Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old August 20th, 2013, 05:12 PM
Viggen
Jarrod
none

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray_G View Post
There's your answer Tony...step up the the Mani-van...

Good god what have we come to?
Haha, knew that was coming but they exist for a reason. They are just so easy to live with. Theyre doing 0-60 in high 7's too.

A different suggestion: Ford Flex (twin turbo V6)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 20th, 2013, 06:34 PM
Ray_G
Ray Gerber
54 S1 86", 96 D1 (Coyote), 06 D3

Registry
They do exist for a reason, that's for sure-and truth be told I have several friends that swear by them. That being said nothing says 'angry white man' more than someone mashing the skinny pedal on a minivan to establish dominance at a traffic light.

As I said in text Tony, let me know when I can come over and help put the stick figure family on...I vote Lucy gets a zombie dog since she's bat shit crazy anyway...
Old August 20th, 2013, 07:05 PM
Abrooks
Tony Brooks

Mini van just isn't going to happen. Hard stop.

I got a ford flex stuck in a snow bank after driving off a dog sled track in Maine several winters ago. It took a LOT of effort to free it. There were also several very angry dog sledders. Consequently I've sworn off of them.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 20th, 2013, 07:25 PM
Viggen
Jarrod
none

Quote:
They do exist for a reason, that's for sure-and truth be told I have several friends that swear by them. That being said nothing says 'angry white man' more than someone mashing the skinny pedal on a minivan to establish dominance at a traffic light.
Ha, true but its always fun surprising people. I used to do it in my allroad all the time. It was chipped and had some intercooler tubing to breathe easier and handle the increased boost. It just looked like a green wagon on the outside. When I hit the pedal, it was a damn rocket ship. Loved shocking people with cars that should have been a lot faster.

Personally, I like minivans and station wagons. Stuff like this is fantastic
Old August 20th, 2013, 07:53 PM
don
Don Bunnell
'86 110 3dr ST

Registry
When I was in Italy a few years ago we got taxi'd in an awesome Mercedes minivan with manual gearbox and a peppy little diesel. I would give up my Suburban for that rig in a second.

Allroads were nice sleepers. Heavy yes, but that twin turbo 2.7 with some added boost and freer flowing exhaust would go along nice. Supposedly the K04 upgrade would put out some serious HP.
Old August 20th, 2013, 08:00 PM
Viggen
Jarrod
none

Quote:
Originally Posted by don View Post
When I was in Italy a few years ago we got taxi'd in an awesome Mercedes minivan with manual gearbox and a peppy little diesel. I would give up my Suburban for that rig in a second.

Allroads were nice sleepers. Heavy yes, but that twin turbo 2.7 with some added boost and freer flowing exhaust would go along nice. Supposedly the K04 upgrade would put out some serious HP.
The Merc Viano. They were everywhere in Manchester. If you called a cab and asked for a van, it was either a Viano or it was a Toyota with a D4D diesel in it.

The KO4s were going to be my next step the the factory turbos finally gave up the ghost. APR said I was making 306hp/ 366 lb ft and I believe them. It was one of my favorite cars to date. Finally got rid of it because it was raiding my bank account like Captain Sparrow. Just wasnt worth the continued effort.
Old August 21st, 2013, 09:07 AM
don
Don Bunnell
'86 110 3dr ST

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viggen View Post
The Merc Viano. They were everywhere in Manchester. If you called a cab and asked for a van, it was either a Viano or it was a Toyota with a D4D diesel in it.

The KO4s were going to be my next step the the factory turbos finally gave up the ghost. APR said I was making 306hp/ 366 lb ft and I believe them. It was one of my favorite cars to date. Finally got rid of it because it was raiding my bank account like Captain Sparrow. Just wasnt worth the continued effort.
Yes, the Merc Viano. I thought they were cool as hell. I think I've seen some done up by Brabus that look really killer.

The Audi's can get worse than the Defender! A lot easier working on the 3.9 or small diesel than the engine compartment stuffed with turbo's

I liked my allroad a lot but loved the B6 S4 I replaced it with a lot better. The 4.2 with full Miltek was amazing. That car didn't need much - new exhaust and 19" BBS CH's and it rocked! Although a little too much hence the reason to slow down and get the D90, haha.
Old August 21st, 2013, 09:49 AM
Viggen
Jarrod
none

Quote:
Originally Posted by don View Post
The Audi's can get worse than the Defender! A lot easier working on the 3.9 or small diesel than the engine compartment stuffed with turbo's

I liked my allroad a lot but loved the B6 S4 I replaced it with a lot better. The 4.2 with full Miltek was amazing. That car didn't need much - new exhaust and 19" BBS CH's and it rocked! Although a little too much hence the reason to slow down and get the D90, haha.
If I had a chance to get one with the 4.2, I wouldve probably gotten it. Much better motor than the 2.7. Not a tunable but makes a great noise. The timing chain replacement scares me though. That is a nightmare. I thought I would give an Audi a try. I had 4 different VWs and thought I would step up to the C5, when I shouldve found a VW 3.6 4mo B6.

To keep this on topic, the Audi Q7 would fit three seats. Not that I would recommend one but it could.
Old August 26th, 2013, 11:07 AM
Abrooks
Tony Brooks

What do people know about Expediitons? Spent some time over the weekend looking at Cruisers and walked away impressed at how soundly people can abuse their vehicles.

Expeditions are a dime a dozen and appear to have a good reputation. Thoughts?

Old August 26th, 2013, 11:13 AM
Daddymow
Raub A.
1987 D110 Tithonus

Registry
This is my second one and I love it.
Old August 26th, 2013, 11:15 AM
Abrooks
Tony Brooks

Anything in particular to look for / out for in them?

Old August 26th, 2013, 11:37 AM
Daddymow
Raub A.
1987 D110 Tithonus

Registry
Depending on what year the spark plugs were a problem and would break off when they needed to be changed. A ton of threads on Ford sites about it, But I plenty of people who havw well over 200k miles on them and still running great.
Old August 26th, 2013, 12:00 PM
sonoronos
Ed
None

Registry
IIRC Jonesy has one and would be a good resource to ask
Old August 26th, 2013, 12:36 PM
Viggen
Jarrod
none

Wasnt there something with the head stripping when you put spark plugs in?
Old August 26th, 2013, 12:48 PM
brn24whl
Eric
1994 RRC SWB

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSBriggs View Post
You'd be surprised. Its like wheelin, you know your vehicle, and pick your line.

-Jeff
I had a crew cab, 8' bed, 4x4, one ton p/up that was just like that, 175" WB made for interesting garage parking.

Eric
Direct Line 518-539-2231

If ordering on our online site please choose me as the sales rep. If placing a phone order please call me directly at the numbers above.

Old August 26th, 2013, 09:03 PM
Kexby
Tony
L322

That's fantastic!

Old August 26th, 2013, 09:33 PM
nathanwind
Jason Lavender
88-90-127-LR3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
130!
'94 90 NAS #324
'06 LR3 HSE

(10% discount for DSource members, use coupon code "D90")

Old August 26th, 2013, 09:45 PM
Ray_G
Ray Gerber
54 S1 86", 96 D1 (Coyote), 06 D3

Registry
Lr3...
Old August 27th, 2013, 07:15 PM
Nomar
Jeff B
RR HNTR,RR LWB Tdi

Registry
Quote:
Lr3...
with 3rd row seating...

Real Rovers have round headlights!
Rent my
!
Just a few miles from 4x4 access!
Old August 27th, 2013, 07:47 PM
JohnsD90
John
74 SIII 88", 88 110, 91 110

Registry
Why not a Quad Cab Pickup? Seats six comfortably and get a large cargo area, if you go the older route or get a new Dodge Ram Cummins you can get a manual transmission as well, plus if it is diesel you can get 20+mpg, which is nicer than the 15mpg you will likely see from the LC. Just food for thought...

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat