Garage Cabinets and Such - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old October 4th, 2013, 10:50 PM
SMac
Sam
NAS 97 D90 SW

It looks like I should be getting back into a real house with a garage with this move next week to Tejas, so Ive been searching the webs and Garage Journal for ways to organize it. Does anyone have recommendations for garage cabinets and benches? It will be a rental in plus or minus three years so I don't want to spend a fortune, but would like something durable enough to last and be attractive to renters. And that could be a piss poor idea; I usually leave my rentals bare in the garage. I hear decent things about the Sam's Club line of "Ultra Heavy Duty" cabinets; anyone rocking them? I would like to stay away from Craftsman or Gladiator...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 4th, 2013, 10:52 PM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

Old kitchen cabinets work well and are free.
Old October 4th, 2013, 10:57 PM
SMac
Sam
NAS 97 D90 SW

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilfij View Post
Exactly what my slum lord tight wad Scottish Dad would say. In fact, I think he already did last week.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 4th, 2013, 11:03 PM
Rocky
Chris
72 + D1 drivetrain

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilfij View Post
X2. Pick them up at a recycling center, or just go with good quality shelving.

I don't know about the brakes, only their unreliability.
Old October 4th, 2013, 11:23 PM
SMac
Sam
NAS 97 D90 SW

I dont have the exact dimensions. When I was out househunting a few weeks ago, I had the builders wife put her RRS on OR suspension to make sure our cars would clear the garage door. I dont know if the 90 will get under, so ripping out the header may be my first order of business. Hate to on new construction. Its about 24 ish square with 10-12' ceilings. Horrible, not knowing the dimensions, I know. I had 1.5 days to find a house that made sense as a rental.

I would rather buy than go heavy into fabricating shelving due to time. It is a finished garage with built in overhead storage shelf, epoxy floor, and sealed/insulated door and sides. Nothing too crazy or exciting though.
Old October 4th, 2013, 11:35 PM
SMac
Sam
NAS 97 D90 SW

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSBriggs View Post
Those two dont go together. Well, if you are 10-12' pallet racks are great. Ive got interlake, that i got from an shut down Costco. -Jeff
Right! I used to build and remodel with my Dad on his rentals, so Id just be out time and a new door. Still is a 2-4 day project and like you say renters wont give two craps about it. That pallet rack idea might not be too bad. You have any updated pics of your garage you had going on GJ?

Edit...moving to El Paso, so I have this fear that my 90 will end up in Juarez if I park it outside. Hence the garage door height issue!
Old October 5th, 2013, 01:33 PM
whitelandy33
Pecos
hyundai

I had a similar situation. I came across inexpensive gladiator cabinets at lowes for $27. I could not pass them up. So I went to three other lowes in the area and bought them out of stock. I think the cabinets were miss priced.

Installed them. Couple of month later decided to rent the house out. Since they have an easy install/uninstall feature I removed them for my new place. Tenant had no use for them.

Prior to purchasing them I was planning to get the particle board white ones. Cheap but they do not hold up to years of use and oils. Old kitchen cabinets will work from craigslist.

For a work bench, I looked at craigslist for months. Finally decided on a gladiator 8 footer that was on sale at sears. Its sexy. I want another one.
Old October 5th, 2013, 02:36 PM
SMac
Sam
NAS 97 D90 SW

Doing some research today as I sit in an empty apartment. Looks like these cabinets have good/great reviews and are pretty darn economical for home use.

Workbench: $199

http://m.samsclub.com/ip/ultra-heavy...ch/prod1490086

Upper cabinets: $59

Roller cabinet: $199

Manufacturer is Seville Classics; I see that these cabinets are available through Amazon, Sears, eBay, etc but are cheapest through Sams.

Reviews from Garage Journal:

http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/s...d.php?t=142923

http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/s...d.php?t=212629

Thinking 1 workbench, two uprights, chair, and two wall mounts. $780 plus tax and elbow grease, not bad at all.

------ Follow up post added October 5th, 2013 02:38 PM ------

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitelandy33 View Post
I had a similar situation. I came across inexpensive gladiator cabinets at lowes for $27. I could not pass them up. So I went to three other lowes in the area and bought them out of stock. I think the cabinets were miss priced. Installed them. Couple of month later decided to rent the house out. Since they have an easy install/uninstall feature I removed them for my new place. Tenant had no use for them. Prior to purchasing them I was planning to get the particle board white ones. Cheap but they do not hold up to years of use and oils. Old kitchen cabinets will work from craigslist. For a work bench, I looked at craigslist for months. Finally decided on a gladiator 8 footer that was on sale at sears. Its sexy. I want another one.
$27...lol good find! Particle board is a no no anywhere; kitchen cabinets of the solid wood variety would definitely work but look a bit, um, domestic.

------ Follow up post added October 5th, 2013 02:42 PM ------

Quote:
How big of a garage? Ive got pallet racks that work well, but Ive also got 12' ceilings. My neighbor used simpson brackets and 2x4's to make some usable shelves/bench. http://diydoneright.com/projects/garage-organization/ The advantage is if you use screws you can take it apart and reassemble it at the next place. -Jeff
A solid site, thanks Jeff. Strong Ties with stained cabinet grade and pine would look pretty good. I do want an enclosed cabinet or two to keep aerosols and such out of sight, and I am definitely not a cabinet builder.
Old October 5th, 2013, 03:01 PM
nathanwind
Jason Lavender
88-90-127-LR3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Sam, just build a work bench out of 4x4s, 2x4s, and some doubled up 1/2" ply for a top....worked great for me, you can customize it for your space, and cheap/strong as hell. I mounted a Wilton vise on it and beat things constantly.

For cabinets, Lowes at one point had a but a big stand-up enclosed door cabinets (4' wide & 1.5-2' deep) get a free hanging wall cabinet with their Gladiator stuff. If you recall at all when you were at my place that's exactly what my setup is. If you're still in town feel free to swing back for a look.
'94 90 NAS #324
'06 LR3 HSE

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

(10% discount for DSource members, use coupon code "D90")

Old October 5th, 2013, 03:33 PM
nathanwind
Jason Lavender
88-90-127-LR3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
You have a Wilton? Is it a bullet? Pics? -Jeff
No bullet, but it is the reverse jaw vise which can hold a complete diff with no problem.

Editors note: this is the "imported" line of Wilton, and not made in the USA...but was within my budget and still has a lifetime warranty.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-326045746.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	523.1 KB
ID:	81625  
'94 90 NAS #324
'06 LR3 HSE

Old October 5th, 2013, 03:38 PM
SMac
Sam
NAS 97 D90 SW

Thanks Jason. Im back in the dirty south and away from all the Beltway action. Speaking of Vises, what is a good all around model nowadays? Ive never really thought about it, just used what Dad had in his shops.
Old October 5th, 2013, 03:45 PM
nathanwind
Jason Lavender
88-90-127-LR3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by SMac View Post
Speaking of Vises, what is a good all around model nowadays? Ive never really thought about it, just used what Dad had in his shops.
Get a Wilton...they've got models/price-ranges within everyone's budget. Here's mine:
http://www.amazon.com/Wilton-14500-R...s=wilton+14500

If you can pony up for their USA-made line they're 10x better, but are probably starting at about $600 or so.
'94 90 NAS #324
'06 LR3 HSE

Old October 5th, 2013, 07:30 PM
Jpayne
Jeff Payne
'83 110 3 Door

Registry
I should have bought one like this when I saw it at a blacksmith conference. Double chain driven screws keep the jaws parallel.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3695623881.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	108.7 KB
ID:	81644  

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat