Fzj80? - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old August 19th, 2013, 09:16 PM
Abrooks
Tony Brooks

Fzj80?

With the third child here, my daily driver appliance A4 simply isn't big enough to carry the entire family. Our 100 series cruiser has been fantastic over the last few years and it makes sense that an 80 series would make a smart replacement for the Audi.

Anyone know of any good examples that are available? I'm monitoring ih8mud, expo and CL. And after having had a slew of RRCs and discos, I'm looking for an FZJ80, lets leave that conversation alone.

Thanks!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 19th, 2013, 09:21 PM
Viggen
Jarrod
none

Edit: scratch all that.

Toyota Sequoia.
Old August 20th, 2013, 08:29 AM
MonLand
Loic Fabro
95 D90 - 96 Disco -06 LR3

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abrooks View Post
would make a smart replacement for the Audi.
Could you define "smart" for us?
it is not hoarding it is selective collecting
---
MonLand
1995 D90 NAS
1996 Discovery NAS
2006 LR3 NAS (hers, but comfy! :) )
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 20th, 2013, 08:41 AM
AmityD90
Gery
1987 ROW D90

Registry
Get another 100 series if you want another DD. I have an 06 and will probably own her till the kids are in college. Will be hard to find a clean 80. I know of a very nice built one going for $15k and worth every penny. Pm me if you are interested in something like that.

Gery
Old August 20th, 2013, 08:44 AM
Abrooks
Tony Brooks

Sequoia is an interesting idea. It doesn't need to be perfectly clean as 90% of the time it will just be shuttling me into town, but it does need to be able to carry 2 car seats and a booster seat.

Old August 20th, 2013, 09:58 AM
Rocky
Chris
72 + D1 drivetrain

Nearly did the first gen sequoia back in 2005. Great vehicle. Nice tow rating for a trailer queen as well....

I don't know about the brakes, only their unreliability.
Old August 20th, 2013, 10:10 AM
Howski
Kevin
2002 Land Rover Discovery II

Registry
x2 on a Suburban/Tahoe. Everyone I've known with either the newer or older body styles has been very pleased with them
Old August 20th, 2013, 10:11 AM
Abrooks
Tony Brooks

Hadn't considered a tahoe, thanks for that. I'm afraid a suburban wouldn't make it through the slalom course of the underground parking garages at my offices.

Old August 20th, 2013, 10:20 AM
Abrooks
Tony Brooks

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSBriggs View Post
You'd be surprised. Its like wheelin, you know your vehicle, and pick your line.

-Jeff
Slow as possible, fast as necessary . . . and yell at the ticket guy to get out of your line.

Old August 20th, 2013, 11:16 AM
don
Don Bunnell
'86 110 3dr ST

Registry
Quote:
Id suggest a suburban. It it the least exciting car we own, and yet does the job perfectly. A Tahoe would work around town, but if you travel at all, or have a dog, the extra room behind the 3rd row for child paraphernalia is nice on a suburban.

-Jeff
Quote:
Hadn't considered a tahoe, thanks for that. I'm afraid a suburban wouldn't make it through the slalom course of the underground parking garages at my offices.
x4 or whatever on the 'Burban. It has tons of room and my vehicle doubles as a worktruck when needed (just take the back seats out and a throw in some tarp.

Our 2010 is pretty agile for it's size. Just take it slow and get one with the backup camera. I've gotten it into some pretty tight spots but I do use the parking features. I have had it in a few tight underground garages.

Traveling with the kids and dogs is where it shines. I've done many 1000 miles trips up to VT and back in 'Burbans in all kinds of weather and the truck get shit done. Plus they go down the highway very nicely. My old man who can nit-pick any vehicle loves our and his only complaint is the MPG (which I tell him it gets 85MPG/passenger when loaded up).

And they look so much better than a Sequoia.
Old August 20th, 2013, 12:26 PM
Daddymow
Raub A.
1987 D110 Tithonus

Registry
Being a Ford guy I will throw in a vote to get an Expedition I love mine and like my last dozen or so Fords I have owned I fully expect to keep it till at least around the 200k mile mark. It is great on trips and tows the 110, the boat and 4 wheelers with no problem. The good thing about the Expedition/Tahoe route is parts are readily available and so are good indepenant mechanics.
Old August 20th, 2013, 12:58 PM
Viggen
Jarrod
none

Does it have to be an SUV?
Old August 20th, 2013, 01:01 PM
Abrooks
Tony Brooks

No, but I'm not sure what else will hold that many car and booster seats (save a conversion van, which would be fantastic)

Old August 20th, 2013, 02:02 PM
Rocky
Chris
72 + D1 drivetrain

Quote:
Id suggest a suburban. It it the least exciting car we own, and yet does the job perfectly. A Tahoe would work around town, but if you travel at all, or have a dog, the extra room behind the 3rd row for child paraphernalia is nice on a suburban.

-Jeff
I understand the size concern about a 'burb, but they are just so easy to drive its insane. I've been tempted several times to go and get one especially with two dogs......oh yeah and two kids.....

There is no way I'd ever go for a 'hoe, simply because for another $1,500 or so, the Burb is so much more useful, especially with the third row up.

I don't know about the brakes, only their unreliability.
Old August 20th, 2013, 02:49 PM
slorocco
Dan Prasada-Rao
1963, 109 Station Wagon

Quote:
You'd be surprised. Its like wheelin, you know your vehicle, and pick your line.

-Jeff
A guy from the DC area wheeled an Excursion at the VOT certainly you could navigate a suburan through the suburbs.
Old August 20th, 2013, 03:24 PM
Viggen
Jarrod
none

Quote:
No, but I'm not sure what else will hold that many car and booster seats (save a conversion van, which would be fantastic)
So, at the risk of 'turn in your man card' kind of comments, why not something like a Town and Country, Odyssey, Sienna? My friend has two kids and a dog. Has both a Chrysler minivan and an Acadia. The amount of little nooks and storage areas in his van is crazy. It has the Pentastar V6 and is WAY faster than you think it ought to be and gets pretty decent mileage for its size and weight. Both his kids are in booster seats and getting them in and out is a breeze with two sliding doors. Ive ridden in it and its no slouch and very comfortable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by slorocco View Post
A guy from the DC area wheeled an Excursion at the VOT certainly you could navigate a suburan through the suburbs.
He came away with some pretty sizable body damage it seems. If I came home with two stoved in doors, my wife would kill me. Plus, in and around DC, parking garages are a fact of life. They are usually low clearance and a pain. I drive a '12 four door Focus and some DC garages are a pain for even me to maneuver around in.
Old August 20th, 2013, 03:51 PM
slorocco
Dan Prasada-Rao
1963, 109 Station Wagon

Yeah, Im aware of the new beauty marks on the Excursion from the event. My excuse with the 109 is I just tell folks I drive by Braille.

I'm very familiar with DC and the parking situation. Lived in and around DC for most of my life. Mostly just some tonge in cheek humor there man.
Old August 20th, 2013, 04:16 PM
Viggen
Jarrod
none

Quote:
Originally Posted by slorocco View Post
Yeah, Im aware of the new beauty marks on the Excursion from the event. My excuse with the 109 is I just tell folks I drive by Braille.
I took my wife out with me for a weekend down at URE. On the way down to there, the power steering belt popped and the local NAPA didnt have anything close to the right size so we hit the trails with me Armstronging it. I ran into everything with the front bumper. Helped justify the ridiculous price of 60 series MAF bumpers.
Old August 20th, 2013, 04:21 PM
Ray_G
Ray Gerber
54 S1 86", 96 D1 (Coyote), 06 D3

Registry
There's your answer Tony...step up the the Mani-van...

Good god what have we come to?
Old August 20th, 2013, 04:33 PM
Daddymow
Raub A.
1987 D110 Tithonus

Registry
Get that mini van man!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat