Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old March 28th, 2009, 03:02 PM
shawnpalmer
Shawn Palmer
1997 SW-Arles Blue

Registry
Gears

Where is the best place to get some gears now? I'd like to change the ratio to add a little more power.

97 D90 SW
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 28th, 2009, 05:54 PM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
maybe try Lucky 8. I think hes got a Dalmation thats cool
Old March 29th, 2009, 12:40 AM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

Toyota swap from rovertracks.
Advertisement

Old March 29th, 2009, 01:15 PM
Joe P
Joe Pfeiffer
Black 97 D-90ST #0605

The toyota swap will disable the ABS and therefore light up the check engine lamp, which in CA means you can't pass smog. Not sure about other states.
Old March 29th, 2009, 09:12 PM
pushngo
Randy Williams

Definately Justin at L8
Old March 29th, 2009, 09:34 PM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe P
The toyota swap will disable the ABS and therefore light up the check engine lamp, which in CA means you can't pass smog. Not sure about other states.
Pull the bulb out?

BUCK Wild Racing
Driver: Me
Co-driver: Pat Quirk
Team 911

Rover Tracks
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
PSC
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline
Made it further than half of the other guys, but the Hammers won.
Old March 29th, 2009, 09:42 PM
shawnpalmer
Shawn Palmer
1997 SW-Arles Blue

Registry
It probably sets off an ECU code.

Does anyone have any for sale on the board here?
Bill's are $450 each new. I am looking for 4.14 front and rear.

Follow-up Post:

Quote:
Originally Posted by pushngo
Definately Justin at L8

Will try.

97 D90 SW
Old March 29th, 2009, 11:31 PM
discotdi
Todd Miller
Land Rover

Great Basin is good source. Bill is very knowledgeable and will treat you right. Doing a Toyota swap seems shameful, just buy a Toyota. Besides ask Bill about it he can tell you many reasons not to.
Old March 30th, 2009, 12:16 AM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

Quote:
Originally Posted by discotdi
Great Basin is good source. Bill is very knowledgeable and will treat you right. Doing a Toyota swap seems shameful, just buy a Toyota. Besides ask Bill about it he can tell you many reasons not to.
They are much cheaper, much stronger, have more gearing options, and can be found everywhere. There is nothing shameful about it. The "it has to be rover even if it sucks" mentality is wearing on me.

BUCK Wild Racing
Team 911

Rover Tracks
PSC
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline
Old March 30th, 2009, 10:28 AM
discotdi
Todd Miller
Land Rover

Well if you take a perfectly good LR and add a non LR engine, non LR gears, tranny, t-box, etc and leave it with just the LR shape and a LR badge then it ain't a LR. But whatever, to each his own. I just prefer to keep my LR a LR and wheel it and drive to work everyday and take the good with the bad. I own Land Rovers because I think they are the best 4x4 by far right out of the box. You can take a Suzuki Samari and "build it" into a great off road machine, but then you can't really claim it's a Suzuki anymore, same with a Land Rover.
Old March 30th, 2009, 10:49 AM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

Quote:
Well if you take a perfectly good LR and add a non LR engine, non LR gears, tranny, t-box, etc and leave it with just the LR shape and a LR badge then it ain't a LR. But whatever, to each his own. I just prefer to keep my LR a LR and wheel it and drive to work everyday and take the good with the bad. I own Land Rovers because I think they are the best 4x4 by far right out of the box. You can take a Suzuki Samari and "build it" into a great off road machine, but then you can't really claim it's a Suzuki anymore, same with a Land Rover.
NAS Defenders come with buick engines. Is Land Rover not rover enough for you? Give me a break. GBR isn't rover either so if you have his gears you better pull those out right away.

If something better is available, for less, who cares.

BUCK Wild Racing
Team 911

Rover Tracks
PSC
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline
Old March 30th, 2009, 11:00 AM
Gore Ranger
Jeff
1989 RRC

It's more shameful to get bent over and pay those prices. You can't even tell that I have a toyota differential and longfield 30 spline shafts in my truck Afterall, you use the Rover axle case, Rover hubs, and rover rims
Old March 30th, 2009, 11:35 AM
evilfij
evilfij

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSBriggs
a Lotus is really a Toyota.
True!
Old March 30th, 2009, 01:00 PM
discotdi
Todd Miller
Land Rover

Buick engine that's funny. As for a RR being a Jag, well they don't really share any substantial parts so odd comparison. The 4.4 Engine is not the same as the Jag, besides it is installed by the factory so ergo it's a LR part. But I don't want to debate whose LR is more LR. This is only my personal feeling and I am sorry if I offended anyone who is driving a LR with Toyota or other "guts". Again we all know what they say about opinions, and it is true. I prefer to keep my LR a LR with maybe some improvements that are made specifically for LR. Like OME suspension or GBR gears and driveshafts. But again different strokes for different folks that is what makes the world interesting.
Old March 30th, 2009, 01:28 PM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

Quote:
Buick engine that's funny. As for a RR being a Jag, well they don't really share any substantial parts so odd comparison. The 4.4 Engine is not the same as the Jag, besides it is installed by the factory so ergo it's a LR part. But I don't want to debate whose LR is more LR. This is only my personal feeling and I am sorry if I offended anyone who is driving a LR with Toyota or other "guts". Again we all know what they say about opinions, and it is true. I prefer to keep my LR a LR with maybe some improvements that are made specifically for LR. Like OME suspension or GBR gears and driveshafts. But again different strokes for different folks that is what makes the world interesting.
I want to ask you a question, because your psychy is interesting to me. Your truck can't go where I wheel. Your axles are too weak, tires too small, and steering too frail. It's not meant to be a dig, just fact.

I like wheeling hard stuff. So am I more or less of a rover owner because I made the changes necessary to wheel where I like to? Would I be more worthy if I sold it and got something else? Or kept it all rover and had to miss all the hard terrain? Am I a sellout for having things that don't break?

BUCK Wild Racing
Team 911

Rover Tracks
PSC
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline
Old March 30th, 2009, 01:37 PM
Neil McCauley
Neil McCauley
94 ST, 97 ST, 93 110

Man I got so screwed buying the 3 gears for my tc. I should of went to Rob or todco suspension. The gears were like $500 a piece so that was $1500 just for the gears not including the rebiuld kit from George at RDS. Oh well at least I still have the original tc. Live n learn.

Robert Deniro
Old March 30th, 2009, 01:51 PM
discotdi
Todd Miller
Land Rover

Worthiness does not come into play. For me if I wanted to wheel where you wheel I would build the best truck out of the most outstanding products available to keep me from breaking down. I might use Atlas products or Toyota or Gm or Rover but when people asked me what kind of truck it is I would say it is my own creation from the best parts available at the time. I started with a Land rover Defender, but now it is really Frankenstein. To me there is no difference in a tow it and trail it, jeep, or Cruiser or Buggy. Once the major parts which make the vehicle one particular brand are gone then it is not that vehicle any more. If you want to call it a LR because it started life that way, then cool. It does not make me more worthy or you less, we just see things differently. I don't wheel my truck where you wheel yours and have no desire to so therefore I don't need all the extra hardware. Personally I would never install a Toy., GM, Merc., etc part in my LR, but that is just me. And again we use are trucks differently.
Old March 30th, 2009, 01:58 PM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

Quote:
Worthiness does not come into play. For me if I wanted to wheel where you wheel I would build the best truck out of the most outstanding products available to keep me from breaking down. I might use Atlas products or Toyota or Gm or Rover but when people asked me what kind of truck it is I would say it is my own creation from the best parts available at the time. I started with a Land rover Defender, but now it is really Frankenstein. To me there is no difference in a tow it and trail it, jeep, or Cruiser or Buggy. Once the major parts which make the vehicle one particular brand are gone then it is not that vehicle any more. If you want to call it a LR because it started life that way, then cool. It does not make me more worthy or you less, we just see things differently. I don't wheel my truck where you wheel yours and have no desire to so therefore I don't need all the extra hardware. Personally I would never install a Toy., GM, Merc., etc part in my LR, but that is just me. And again we use are trucks differently.
That's total garbage. You buy aftermarket parts and call them rover parts. This type of mentality needs to die.

BUCK Wild Racing
Team 911

Rover Tracks
PSC
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline
Old March 30th, 2009, 02:13 PM
evilfij
evilfij

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckon37s
That's total garbage. You buy aftermarket parts and call them rover parts. This type of mentality needs to die.
I am all about "keeping it rover," but even the most die hard rover nut like me admits that sometimes there are better parts out there to fix known weak links.
Old March 30th, 2009, 02:31 PM
discotdi
Todd Miller
Land Rover

whatever, Buck. I am not making this Dweb personal. We have different opinions. lets keep it at that.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat