George at RDS has been sick this week.. - Page 2 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old August 6th, 2008, 08:15 PM
Neil McCauley
Neil McCauley
94 ST, 97 ST, 93 110

Chris when was the last time you drove a series vehicle? Seriously the novelty wears out after a decade or so, I mean at least you'll develop muscular arms while parking.

Robert Deniro
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 6th, 2008, 09:45 PM
Shearpin
Henry Stinson
'73 Series III SWB '84 110 tdi

Damn - I hope he's on the mend. I've been leaving messages on his phone all week and feel like an ass now. A true character....

I called to order from George a week ago and he directed me to the main US vendor who had a better price. I hesitated then decided to give them a call. The vendor said "parts are in stock and will ship for the weekend". The weekend comes and I head to the garage with my box and coveralls. Open the box up - one of the two parts I needed F'n back ordered.

Price isn't everything....

Henry
www.4x4freedom.com
Old August 6th, 2008, 10:38 PM
chrisvonc
Chris von C
No Defender at this time

Damn Jack nice find! Thanks

Follow-up Post:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil McCauley
Chris when was the last time you drove a series vehicle? Seriously the novelty wears out after a decade or so, I mean at least you'll develop muscular arms while parking.
I was not really interested in ever getting one but when a family member gave me one they had sitting around, I decided to take on the restore of it.

Please email one of the current MODs if you need assistance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lriwater: As you know, most wives don't like Series trucks due to the ride and lack of creature comforts. Girlfriends seem to like those, but some sort of magic happens during the wedding ceremony.
[/size]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 7th, 2008, 04:02 AM
Neil McCauley
Neil McCauley
94 ST, 97 ST, 93 110

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisvonc
Damn Jack nice find! Thanks

Follow-up Post:

I was not really interested in ever getting one but when a family member gave me one they had sitting around, I decided to take on the restore of it.
It's really a tough rig to drive around compared to anything else you got, I try to avoid driving my series trucks most of the time lately, its such a pain after so many years. First few years are cool than you sorta grow out of it inevitably. Did you sell your D90?

Robert Deniro
Old August 7th, 2008, 06:50 AM
JackW
Jack Walter
1966 109 SW Diesel

Quote:
It's really a tough rig to drive around compared to anything else you got, I try to avoid driving my series trucks most of the time lately, its such a pain after so many years. First few years are cool than you sorta grow out of it inevitably.
I don't know about that - I've been driving Series trucks since 1972 and haven't grown out of it yet. It's the attraction of a basic (very, very basic) vehicle that makes it attractive somehow. It forces you to slow down and enjoy the moment.

Its sort of like early Porsche 911's - you have to DRIVE them every moment - there's no sort of sit back, relax and vaguely point the steering wheel in the direction you'd like to go mode. Series trucks are very involving and while they may not be the best daily commuter, to me they have a charm that doesn't wear off.
Old August 7th, 2008, 08:21 AM
landrovered
S. Smith
72 Series III 109 Diesel

If I was forced to choose only one of my rovers out of the three I would take the series. There is no stisfaction like trundling along in an old series Land Rover.
Old August 7th, 2008, 08:46 AM
chrisvonc
Chris von C
No Defender at this time

Quote:
It's really a tough rig to drive around compared to anything else you got, I try to avoid driving my series trucks most of the time lately, its such a pain after so many years. First few years are cool than you sorta grow out of it inevitably. Did you sell your D90?
Nah I still have it. I dont think I will be getting rid of it now if I can help it.

Please email one of the current MODs if you need assistance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lriwater: As you know, most wives don't like Series trucks due to the ride and lack of creature comforts. Girlfriends seem to like those, but some sort of magic happens during the wedding ceremony.
[/size]
Old August 7th, 2008, 12:42 PM
Neil McCauley
Neil McCauley
94 ST, 97 ST, 93 110

Well I live in LA, and the traffic here is horriffic, and the sloppyness in the steering keeps me on my toes, I'm always constantly trying to correct the steering even in a straight line. The brakes aren't the greatest so i gotta always make sure I got enough stopping space between me andn the car ahead. Plus its always hot in LA and that exhaust tube underneath my right foot dosen't help a whole lot either. Come to think of it, mabye my steering box is just worn out. Does George sell new boxes/relays? lol

Robert Deniro
Old August 7th, 2008, 01:24 PM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

"I'm always constantly trying to correct the steering even in a straight line."

In good condition the steering is pretty good on a series truck. New ball joints and adjusting the steering box (rebuild if necessary) and it is tight (assuming the bulkhead is not rusted out . . . .).
Old August 7th, 2008, 05:51 PM
Neil McCauley
Neil McCauley
94 ST, 97 ST, 93 110

Thanks Ron, that does make sense and after I tried adjusting the box, the steering wheel became awfully hard to turn. I think I tightened the bolt too much. Does anyone know how to rebiuld series III steering boxes? I've been using 90 wt on the relay and box and the box leaks like a sieve. I hear they are pandoras box. No chance with Meridian I'm sure. Thanks for the point in the right direction.

Robert Deniro
Old August 7th, 2008, 06:28 PM
pendy
jim pendleton
89'd90

George was back at work today for a while. Still having breathing difficulty but worlds better. To much hate and discontent for him to spread still I guess.

Advice is only as good as the person applying it--
Don't make me give you bad advice!

Lemons or lemonaide, whatever your taste provides.
Old August 7th, 2008, 07:59 PM
D90DRC
D Cantrell
1997 D90SW

Get better you slacker, You have not gotten all of my kids inheritance yet
Old August 21st, 2008, 03:16 PM
snuffer
Randy Black
'95 D 90 SW

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackW
I don't know about that - I've been driving Series trucks since 1972 and haven't grown out of it yet. It's the attraction of a basic (very, very basic) vehicle that makes it attractive somehow. It forces you to slow down and enjoy the moment.

Its sort of like early Porsche 911's - you have to DRIVE them every moment - there's no sort of sit back, relax and vaguely point the steering wheel in the direction you'd like to go mode. Series trucks are very involving and while they may not be the best daily commuter, to me they have a charm that doesn't wear off.

They remind me of some of the old hay trucks I used to drive....I couldn't drive one without a smile on my face...until they break and sometimes even that was fun...unless it was late Friday afternoon.

George, you should move out of that lowland to someplace healthier, like East St Louis.
Old August 21st, 2008, 03:19 PM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
I have a cat from East St Louis. He drinks water from the shower, has a bad hair-style, and does kung fu. He's never been right.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat