Gears - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat


Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old March 28th, 2009, 03:02 PM
shawnpalmer's Avatar
shawnpalmer
Status: Offline
Shawn Palmer
1997 SW-Arles Blue
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Lake Lanier, Ga.
Posts: 1,134
Registry
Gears

Where is the best place to get some gears now? I'd like to change the ratio to add a little more power.
__________________
There is a fine line between hobby and mental illness.

97 D90 SW
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #2  
Old March 28th, 2009, 05:54 PM
rover4x4's Avatar
rover4x4
Status: Offline
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: The Old North State
Posts: 7,527
Registry
maybe try Lucky 8. I think hes got a Dalmation thats cool
__________________
Poor gas mileage gets you to the best places on earth
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old March 29th, 2009, 12:40 AM
evilfij's Avatar
evilfij
Status: Offline
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: on the internet
Posts: 14,688
Toyota swap from rovertracks.
__________________
*not legal advice*
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #4  
Old March 29th, 2009, 01:15 PM
Joe P's Avatar
Joe P
Status: Offline
Joe Pfeiffer
Black 97 D-90ST #0605
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Irvine, CA
Posts: 748
The toyota swap will disable the ABS and therefore light up the check engine lamp, which in CA means you can't pass smog. Not sure about other states.
__________________
If the truck makes it - the trail wasn't tough enough.
If the truck doesn't make it - the truck wasn't tough enough.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old March 29th, 2009, 09:12 PM
pushngo
Status: Offline
Randy Williams
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Lancaster PA
Posts: 287
Definately Justin at L8
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old March 29th, 2009, 09:34 PM
Buckon37s's Avatar
Buckon37s
Status: Offline
Buck
Re-Fendered 90
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Temecula, CA, USA
Posts: 3,376
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe P
The toyota swap will disable the ABS and therefore light up the check engine lamp, which in CA means you can't pass smog. Not sure about other states.
Pull the bulb out?
__________________
2009 King of the Hammers

BUCK Wild Racing
Driver: Me
Co-driver: Pat Quirk
Team 911

Rover Tracks
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
PSC
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
DJ Safety
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
West Coast Rovers
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reel Driveline
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Made it further than half of the other guys, but the Hammers won.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old March 29th, 2009, 09:42 PM
shawnpalmer's Avatar
shawnpalmer
Status: Offline
Shawn Palmer
1997 SW-Arles Blue
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Lake Lanier, Ga.
Posts: 1,134
Registry
It probably sets off an ECU code.

Does anyone have any for sale on the board here?
Bill's are $450 each new. I am looking for 4.14 front and rear.

Follow-up Post:

Quote:
Originally Posted by pushngo
Definately Justin at L8

Will try.
__________________
There is a fine line between hobby and mental illness.

97 D90 SW
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old March 29th, 2009, 11:31 PM
discotdi
Status: Offline
Todd Miller
Land Rover
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Fairburn, GA USA
Posts: 1,029
Great Basin is good source. Bill is very knowledgeable and will treat you right. Doing a Toyota swap seems shameful, just buy a Toyota. Besides ask Bill about it he can tell you many reasons not to.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old March 30th, 2009, 12:16 AM
Buckon37s's Avatar
Buckon37s
Status: Offline
Buck
Re-Fendered 90
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Temecula, CA, USA
Posts: 3,376
Quote:
Originally Posted by discotdi
Great Basin is good source. Bill is very knowledgeable and will treat you right. Doing a Toyota swap seems shameful, just buy a Toyota. Besides ask Bill about it he can tell you many reasons not to.
They are much cheaper, much stronger, have more gearing options, and can be found everywhere. There is nothing shameful about it. The "it has to be rover even if it sucks" mentality is wearing on me.
__________________
2009 King of the Hammers

BUCK Wild Racing
Driver: Me
Co-driver: Pat Quirk
Team 911

Rover Tracks
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
PSC
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
DJ Safety
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
West Coast Rovers
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reel Driveline
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Made it further than half of the other guys, but the Hammers won.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old March 30th, 2009, 10:28 AM
discotdi
Status: Offline
Todd Miller
Land Rover
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Fairburn, GA USA
Posts: 1,029
Well if you take a perfectly good LR and add a non LR engine, non LR gears, tranny, t-box, etc and leave it with just the LR shape and a LR badge then it ain't a LR. But whatever, to each his own. I just prefer to keep my LR a LR and wheel it and drive to work everyday and take the good with the bad. I own Land Rovers because I think they are the best 4x4 by far right out of the box. You can take a Suzuki Samari and "build it" into a great off road machine, but then you can't really claim it's a Suzuki anymore, same with a Land Rover.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old March 30th, 2009, 10:49 AM
Buckon37s's Avatar
Buckon37s
Status: Offline
Buck
Re-Fendered 90
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Temecula, CA, USA
Posts: 3,376
Quote:
Originally Posted by discotdi
Well if you take a perfectly good LR and add a non LR engine, non LR gears, tranny, t-box, etc and leave it with just the LR shape and a LR badge then it ain't a LR. But whatever, to each his own. I just prefer to keep my LR a LR and wheel it and drive to work everyday and take the good with the bad. I own Land Rovers because I think they are the best 4x4 by far right out of the box. You can take a Suzuki Samari and "build it" into a great off road machine, but then you can't really claim it's a Suzuki anymore, same with a Land Rover.
NAS Defenders come with buick engines. Is Land Rover not rover enough for you? Give me a break. GBR isn't rover either so if you have his gears you better pull those out right away.

If something better is available, for less, who cares.
__________________
2009 King of the Hammers

BUCK Wild Racing
Driver: Me
Co-driver: Pat Quirk
Team 911

Rover Tracks
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
PSC
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
DJ Safety
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
West Coast Rovers
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reel Driveline
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Made it further than half of the other guys, but the Hammers won.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old March 30th, 2009, 11:00 AM
Gore Ranger's Avatar
Gore Ranger
Status: Offline
Jeff
1989 RRC
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Denver, CO
Posts: 536
It's more shameful to get bent over and pay those prices. You can't even tell that I have a toyota differential and longfield 30 spline shafts in my truck Afterall, you use the Rover axle case, Rover hubs, and rover rims
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old March 30th, 2009, 11:35 AM
evilfij's Avatar
evilfij
Status: Offline
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: on the internet
Posts: 14,688
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSBriggs
a Lotus is really a Toyota.
True!
__________________
*not legal advice*
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old March 30th, 2009, 01:00 PM
discotdi
Status: Offline
Todd Miller
Land Rover
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Fairburn, GA USA
Posts: 1,029
Buick engine that's funny. As for a RR being a Jag, well they don't really share any substantial parts so odd comparison. The 4.4 Engine is not the same as the Jag, besides it is installed by the factory so ergo it's a LR part. But I don't want to debate whose LR is more LR. This is only my personal feeling and I am sorry if I offended anyone who is driving a LR with Toyota or other "guts". Again we all know what they say about opinions, and it is true. I prefer to keep my LR a LR with maybe some improvements that are made specifically for LR. Like OME suspension or GBR gears and driveshafts. But again different strokes for different folks that is what makes the world interesting.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old March 30th, 2009, 01:28 PM
Buckon37s's Avatar
Buckon37s
Status: Offline
Buck
Re-Fendered 90
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Temecula, CA, USA
Posts: 3,376
Quote:
Originally Posted by discotdi
Buick engine that's funny. As for a RR being a Jag, well they don't really share any substantial parts so odd comparison. The 4.4 Engine is not the same as the Jag, besides it is installed by the factory so ergo it's a LR part. But I don't want to debate whose LR is more LR. This is only my personal feeling and I am sorry if I offended anyone who is driving a LR with Toyota or other "guts". Again we all know what they say about opinions, and it is true. I prefer to keep my LR a LR with maybe some improvements that are made specifically for LR. Like OME suspension or GBR gears and driveshafts. But again different strokes for different folks that is what makes the world interesting.
I want to ask you a question, because your psychy is interesting to me. Your truck can't go where I wheel. Your axles are too weak, tires too small, and steering too frail. It's not meant to be a dig, just fact.

