by numerous cops and was never stopped. Just have insurance and AAA.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Tags
defender, import