Old April 22nd, 2008, 03:43 PM
NashvilleRover
Dendy Jarrett
2009 LR3- Well Built

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ Menasco
LOL!

You slay me, Phil.

Where in NC do you live? I'm moving to Columbia, SC soon.

I grew up in Columbia (just outside really). You will be in for a severe weather shock from Portland to Columbia.
There is a temperature belt that runs from Augusta, GA through Columbia up to Florence. Hottest place on Earth!

But the N.C. Mountains and a cool escape aren't far.

My D gets about 16, but my commute is only three blocks.

the other DJ
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 22nd, 2008, 10:27 PM
matthewwcarey
Matthew Carey
95 D90 SW349

Mpg

I can't believe these numbers, I'm only getting 9mpg around town. Should I be worried?????
Old April 23rd, 2008, 03:21 AM
Hans
Hans Haase
The D-90.com Lab Rat

Quote:
Originally Posted by matthewwcarey
I can't believe these numbers, I'm only getting 9mpg around town. Should I be worried?????
If it's highway mileage, definitely. Kicking around town with traffic lights every 1/8 mile, don't worry too much. Just don't stomp the skinny pedal too much.

-Hans

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
My 100k stopped odometer fix

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Brace for impact, I'm in a "modifying mood". Massive thread count inbound.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 23rd, 2008, 08:03 AM
matthewwcarey
Matthew Carey
95 D90 SW349

1995 Land Rover Defender 90

1995 Land Rover Defender 90
Find a Car
Fuel Economy
Fuel Type
Premium
MPG (city)
MPG (highway)
MPG (combined)
Fuel Economics
Cost to Drive 25 Miles
$6.94
Fuel to Drive 25 Miles
1.92 gal
Annual Fuel Cost
$4164
* Based on 15000 annual miles and a fuel price of 3.61 per gallon.
Fill-up cost and the distance you can travel on a tank are calculated based on the combined MPG and the assumption that you will re-fuel when your tank is 10% full. Annual Greenhouse Gas Emissions*
Worst
Best
14.10 tons
Safety
National Highway Traffic Safety Administration
NA
EPA Air Pollution Rating
NA
Size Class
Special Purpose Vehicles
Engine Size (liters)
Cylinders
Transmission
Manual 5-spd
Drive
4-Wheel or All-Wheel Drive
Gas Guzzler
no
Turbocharger
no
Supercharger
no
Passenger Volume
NA
Luggage Volume
NA
Additional Engine Characteristics
(FFS)
Annual Fuel Costs and Greenhouse Gas Estimates are based on 45% highway driving, 55% city driving, and 15000 annual miles.

Assumed Fuel Prices:
  • Regular: 3.39
  • Premium: 3.61
  • Diesel: 4.06
  • CNG: 1.65
  • Electricity: 0.08 per kilowatt hour
  • E85: 2.40
  • LPG: 2.10
GHG-Greenhouse gas emissions expressed in CO2 equivalents. Estimates include the full fuel cycle and exclude vehicle manufacture. (U.S. Department of Energy, GREET Model, Argonne National Laboratory)

Color vehicle photographs have been provided by the vehicle manufacturers or their representative and are used with their permission. Black and white photographs are as published in Ward's Automotive Yearbook(R), 1985-1999 and are used by permission of Ward's Communications, a world leader in automotive information.
Old May 6th, 2008, 10:23 PM
snuffer
Randy Black
'95 D 90 SW

Quote:
Originally Posted by matthewwcarey

Ha, I feel ya.

I can put my Defender on a well made (heavy) 16' utility trailer and pull it with an extended cab long wheelbase Dodge diesel, usually full of camping gear or tools, and still get 1mpg better mileage than if I were driving the Defender with no load.
Old May 7th, 2008, 09:21 AM
landrovered
S. Smith
72 Series III 109 Diesel

Ah the sad juxtaposition of rover ownership, I just tend to load my vehicle down with people and go for the passenger miles per gallon metric, it makes me feel better and if you can load 10-12 people in your vehicle you can get better passenger miles per gallon than a motorcycle.
Old May 7th, 2008, 11:10 PM
snuffer
Randy Black
'95 D 90 SW

Quote:
Originally Posted by landrovered
Ah the sad juxtaposition of rover ownership, I just tend to load my vehicle down with people and go for the passenger miles per gallon metric, it makes me feel better and if you can load 10-12 people in your vehicle you can get better passenger miles per gallon than a motorcycle.

Any chance you work for an airline? That's how they think.
Old May 8th, 2008, 09:46 AM
landrovered
S. Smith
72 Series III 109 Diesel

No airline connection, just the smell of desperate justification for getting 13 mpg in the face of $125 per barrel oil with no relief in sight.
Old May 8th, 2008, 09:52 AM
Davis
Chris Davis
94 NAS D90 6.2LS

I just did 1900 mile round trip to Texas in a Prius to pick up my puppy--I averaged 47.2mpg. Now, I love my D90 and I am keeping it, but I will probably sell my Disco and Rangie and get a hybrid of some sort. It is a cool infusing thing to be driving the 90--I love it. It is also a really cool thing if you drive a lot to get 50MPG (or even more!). I drove from Amarillo to Boulder on 1 tank of gas--when I filled up, it was not even 9 gallons. Now that is cool.
Old May 12th, 2008, 08:44 PM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
I like the Hybrids more and more. I wish the diesel cars were cheaper initially, I dont mind the 4 whatever a gallon for diesel but the 40+ to the gallon on the jettas and golfs is awesome. Looking to see what the new VW diesels will be like. May have to get rid of the rover because of fuel prices.
Old May 12th, 2008, 10:18 PM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davis
I just did 1900 mile round trip to Texas in a Prius to pick up my puppy--I averaged 47.2mpg. Now, I love my D90 and I am keeping it, but I will probably sell my Disco and Rangie and get a hybrid of some sort. It is a cool infusing thing to be driving the 90--I love it. It is also a really cool thing if you drive a lot to get 50MPG (or even more!). I drove from Amarillo to Boulder on 1 tank of gas--when I filled up, it was not even 9 gallons. Now that is cool.
I strongly suggest doing more research on Hybrids like Cost of Ownership, buy price, ext. I just crunched all the numbers as I was about to trade in my Nissan Altima (27.9 mpg) on a Hybrid (42 posted, but not really) mpg.

Bottom line, if you want to save money, it's a stupid buy. Even at 45,000 miles a year it would take me 4 years to come out on top. And thats if the batteries don't need replacing, which the dealers say will in 100 to 150,000 miles.

If you want to do it for the environment, then it's still a stupid buy. Manufacturing, and disposing of those batteries is far more damaging to the Earth than driving an effecient gasser.

But, if your doing it to feel really, really good about yourself and pic up on chicks at modern art exibits, then its a smart buy.

BUCK Wild Racing
Driver: Me
Co-driver: Pat Quirk
Team 911

Rover Tracks
PSC
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline
Made it further than half of the other guys, but the Hammers won.
Old May 13th, 2008, 12:45 AM
DJ Menasco
DJ Menasco
#500/500

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckon37s
If you want to do it for the environment, then it's still a stupid buy. Manufacturing, and disposing of those batteries is far more damaging to the Earth than driving an efficient gasser.
Interesting, but were did you get this information?
Old May 13th, 2008, 04:24 AM
D90DRC
D Cantrell
1997 D90SW

OK we drive a vehicle that has the areodynamics of a brick with an undetermined ammount of rolling resistance, a outdated and less than 50% efficent pushrod V8 and your worried about gas milage... Is it me or is it really stupid to be concerned about milage. Get a Honda if your concerned...
Old May 13th, 2008, 06:17 AM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
Wasnt really concerned but as fuel is heading towards 4 a gallon its becoming more of a consideration. I am well aware of the enviromental impact of the hybrids. The clean diesels are the best option.
Old May 13th, 2008, 09:09 AM
Cirbo
Jim C.
None

Bought a KTM to kick around town and chase parts (among other things). It only gets ~50 mpg but you've got to love all the rattling and shaking from the knobbies... Kind of like a Rover.
Old May 13th, 2008, 09:39 AM
Flagg
Flagg
1995 Defender 90 NAS

I think 75% of people could live quite happilly with a 2005-2006 VW Golf 4-door Diesel. It is extremely versital with huge storage (with the seats down) and room for 4. I drove this car and was quite impressed with the performance of the 50 MPG Hwy/ 47 MPG City engine. It is really very impressive. Plus the 14.5 gallon tank gives you a 6-700 mile cruising range.

VW is now advertising a Passat bluemotion in Europe that gets 53 mpg and 1000 miles between fill ups. Incredible. Wow..........wife and I have a passat and it is a great car. But we wish we had this one!

These Diesels are my bench mark for a new daily driver. I think it is a crime that the US did not allow the 2007 in to the country. I hope VW brings in the 2009 Passat and Rabbit. Right now they do bring in the Jetta - so there is hope.

I am still not sold on Hybrids.

--------------------------------

As far as the Defender goes - it is a nitch car. It is a great car to own. It was my daily driver for 7 years. But now - it makes sense to keep the miles off it, and the fuel expense in another car. I think it is silly to worry about mpg on this brick - unless you go Diesel engine swap, it will never be great.........

Flagg
Old May 13th, 2008, 09:50 AM
Cirbo
Jim C.
None

LOL My defender is currently getting 24 mpg around town, but that's no prize at today's fuel prices ($4.21/gal)
It's kind of bad when you consider that the Cummins powered pickup sitting in the driveway that weighs in a few pounds south of 3.5 tons averages 19mpg.
Old May 13th, 2008, 10:28 AM
landrovered
S. Smith
72 Series III 109 Diesel

I would keep a defender around even if gas reaches $10 a gallon. A second mode of transport may become a necessity if that is the case though.
Old May 16th, 2008, 07:01 AM
Gkase
George Kase
1983 110 200Tdi CSW LHD

I bought a Honda Insight Hybrid last year on a lark from ebay...it needed brakes and second gear synchro and it had 160k on the odometer...I can get 65mpg when I am not in rush hour traffic but can only do about 53mpg in stop and go...I was going to get rid of it but now am using it to get to work...glad I kept it. One thing I've learned from driving it is pump up your tires to 40 pounds for highway driving, coast in neutral as often as possible and try to avoid having to stop at upcoming lights by timining intersections...its become a hobby (google hypermiling)...my best mileage with the Rover is 29mpg in summer w/o AC...am trying to figure out a "hybrid" for our trucks that would be an easy bolt on...will post my findings...
Old May 16th, 2008, 10:45 AM
sflash868
Stephan Laputka
1995 D-90 SW

If I stay around 55 mph and try to be easy on it. I can get around 19-20 with a 4.6 and a the hardtop. After that though... forget it. On the way to Moab, there is some stretch of 70 where i have to carry gas. If I slow down, a tractor trailer is gonna make my d-90 custom.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Tags
gas