I like wheeling hard stuff. So am I more or less of a rover owner because I made the changes necessary to wheel where I like to? Would I be more worthy if I sold it and got something else? Or kept it all rover and had to miss all the hard terrain? Am I a sellout for having things that don't break?
__________________
2009 King of the Hammers

BUCK Wild Racing
Driver: Me
Co-driver: Pat Quirk
Team 911

Rover Tracks
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
PSC
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
DJ Safety
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
West Coast Rovers
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reel Driveline
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Made it further than half of the other guys, but the Hammers won.
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old March 30th, 2009, 01:37 PM
Neil McCauley's Avatar
Neil McCauley
Status: Offline
Neil McCauley
94 ST, 97 ST, 93 110
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 2,366
Man I got so screwed buying the 3 gears for my tc. I should of went to Rob or todco suspension. The gears were like $500 a piece so that was $1500 just for the gears not including the rebiuld kit from George at RDS. Oh well at least I still have the original tc. Live n learn.
__________________
A guy told me one time "don't let yourself get attached to anything you are not willing to walk out on in 30 seconds flat if you feel the heat from around the corner"

Robert Deniro
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old March 30th, 2009, 01:51 PM
discotdi
Status: Offline
Todd Miller
Land Rover
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Fairburn, GA USA
Posts: 1,029
Worthiness does not come into play. For me if I wanted to wheel where you wheel I would build the best truck out of the most outstanding products available to keep me from breaking down. I might use Atlas products or Toyota or Gm or Rover but when people asked me what kind of truck it is I would say it is my own creation from the best parts available at the time. I started with a Land rover Defender, but now it is really Frankenstein. To me there is no difference in a tow it and trail it, jeep, or Cruiser or Buggy. Once the major parts which make the vehicle one particular brand are gone then it is not that vehicle any more. If you want to call it a LR because it started life that way, then cool. It does not make me more worthy or you less, we just see things differently. I don't wheel my truck where you wheel yours and have no desire to so therefore I don't need all the extra hardware. Personally I would never install a Toy., GM, Merc., etc part in my LR, but that is just me. And again we use are trucks differently.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old March 30th, 2009, 01:58 PM
Buckon37s's Avatar
Buckon37s
Status: Offline
Buck
Re-Fendered 90
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Temecula, CA, USA
Posts: 3,376
Quote:
Originally Posted by discotdi
Worthiness does not come into play. For me if I wanted to wheel where you wheel I would build the best truck out of the most outstanding products available to keep me from breaking down. I might use Atlas products or Toyota or Gm or Rover but when people asked me what kind of truck it is I would say it is my own creation from the best parts available at the time. I started with a Land rover Defender, but now it is really Frankenstein. To me there is no difference in a tow it and trail it, jeep, or Cruiser or Buggy. Once the major parts which make the vehicle one particular brand are gone then it is not that vehicle any more. If you want to call it a LR because it started life that way, then cool. It does not make me more worthy or you less, we just see things differently. I don't wheel my truck where you wheel yours and have no desire to so therefore I don't need all the extra hardware. Personally I would never install a Toy., GM, Merc., etc part in my LR, but that is just me. And again we use are trucks differently.
That's total garbage. You buy aftermarket parts and call them rover parts. This type of mentality needs to die.
__________________
2009 King of the Hammers

BUCK Wild Racing
Driver: Me
Co-driver: Pat Quirk
Team 911

Rover Tracks
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
PSC
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
DJ Safety
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
West Coast Rovers
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reel Driveline
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Made it further than half of the other guys, but the Hammers won.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old March 30th, 2009, 02:13 PM
evilfij's Avatar
evilfij
Status: Offline
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: on the internet
Posts: 14,688
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckon37s
That's total garbage. You buy aftermarket parts and call them rover parts. This type of mentality needs to die.
I am all about "keeping it rover," but even the most die hard rover nut like me admits that sometimes there are better parts out there to fix known weak links.
__________________
*not legal advice*
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old March 30th, 2009, 02:31 PM
discotdi
Status: Offline
Todd Miller
Land Rover
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Fairburn, GA USA
Posts: 1,029
whatever, Buck. I am not making this Dweb personal. We have different opinions. lets keep it at that.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
New Gears and WOW, 10 mph? mdmccallum Defender Technical Discussions 26 December 1st, 2011 03:50 PM
Gears vs Tires jimbemotumbo Defender Technical Discussions 21 April 26th, 2005 09:23 AM
Name for gears. ripp2002 Defender Technical Discussions 3 February 8th, 2005 12:05 PM
4.11 gears snuffer Defender Technical Discussions 13 June 5th, 2004 10:31 AM
4.10 gears and Detroit locker dave_lucas For Sale - Parts 3 December 1st, 2003 03:03 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:59 PM.


Copyright