Gas Boycott, interesting read - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old April 2nd, 2005, 09:39 AM
draaronr
Here
LR3

Gas Boycott, interesting read

I know,I know, I have seen this stuff before but now that premium is $2.35 a gallon it starts to mean something. So here it is again.

>WHERE TO BUY YOUR GAS,
>
>THIS IS VERY IMPORTANT TO KNOW.
>
>READ ON--

>>Gas rationing in the 80's worked even though we grumbled about it.
>
>
>It might even be good for us!
>
>The Saudis are boycotting American goods.
>
>
>We should return the favor.
>
>
>An interesting thought it to boycott their GAS.
>
>
>Every time you fill up the car, you can avoid putting more money into the
>coffers of Saudi Arabia. Just buy from gas companies that don't import
>their oil from the Saudis.
>
>
>
>Nothing is more frustrating than the feeling that every time I fill-up the
>tank, I am sending my money to people who are trying to kill me, my family,
>and my friends.
>
>
>
>
>I thought it might be interesting for you to know which oil companies are
>the best to buy gas from and which major companies import Middle Eastern
>oil :
>
>
>
>Shell............................. 205,742,000 barrels
>Chevron/Texaco......... 144,332,000 barrels
>Exxon /Mobil............... 130,082,000 barrels
>Marathon/Speedway... 117,740,000 barrels
>Amoco............................62,231,000 barrels
>
>
>If you do the math at $30/barrel, these imports amount to over $18 BILLION!
>
>
>
>Here are some large companies that do not import Middle Eastern oil:
>
>
>
>Citgo.....................0 barrels
>Sunoco...................0 barrels
>Conoco...................0 barrels
>Sinclair.....................0 barrels
>BP/Phillips..............0 barrels
>Hess.......................0 barrels ARC0.0
>barrels
>
>
>All of this information is available from the Department of Energy and each
>is required to state where they get their oil and how much they are
>importing.
>
>
>But to have an impact, we need to reach literally millions of gas buyers.
>
>
>It's really simple to do.
>
>
>Now, don't wimp out at this point.... keep reading and I'll explain how
>simple it is to reach millions of people!!
>
>I'm sending this note to about thirty people.
>
>
>If each of you send it to at least ten more (30 x 10 = 300)... and those
>300 send it to at least ten more (300 x 10 = 3,000) ... and so on, by the
>time the message reaches the sixth genera! tion of people, we will have
>reached over THREE MILLION consumers!
>
>
>If those three million get excited and pass this on to ten friends each,
>then 30 million people will have been contacted!
>
>
>If it goes one level further, you guessed it ..... THREE HUNDRED MILLION
>PEOPLE!!!
>
>>
>Again, all you have to do is send this to 10 people.
>
>
>How long would all that take?
>
>
>If each of us sends this e-mail out to ten more people within one day, all
>300 MILLION people could conceivably be contacted within the next eight
>days!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 2nd, 2005, 11:48 AM
Bowtracer
Peter Sherman
NAS 110

I belive this data is a little old! BP is Amoco. Now what! It is a great idea I am a little skeptical though. This info could be backwards & started by the opec dudes!
Old April 2nd, 2005, 12:14 PM
draaronr
Here
LR3

I wasn't aware that British Patroleum was owned or owned Amoco, and if they do it certainly doesnt mean they purchase from the same source. Take a company like Quiktrip who buys from whoever is the cheapest at the time, they are more of a commodity broker of fuel. If someone wants to do a little research that would be great, I was just passing on the idea. I saw an article in Rolling Stone talking about the peak oil uptake in the next few years. I just think as the # 1 purchaser of oil in the world, it would be nice to stick it up some sheiks ass.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 2nd, 2005, 01:12 PM
dmarchand
David Marchand
'97 D90 SW Arles

Registry
This one was apparently around in 2001 and 2002. Either way, my truck runs on biodiesel... (and can be converted to veggie...

Urban Legends

Borrowed from the site:
UPDATE: Although latter-day versions of this email cite a Saudi boycott of U.S. goods instead of terrorism as the main justification for boycotting oil companies importing Saudi/Middle Eastern oil, the main arguments against its accuracy, propriety and effectiveness still hold.

It's perfectly understandable that people are willing to jump at any apparent opportunity to take action against such a diffuse and intangible menace as terrorism, but this is not a promising avenue. Here's why:

1. It's a chain letter

Chain letters are unreliable as sources of information (see below) and ineffective as instruments of change. Despite their often vast circulation, chain emails are simply ignored and/or deleted by most users and mistrusted even by many of those who actually bother to read them.

Sure, there are plenty of credulous folks quick to click their Forward buttons every time an email touting a worthy-sounding cause lands in their inbox, but that doesn't mean they'll follow through with action and action is of the essence, if we're to take these messages at their word.

Previous experience (e.g., with the infamous "Gas Out" chain letters of 1999, 2000 and 2001) has shown that even when chain letters circulate globally and win international media attention, their real-world effectiveness is negligible.

2. It's off-target

The boycott is based on the false assumption that all oil-producing countries in the Middle East fund or otherwise support terrorism. It would punish enemies and allies alike.

3. The facts and figures are simply wrong

According to DOE statistics (and taking mergers/acquisitions into account), only three of the companies lauded in these messages for allegedly not importing Middle Eastern oil actually belong on that list: Sinclair, Sunoco and Hess. All the other companies mentioned do, in fact, use varying amounts of petroleum imported from the Gulf region.

Therefore, to completely avoid buying gasoline made from Arab oil, a diligent consumer must refuel only at Sinclair, Sunoco and Hess service stations. Now, I don't know how readily available these brands are in your part of the country, but where I live I'd have to use up several tanks of "terrorism supporting" fuel just to find one of those stations. And that seems a wee bit counterproductive.

The bottom line is that this chain letter is so misinformed and misguided that it defeats its own purpose. To succeed, a boycott must be well thought out, organized and based on sound information. This effort fails on every count.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old April 2nd, 2005, 02:37 PM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

"now that premium is $2.35 a gallon"

Come over to SoCal, here REGULAR is $2.59. Anyway, none of this wil ever work untill we ease the dependency on Foriegn Oil, ie, drill in Alaska, or buy mini's. Too bad the libs care more about Karabu....

edit:

"The boycott is based on the false assumption that all oil-producing countries in the Middle East fund or otherwise support terrorism. It would punish enemies and allies alike."

So this assumption is false? You could make a strong argument the OPEC IS a terrorist organization. I can't think of a single middle eastern country that produces oil and does not directly or indirectly fund and support terrorism. Maybe Turkey is the exception but almost nothing comes out of there. Maybe, possibly, Kuwait, but that is a stretch too.

BUCK Wild Racing
Driver: Me
Co-driver: Pat Quirk
Team 911

Rover Tracks
PSC
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline
Made it further than half of the other guys, but the Hammers won.
Old April 4th, 2005, 01:48 PM
Ragland
Robert Ragland
1994 Defender 90

Taglines on e-mails suggesting they should be forwarded to 10 people always make them seem suspect. How's this, "Conoco will be monitoring and counting all e-mails sent, and the person who forwards this the most will be awarded free gas for year."
Old April 7th, 2005, 11:35 AM
nickt
Nick Taylor
1998 Ex-Camel Trophy 110

Registry
I can always send you some from the UK

http://www.theaa.com/allaboutcars/fuel/

GBP 0.805 per litre
= GBP 3.059 per US Gallon
= USD 5.720 per US Gallon

I always love a whinge about gas prices!

Thank god I'm in London and don't have to drive much... And my Vectra does 55 mpg!

Nick.
Old April 7th, 2005, 11:43 AM
Campbell
Rich Campbell
06 LR3 01DII D90s sold

Registry
So I guess I will start using Sunoco.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Tags
gas