Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old June 26th, 2013, 04:00 PM
1of40
1of40
NAS 97SW & 83 One Ten Tdi

Registry
Garage Floor Paint/Covering

Anyone have good or bad experience with this product and care to share?

http://www.homedepot.com/p/BEHR-Prem...5036/203938293
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 26th, 2013, 04:35 PM
Nomar
Jeff B
RR HNTR,RR LWB Tdi

Registry
Can't remember who it was, but someone was saying to skip the cute floor speckles(if it comes with them) in the garage floor coatings because finding small screws/parts is impossible!

Real Rovers have round headlights!
Rent my
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
!
Just a few miles from 4x4 access!
Old June 26th, 2013, 05:37 PM
rovertek
chris
D130, 2001+99 p38

i have http://www.epoxy-coat.com great floor if your not going to weld or grind or plasma cut anything .....
Advertisement

Old June 26th, 2013, 07:03 PM
Wolf Fabrication
Sterling Archer
'08 D3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
If you plan on doing anything in your garage besides parking, skip any type of epoxy. You'll later regret painting it. You are better off with a clear sealer.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Semper Fi!
Old June 26th, 2013, 07:55 PM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
'94 D90 ST, '63 SeriesIIA
Site Team

Registry
We had a thread on this once. I think the jury was out, and no real consensus other than the stuff that lasts is super expensive
Old June 26th, 2013, 08:34 PM
lrnasd90
J. Landers
1983 110 LHD Galvanized Everything

This is the stuff we put on our entire warehouse floor.

http://www.itwast.com/exterior_non-s...Anchor-MS-400G

Best thing we ever did. You can drag anything on it, doesn't scratch off. You can clean anything up from it...oil, diesel, brake fluid, gas, acid...nothing that has been on the floor has had any effect on its adhesion. A puddle of brake fluid sat on it for a few days and yellowed the floor, but even that didn't make it peel or release in anyway from the floor. The only thing that has messed it up is cutting a piece of metal directly on the floor with torch. We actually put down two coats. First coat we thinned out so it would soak into the floor, next coat was used straight. I was never so tired of painting, we hand rolled the entire floor about 7000 square foot worth.

I really like being able to get a mop out and clean the floor back up after working on my truck and not have any stains on the floor. Plus we painted it white so it really helps you see under sides of vehicles great because the light reflects off of it so well.

But it was expensive. At the time it was about $100 a gallon (11 years ago). And it was two part so it would set you back couple of bucks.
93 NAS D110 #137 Sold
1-94 NAS D90 #702 Sold
2-94 NAS D90s (#1112, #1586)tdi Sold
95 NAS D90 #262 Sold
1-97 NAS D90 #642 Sold
2-97 NAS D90s LE (#82,#222)Sold
110 Crew Cab Td5 Sold
Hybrid Series 3 Sold
3-D1 Sold
1- D2 Sold
4- RRC Sold
83 110 5dr Diesel (current)
97 Disco XD tdi (current)
I can quit at any time I am not an addict!!
Old June 26th, 2013, 10:48 PM
whitelandy33
Pecos
hyundai

Anything from home depot is for looks. They will peel up or turn yellow from hot wheels.

I have used a two gallon mix from sherwin williams several times. Marine grade. Forgot the name but I always tell them marine grade and I get the right stuff. I have dragged tons of motorcycles on center stands and holds up the best. No peel and no yellow. I did add some kind of white sand to one mix application which helped with slipping.

I am about to do a 42x22 shop next. The idea of white might be a good idea. My previous two applications were tan and Red Raider Red.
Old June 26th, 2013, 11:04 PM
LR Max
Thomason, Max
1973 Series 3 109

This is what I used:

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Rust-Oleu...2#.UcupV_nqmM4

It has been epic win. Looks great, awesome for wiping up oil, cleans easily, and after a year, no peeling. When I am working on a car, laying on my back I'm like, "I am so happy to be laying on this nice floor."

Biggest issue is TAKE YOUR TIME. I rushed through it (long story short, I was moving in) and in some places, it shows.

It comes with a "you too, can paint your garage floor too" DVD. Watch it a few times THEN go back and buy all the crap you need. They recommend a number of items for painting and it is all worth it. Definitely a lot of elbow grease involved but so worth it. Literally, all of my neighbors are jealous of my garage floor.

Now I don't drive a sports car, but I'll come in straight from the highway and onto that garage floor. No issues with peeling or anything. I drag jacks across it, drop gas tanks on it, drop rims, no problems.

Do it. Its awesome. I'm heavily considering about doing it to my g/f's garage.
Old June 27th, 2013, 09:12 AM
1of40
1of40

Registry
Thanks everyone, this has been real helpful. My garage floor is dingy after 13 years of oil, gas and kids. I'd like to do the floor, get some better lighting and rig a sound system.
Old June 27th, 2013, 09:30 AM
Jonesy
Craig
87 D110 (Ruby)

Registry
Clay - if it has ANY stains at all from old oil, grease, gas etc you HAVE TO wash it with acid (Muratic/water is what I used) then apply. Like Jeff said - skip the flecks. Yes it looks great....it is VERY slippery when wet. Oil stains just wipe off easy. BUT it will peel with hot tires GUARANTEED, and things like jack stands leave marks/dents/rips that peel later too.

I did three car bays in my old house - only one ("storage") didn't peel - the two that had vehicles in did peel up - that was after a few years of use.

I didn't do the garage in my current place....for all the reasons. The absolute best is the tile products...but it is a lot more expensive - but you can do real cool designs.

http://www.americangaragefloor.com/tile/

Home depot has one similar too...if I was going to do it that is what I would do.
Old June 27th, 2013, 09:47 AM
Jymmiejamz
Jimmy
1995 D90 SW #365

Registry
I work in a shop with coated floor, and I hate it. Its extremely slippery with oil on it, even with oil resistant soles on my boots. Its also a pain in the ass to keep clean.
Old June 27th, 2013, 11:02 AM
Firemanshort
David Short
1980 Stage One 109

Registry
Has anyone used this product? It is made for driveways / exterior ...

http://rustoleumrestore.com/extreme/

(I echo the single color floor if you are prone to dropping small parts....)
Sterling, VA
Old June 27th, 2013, 03:20 PM
1of40
1of40

Registry
Yeah, there's no chance I'm opening that pandora's box.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat