Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old February 10th, 2005, 10:04 AM
norros
Nicholas Orros
1995 NAS D90 SW

Chris,

Don't leave us for the dark side !!!
I hear what you're saying and I'm sure his is pretty cool... still looks like a 'Zuki.

Michael,

Great rundown of the models & availability...
But realize one thing, the original post really had to do with what we AMERICANS have available to us, and between an 80's GWag & our beloved D90. So great historical lesson nonetheless.

Don't get me wrong, I love Beck's Dark.... But not that G.

Nicholas Orros

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 10th, 2005, 10:11 AM
dmarchand
David Marchand
'97 D90 SW Arles

Registry
I have to be honest a stir the pot. I'd go for the 300 GD. It's a pretty sweet setup and has everything you might want unless you want a soft-top. I dig their styling (lunch box-esque), that's a quality year and engine. And they are fun rides.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old February 10th, 2005, 10:16 AM
SeanD-90
Sean Lee

Thumbs up Update

Mike,

That was very nicely put and thanks for the military pics.

So here is the update fellas.

I recently sold my White 97 SW with the intention of getting a ST because I was planning on moving back down to Puerto Rico...obviously, the ST would ROCK down there in the year round summer weather.

I always loved the British Racing Green so have been looking for it for the past 3 months or so.

Now the problems:
  1. The only one's that I found have all been in the mid-to-high $30K range.
  2. There is a 30% SUV tax that I will have to pay when I ship it down to Puerto Rico.
This is when I ran into an old GWagon which will cost half the price. That is the only reason why I have been looking into them. I love the Defender and would not even consider the GWagon / Samurai if it wasn't for it's monetary benefits.

I think I started this threas with the Hopes that someone that has a Defender (my colleagues and friends)will have some good things to say about them...but unfortunately, that has not been the case. BASTARDS!

So now that you are all filled in, what do you have to say now?

I know that in the end, I will break my bank and go for the Defender. Once you go Defender, you never go back.

HELP!

Sean
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 10th, 2005, 10:55 AM
JBurt
Jesse McCoy
'89 RRC SWB (needs work)

Sean, since you asked for opinions here's mine:
Register it in VA before you ship it to Puerto Rico and argue that it isn't an SUV.
My registration has it listed as a wagon (Don't know if everybody else is this way too since there hasn't been a thread about it since I bought it and I'm too lazy to search [sorry moderators]) not an SUV. Don't know if it'll ease the economic burden, but it may be worth a shot. Either way, there's a white Gwagen in C'ville with Antique plates on it. It looks good, nothing fancy, pretty stock except for a brushguard and lights, but it is cool.
Old February 10th, 2005, 11:19 AM
SeanD-90
Sean Lee

Jesse,

Thanks for the tip. I will def try that. Also, do you know how much they are asking for that GWagon?

Thanks
Old February 10th, 2005, 12:41 PM
JBurt
Jesse McCoy
'89 RRC SWB (needs work)

Not for sale, it was just out and about. I did see a forward control for sale last week at a LR shop here though...I got some real ideas for it.
Old February 10th, 2005, 12:43 PM
SeanD-90
Sean Lee

Jesse,

How is it driving the Manual Tramsmission d90?
Old February 10th, 2005, 12:47 PM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
I wouldnt have it any other way. I think there is a learning curve due to the slack in the driveline you have to keep it wound up sometimes you will get some noise in stop and go traffic but thats the nature of rover driveline. I have driven the autobox 90 once and it wasnt bad, I think chicks dig changin gears, maybe the roverchic will add her .02$ in regards to this matter.
Old February 10th, 2005, 12:47 PM
JBurt
Jesse McCoy
'89 RRC SWB (needs work)

Manual Transmission is nice if you like driving a manual. I couldn't see myself with anything else (It also ensures the fiance` won't take it out while I'm working )

I have to agree with Phillip, Closest thing I've ever had experience with driving like it was an '84 F-150. It's tough to stall out, but it takes some getting used to (Took me a day).

Also, I like revving the engine instead of honking, so like I say, couldn't see myself with anything else.
Old February 10th, 2005, 02:57 PM
SeanD-90
Sean Lee

I haven't driven a stick since my Ford Ranger in 1996. You guys have just given me a new option. Does anyone know what the average mileage for a 94 d90 is? Is it close to the end of it's lifetime if it's around 140K miles?

Thanks
Old February 10th, 2005, 03:19 PM
JBurt
Jesse McCoy
'89 RRC SWB (needs work)

I think North America rovers are never near the end of its lifetime, just closer to its overhaul!
My '95 has 113K on it and I think I'll drive it 20K miles a year for the next 20 years or so. After that I figure my kids will drive it. When it comes down to it, you can always get the frame galvanised, swap the motor, tranny, or what have you, and have a near new vehicle.

Go for it, and get a manual.
Old February 10th, 2005, 06:41 PM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
I think it's kinda hit or miss on the milage if they have been taken care of and servied well I dont think 200k would be an unreasonable amount of miles. however there are a number of things to consider especailly with the coolin system I think its the most over-looked portion of these things.
Old February 10th, 2005, 10:10 PM
rustydefender
Russell Newton
97 D-90 sw

I was't trying to say that they are no longer excellent military vehicles. They are indeed a great design. It's just that the name like Hummer with the introduction of the H2 has lost sight of it's intended purpose. You have to admit that the name G-wagen nowadays is mostly associated with rappers and rims not soldiers and machineguns at least hear in the U.S. I was not rying to criticize the vehicle just the way mb has chosen to modify and market it in the U.S.
Old February 11th, 2005, 07:22 AM
D110XD
Michael-P. Richter
110 HT XD 1997

Ok, you're right of course...
Café racers...I understand. Good example w. the Hummers.
The Defender is one of the last vehicles of this type, that hasn't lost it's reputation yet....I think...
So...Rappers - don't even think about using a Defender in your videos...

Best regards,

Michael
Old February 11th, 2005, 07:39 AM
norros
Nicholas Orros
1995 NAS D90 SW

Rappers yes... So it's o.k. for Britney Spears to use one in her video ?

j/k

Nicholas

Old February 11th, 2005, 08:22 AM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
There is a red D-90 in the "bling-bling" rap video if my memory serves me correctly
Old February 11th, 2005, 08:24 AM
D110XD
Michael-P. Richter
110 HT XD 1997

Talking

Hmmmm...No. Ok, she's cute but it should rather be used by
Metallica, Soulfly ...

Bling bilng? Rap, Don't know that song....? Oooohhh noooooooo!!!! 20" chrome wheels, low profile tires,...???

But she was definetly allowed to: MM
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	19xxMarilyn.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	29.0 KB
ID:	2518  
Old February 11th, 2005, 10:50 PM
rustydefender
Russell Newton
97 D-90 sw

well now you can't buy a brand new one so the celebs are not to intrested. most of the stuff they buy must be straight off the showroom floor.
Old February 13th, 2005, 07:59 PM
boshea
Brian OShea
1995 Defender 90 ST

Sean,

I have owned both (1986 280 GE SWB) and 3 Defenders (94 Arles Blue ST, 95 Conniston Green ST, 95 Beluga Black ST). Hmmm...I used to love the G-wagens until MBNA decided to mass produce the car. I liked the fact that the truck was unique and essentially handbuilt. However, if I had to choose between them both....I would pick my Defender, which is why I have owned three. Older Gelaendewagens are a bitch to find parts for. I actually once had a machine shop fabricate a piece which I was not able to locate in the U.S. In addtion, most parts (when you can track them down) will be available in Europe, where the language barrier is a problem if you don't know German.

Onroad performance:
The Defender is quicker and not as lumbering as the older G's...especially a diesel. However, the G wagen felt a little more stable and solid than the Defender. The Defender can feel a little bit hollow or tinny at times...the G is built like a tank...solid and sturdy.

Offroad performance:
The Gwagens do have stock locking diffs, which are pretty nice if you are driving offroad. The stock Defender in my estimation is a more capable vehicle than the Gwagen...unless you decide to modify your G.

I would choose the Defender over the Gwagen...IMO. I hope that helps. If you have any more questions...shoot me an email.

Follow-up Post:

Oh yeah...check out www.clubgwagen.com a great resource for everything Gwagen. Also check out www.keisermotors.com ...Norm imports older G's into the country (converts the emission and everything)
Old February 14th, 2005, 10:55 AM
SeanD-90
Sean Lee

Thanks Brian,

I contacted Norm at Keiser, and he is sending me some pics of a 86' 280GE and a 79' 300D. (Again, the only reason why I am even looking at these older GWagons is because it is half the price of the Defenders.)

My mind is 99% made up already to go back to the Defender...why change something that ain't broke.

If anyone knows of a good deal on a D90, please let me know.

Has anyone checked out that Port of Entry Defender on Ebay?...what do you think about it?

Sean

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Tags
90, d-90