Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old January 17th, 2013, 02:43 PM
Craigd
Craig Dickson
1995 D90 Red Soft top

Registry
Garage Paint

I am finally getting the drywall finished and will be ready to paint the interior walls and ceiling in the spring. I have seen lots of pictures of cool garages but not much on paint colors.

It is a three car with two windows and I am thinking ultra bright white paint. I want it to be bright in there. I was thinking about a satin finish but then thought maybe semi-gloss.

Is semi-gloss to shiny for a garage? Who even uses semi-gloss paint??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 17th, 2013, 02:51 PM
jefhuf
Jeff Huff
'94 D90 ST #655
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Do you do any work in your garage or just park cars? Semi-gloss is typically used in kitchens and bathrooms because the sheen allows for easier cleaning...which could also hold true for your garage. however, if you do any type metal work such as cutting, grinding or welding, you may want to rethink.

I opted for just some plain flat white paint in my garage because I covered half of it with shelves, cabinets and tools and have ruined the balance with sparks!
Old January 17th, 2013, 03:16 PM
nathanwind
Jason Lavender
88-90-127-LR3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by jefhuf View Post
and have ruined the balance with sparks!
and blood!
'94 90 NAS #324
'06 LR3 HSE

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

(10% discount for DSource members, use coupon code "D90")

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 17th, 2013, 04:13 PM
jac04
Jeff
Currently Roverless

I did my 6-car garage with semi-gloss bright white. Not too shiny, great for lighting & easy to clean. I actually use an old California Car Duster to occasionally clean the walls.

Make sure to paint your ceilings too - it really helps with keeping things bright. I did my walls but never got around to doing all of the ceiling.
Old January 17th, 2013, 06:49 PM
bossman429
Adrian
1988 90

Registry
I used an exterior paint. I think it was semi gloss. Light blue in color. One thing about garage walls is they get dirty and dinged up if you do a lot of work in it like me. The gloss is easy to clean but also really shows imperfections in the drywall. Being I sheet rocked my garage that's who knows how old. The drywall is far from perfect and the glossy paint doesn't do much help hiding it

It's a personall preferences if you ask me on color. Are you painting the floors? That's a whole nother topic but a nice garage floor is really what makes garages pop in my opinion.
Old January 17th, 2013, 07:14 PM
Jackie Treehorn
A
1985 (legitimately)

Registry
I have done this no less than three times, each time was with Home-D or Lowes 2-part epoxy. They simply don't hold a candle to the professional industrial coatings.
If I were doing a new garage or workspace, I'd see what the industrial garages are using and see if you can get your hands on that stuff. They make some pretty slick stuff in different colors.
Glossy is better IMO, I skipped the "texture" chips because I was more co creamed with easy cleanup, not slipping.
Bottom line is just bypass the part where you go to a big box store and buy the 2nd rate stuff and get what the pros use.

Edit: sorry, I thought you were talking about floor paint. Use whatever for walls. I use Benjamin Moore for all interior/exterior projects FWIW
Old January 17th, 2013, 07:16 PM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
A lot of information and opinions on the subject @ Garagejournal.com

Since you are asking about walls, I read up on it there and ended up using a semi gloss interior latex from Lowes that comes in 5 gal buckets for around $60. My space is a cinderblock 1950 dairy barn so the surfaces themselves kill a lot of light reflection. I ran out of paint and the next bucket will be gloss. The semigloss had no sheen @ all.

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Vehicle Shipment and Importation Service
Restoration & Modification work

Old January 17th, 2013, 07:23 PM
Jackie Treehorn
A
1985 (legitimately)

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by 130Tdi View Post
A lot of information and opinions on the subject @ Garagejournal.com

I read up on it there and ended up using a semi gloss interior latex from Lowes that comes in 5 gal buckets for around $60. My space is a cinderblock 1950 dairy barn so the surfaces themselves kill a lot of light reflection. I ran out of paint and the next bucket will be gloss.
Cinder block is thirsty! Concrete less so, but still very absorbent.
Most garages have 2 layers of 1/2" Sheetrock to meet code (if its attached to living space) which will still take a minimum of 2-coats of paint if its never been painted.

Again, glossy and shiny is better. No worries about glare, more emphasis on easy wiping/cleanup.

Nothing beats hospital-room white IMO! Bright, and reflective
Old January 17th, 2013, 08:25 PM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackie Treehorn View Post
Cinder block is thirsty! Concrete less so, but still very absorbent.
Most garages have 2 layers of 1/2" Sheetrock to meet code (if its attached to living space) which will still take a minimum of 2-coats of paint if its never been painted.

Again, glossy and shiny is better. No worries about glare, more emphasis on easy wiping/cleanup.

Nothing beats hospital-room white IMO! Bright, and reflective
Part of being a grade A dairy back then required that walls be painted. So this is god knows what # coats of paint over the past 60 years. Still drinks it up.

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Vehicle Shipment and Importation Service
Restoration & Modification work

Old January 17th, 2013, 09:40 PM
dave_lucas
Dave Lucas
None

In the process of painting and organizing mine. For paint I went with 2 tone with a darker color on the bottom to hide dirt / scuffs and bright white on everything else.

Semi gloss exterior paint

Ignore the huge mess
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2455527471.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	408.6 KB
ID:	64663   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-4011176556.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	438.8 KB
ID:	64664  

Old January 17th, 2013, 10:35 PM
sonoronos
Ed
None

Registry
Sherwin Williams has a product called Corobond HS which is designed for adhesion to concrete. It is pretty tough stuff.
Old January 17th, 2013, 10:47 PM
Craigd
Craig Dickson
1995 D90 Red Soft top

Registry
I already have an epoxy coating on the floor in kind of an off white color. i was looking at the exterior behr paint in semi- gloss. It is $125 for a 5 gallon bucket. I was surprised at the cost. But i will not be doing any welding so limited damage to walls will occur.
Old January 18th, 2013, 08:46 AM
michael67
Michael White
110 Tdi

Quote:
Originally Posted by bossman429 View Post
I used an exterior paint. I think it was semi gloss. Light blue in color. One thing about garage walls is they get dirty and dinged up if you do a lot of work in it like me. The gloss is easy to clean but also really shows imperfections in the drywall. Being I sheet rocked my garage that's who knows how old. The drywall is far from perfect and the glossy paint doesn't do much help hiding it

It's a personall preferences if you ask me on color. Are you painting the floors? That's a whole nother topic but a nice garage floor is really what makes garages pop in my opinion.
Blue is good for anything open to the outdoors. Mud daubers won't build their nests on blue.
Old January 18th, 2013, 08:56 AM
Bill Larson
Bill Larson
97 D90 SW

Quote:
Originally Posted by michael67 View Post
Blue is good for anything open to the outdoors. Mud daubers won't build their nests on blue.
Seriously! Did not know that. Yeah you can truley appreciate that information living in Texas. It's a real problem for anything semi-stationary out of doors. I cant leave my trailer out side more than three days in the driveway. I'd get a letter from the HOA anyway...
Old January 18th, 2013, 09:53 AM
michael67
Michael White
110 Tdi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Larson View Post
Seriously! Did not know that. Yeah you can truley appreciate that information living in Texas. It's a real problem for anything semi-stationary out of doors. I cant leave my trailer out side more than three days in the driveway. I'd get a letter from the HOA anyway...
When I was house shopping last year one owner claimed that - it was the first I'd heard of it. I had a blue house in Ft. Worth and, thinking back, I never had a problem with mud daubers there. I also found some links:

http://www.dirtdoctor.com/Blue-Paint...ugs_vq2271.htm
http://www.searshomes.org/index.php/...d-mud-daubers/

They seem to like red, though. My workshop has red metal support beams and they're all over those.
Old January 18th, 2013, 12:32 PM
JohnsD90
John
74 SIII 88", 88 110, 91 110

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craigd View Post
I already have an epoxy coating on the floor in kind of an off white color. i was looking at the exterior behr paint in semi- gloss. It is $125 for a 5 gallon bucket. I was surprised at the cost. But i will not be doing any welding so limited damage to walls will occur.
If its a nice garage I would have it done with the nice textured floor professionally done, and definetley not in off white, get gray or red, they don't look as bad stained in oil.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Tags
paint