G Wagon vs. D-90 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old February 9th, 2005, 03:10 PM
SeanD-90
Sean Lee

G Wagon vs. D-90

What is everyone's opinion about the G-Wagon...I am particularly interested in the 1980's 300G-Diesel model.

Thanks for letting me ask about the G-Wagon in the D-90 site.

Sean
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 9th, 2005, 03:17 PM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
stock lockers....

Parts and aftermarket support etc.
Old February 9th, 2005, 03:41 PM
SeanD-90
Sean Lee

What exactly does that mean?

stock lockers....

Parts and aftermarket support etc.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 9th, 2005, 03:48 PM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
the G Wagens have lockers from the facotry as far as I know (ALL). I dont think there is as much after market support for the G-Wagens as there are Defenders think RockWare SafariGard Rovertracks trac-tec all of those. I think it would be harder more costly to get parts for the Merc than the 50 D-90's. All of the being said I dont know much about the Mercs and havent researched them much there was one guy that was doing alot with the G-Wagens and I think he was trying to sell his well outfitted G here, Yousef I think has wheeled with him I cant remember his name tho...
Old February 9th, 2005, 03:52 PM
cbass
Bradlee Duncan
'94 White and '95 Red D's

His name's Chuck Henry, and his screenname is Gollygwagen. Look him up in the member list and PM or email him; I'm sure you'll get tons of info from him. He used to have a site called www.gelaendekraft.com, but it is no longer up and running AFAIK.
Old February 9th, 2005, 04:02 PM
SeanD-90
Sean Lee

Yeah, I spoke to Chuck and he helped me out a lot. I was just trying to see what the others thought about these vehicles.

Thanks
Old February 9th, 2005, 04:02 PM
norros
Nicholas Orros
1995 NAS D90 SW

Well, I don't know if the 80's version had STOCK lockers... that thing looked like a 'tinker toy.
You may be mistaken for being in a 'Lil Kim' video (saw her old GWag on 'Cribs'...lol) or worse yet a Suzuki Samurai.

Now the newer one... well, now you're talking 'money baby'... and style.

The gentleman's name is Chuck Henry, and he'll be the first to tell you he was the Founder of the D90 Source... He wanted a bunch for that thing, I thought it was horrid. Take the star symbol out and what do you have ? ...Exactly.

Oh and Parts support ? Was that even a 'Mercedes North American Spec' (for lack of a better term) vehicle ? Or did people just 'get it through' customs ?

Sorry, I'm just not a big fan of those old GWag's. (to each his own right ?)

Nicholas Orros
<edit>
Bradlee, Sorry I reiterated... I was working on my post, then saw you posted after I hit submit.
Attached Images

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old February 9th, 2005, 04:27 PM
JBurt
Jesse McCoy
'89 RRC SWB (needs work)

I hate to point this out, but she has a Defender as well. The only reason I know is I caught the tail end of her VH1 Fabulous life of and thought, "Hmmm, well there's one that never sees dirt."
Old February 9th, 2005, 04:56 PM
SeanD-90
Sean Lee

Nicholas,

That is very funny that you say that about the GWagon because the owner of one 1985 GWagon said, "it's very similar to driving a Suzuki Samurai"

Now, the million dollar question: Would you trade your D90 for a a 1990 G320 with 50K miles?
Old February 9th, 2005, 05:08 PM
norros
Nicholas Orros
1995 NAS D90 SW

Sean,

Honestly, I wouldn't sell/trade my D-baby for anything... It's like taking CRACK from a CRACK WHORE...haha.
and that's not to say I couldn't afford another D90 or a 1990 GWag, or even possibly a slightly used newer G500... I just couldn't trade mine, it's a literal sickness.

And more honesty... I don't even know what a 1990 G320 looks like ? The same as the other monstrosity ?

(trying to see where you're going with this...) )

Nicholas

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old February 9th, 2005, 05:33 PM
SeanD-90
Sean Lee

Lightbulb

Here is what the G320 looks like...pretty much exactly the same as the current G500. I'm just trying to get some more opinions from people that own the 90's right now. I've just sold my 97 D90 SW in order to get a ST but found the GWagons and I'm not sure which way to go...I know the D-90 but the GWagon is different.

See pics...what do you think?

Sean
Attached Images

Old February 9th, 2005, 05:44 PM
Mike Hippert
D-90Slut/Stalker,SNLPres
94 D-90 Grinding Rover

Hey sean have you checked out here at all

http://www.benzworld.org/forums/

best benz site I know of.
Old February 9th, 2005, 06:02 PM
SeanD-90
Sean Lee

Thumbs up

Thanks Mike, but I've read through all of the threads regarding the GWagons already. I wish I had the $$ for both the D90 & the GWagon but I think I'm going to stick with the Defenders go for the ST...I think my family and I will enjoy it more.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DOGS.jpg
Views:	181
Size:	55.3 KB
ID:	2501  
Old February 9th, 2005, 06:42 PM
JBurt
Jesse McCoy
'89 RRC SWB (needs work)

Right on!

I hear Defenders get more panties on the windshield
Old February 9th, 2005, 08:21 PM
rustydefender
Russell Newton
97 D-90 sw

Body double? Not insulting either vehicle just pointing out the similarity. The G-Wagen WAS a great car but ever since mb started marketing it as a luxury car rappers started buying them and stickin rims on them. They have lost their heritage as a tough military vehicle and a new one can cost up to $120,000 for the amg $80 something for the regular. If I was in the market for a vehicle of that price I would pocket 10 grand and get the far superior rangie as apposed to 20 year old tech.
Attached Images

Old February 9th, 2005, 09:29 PM
norros
Nicholas Orros
1995 NAS D90 SW

Sean,

I like the pics, seems more luxurious like the newer one's, but I'd go for the ST.... Were you planning on wheeling the GWagen ? or did you just want something different ? (Now, I remember in another post you mentioning that you sold your SW to get an ST... ah-haaah).

I think Russell said it best: "...They have lost their heritage as a tough military vehicle...".
Don't get me wrong the new one's are cool, I'd love to put my girl in one but it doesn't press that button on me like the Defender 90.

In any case, you'll make the right decision for you !

Good luck Sir.

Nicholas

P.S. Where's DJ Menasco in all this ?

Old February 9th, 2005, 09:54 PM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

They are probably sweet. They do look very similar. Just keep in mind, the G-wagon has the D-90 front suspension both front and rear, and in stock form, the D-90 front suspension sucks.

BUCK Wild Racing
Driver: Me
Co-driver: Pat Quirk
Team 911

Rover Tracks
PSC
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline
Made it further than half of the other guys, but the Hammers won.
Old February 10th, 2005, 12:24 AM
jperakis
James Perakis
94 ST

i say go with the new G convertibles. ... what do those go for $150K?
Old February 10th, 2005, 12:29 AM
chrisvonc
Chris von C
No Defender at this time

I gave serious thought to pitching my D90 to Chuck when he wanted to trade his G for one. Aside from his, I would not trade my D90 for any other G I have seen yet.

Please email one of the current MODs if you need assistance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lriwater: As you know, most wives don't like Series trucks due to the ride and lack of creature comforts. Girlfriends seem to like those, but some sort of magic happens during the wedding ceremony.
[/size]
Old February 10th, 2005, 06:51 AM
D110XD
Michael-P. Richter
110 HT XD 1997

Hi everyone,

I'll try to give an overview:

The Mercedes G class consists of following types built and engineered by Austrian Puch:

460(built from 1972 till 1990): 230G, 200GE, 23GE, 280GE, and the diesels: 240GD, 250GD, 300GD

461(built from 1992on with pickup versions, Singlecabs, ...for industrial or exped. use): 230GE, and diesels 290GD, 290GD Turbodiesel

(462: Mainly CKD Kits (i.e. Greece military))

463(built from 1990on with more comfort and electronic features. Permanent 4x4, 3 diff.locks, ABS,...): 200GE (Italy), 230GE, 300GE V6, G320 V6, 500GE V8 and diesels: 300GD, 350GD Turbodiesel, G300 Turbodiesel, G400CDI.

And special mil. Versions: US Marines (IfAV)...

The last real Offroad G is this g270 worker:
http://home.datacomm.ch/g-technik/pu...g270worker.htm
461 with modern features like the 270CDI engine (drivetrain from the 463, body and Interior from the 461)
It has 2!! Power circuits 1 12v and 1 24v and 3!!! batteries.

To compare the Defender with the Mercedes G:

The Defender is only comparable with the 461. The 463 is an electronic luxus monster :-)
The Defender has the better geometry (suspension, angles front and rear,...) and is better in extreme Offroad/in bad conditions. Which does not mean, that the G is bad Offroad. Definetly not. Upgrade the suspension and lift it a little bit,...
Of course, most Gs have not only the centre difflock but aditionally rear and/or front diff locks (what's an advantage for them).
But you can upgrade the Defender axles easily. The Defender is more simple built, has a Aluminium body and the better axle articulation.
The Defender is cheaper than the G and there are more Variants (90 Softtop/Hardtop/Pickup/Station; 110Softtop/Hardtop/Station/Singlecab Pickup/Doublecab Pickup/HiCap Pickup; 130 Singlecab/DoubleCab Pickup,...)

The Defender simply has more character and there's more acessoires available,...I'd never sell it to buy a G. But if someone has a G as a gift ---I'd take it.

Mike

Follow-up Post:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustydefender
...They have lost their heritage as a tough military vehicle...
No. From left to right: The US Marine Corps uses the G, Commando Forces and standard Forces in Germany, Canada. Derivates made by Peugeot are used in France, for example.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	mil-usmc-gwash-big.jpg
Views:	711
Size:	46.2 KB
ID:	2508   Click image for larger version

Name:	bw_agf_ksk-010.jpg
Views:	323
Size:	113.9 KB
ID:	2509  

Name:	110061-canIFAV_klein.jpg