fzj80 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat


Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old March 22nd, 2008, 10:22 AM
Gore Ranger's Avatar
Gore Ranger
Status: Offline
Jeff
1989 RRC
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Denver, CO
Posts: 536
fzj80

Fellas,

Anybody know anything about the mid 90's Landcruisers?

In particular, many have around 200K miles. What are the motors like on these rigs?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #2  
Old March 22nd, 2008, 11:23 AM
lrnasd90's Avatar
lrnasd90
Status: Offline
J. Landers
1983 110 LHD Galvanized Everything
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Beaumont, TX USA
Posts: 618
I have one, they are a straight six, and built like a tractor inside (the motor that is). The motor on mine runs so smooth that unless you have the hood up you can't tell it is running. Has as much hp and torque as a stock rover 4.6 and gets about the same mileage. Out there on the ih8mud forum there are guys reporting that they have well over 300k miles with little to no major work. Over all I would say it is a pretty solid engine and truck for that matter. Mine came with solid front/rear axles and factory locker both front, rear and center. And with a 2.5 OME lift you can fit 35" tires with no body rub. That is what I have and I can out flex my uncle's p38 with a 5" lift by quiet a few inches.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old March 22nd, 2008, 01:37 PM
Davis's Avatar
Davis
Status: Offline
Chris Davis
94 NAS D90 6.2LS
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Colorado
Posts: 2,503
Great trucks--my second favorite. The engine drivetrain is the plus on these--body rust is the minus.
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #4  
Old March 22nd, 2008, 05:14 PM
Gore Ranger's Avatar
Gore Ranger
Status: Offline
Jeff
1989 RRC
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Denver, CO
Posts: 536
Quote:
Originally Posted by lrnasd90
I have one, they are a straight six, and built like a tractor inside (the motor that is). The motor on mine runs so smooth that unless you have the hood up you can't tell it is running. Has as much hp and torque as a stock rover 4.6 and gets about the same mileage. Out there on the ih8mud forum there are guys reporting that they have well over 300k miles with little to no major work. Over all I would say it is a pretty solid engine and truck for that matter. Mine came with solid front/rear axles and factory locker both front, rear and center. And with a 2.5 OME lift you can fit 35" tires with no body rub. That is what I have and I can out flex my uncle's p38 with a 5" lift by quiet a few inches.
do you know what year they went to IFS in the front on these rigs?

What year is yours?

Are their stock axles ok with 35s?
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old March 22nd, 2008, 05:24 PM
rover4x4's Avatar
rover4x4
Status: Offline
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: The Old North State
Posts: 7,523
Registry
~97 Ifs
__________________
Poor gas mileage gets you to the best places on earth
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old March 22nd, 2008, 05:31 PM
Buckon37s's Avatar
Buckon37s
Status: Offline
Buck
Re-Fendered 90
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Temecula, CA, USA
Posts: 3,376
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gore Ranger
do you know what year they went to IFS in the front on these rigs?

What year is yours?

Are their stock axles ok with 35s?
r+p are fine. Axles and CV's, no. Better than LR though.
__________________
2009 King of the Hammers

BUCK Wild Racing
Driver: Me
Co-driver: Pat Quirk
Team 911

Rover Tracks
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
PSC
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
DJ Safety
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
West Coast Rovers
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reel Driveline
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Made it further than half of the other guys, but the Hammers won.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old March 22nd, 2008, 05:50 PM
lrnasd90's Avatar
lrnasd90
Status: Offline
J. Landers
1983 110 LHD Galvanized Everything
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Beaumont, TX USA
Posts: 618
went to ifs in 98, the are called UZJ100. Also changed engine type to a v8. Supposed to better fuel mileage. Mine is a 1997 Lexus LX450, about 68k miles. I have never had a problem with any part of mine and have not really heard too many people having problems with that set up, a great resource is ih8mud.com.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old March 22nd, 2008, 07:44 PM
shawnpalmer's Avatar
shawnpalmer
Status: Offline
Shawn Palmer
1997 SW-Arles Blue
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Lake Lanier, Ga.
Posts: 1,134
Registry
Go on over to the expedition portal and check them out there. They have a lot of guys with those trucks, they even have a landcruiser section on the forum.
__________________
There is a fine line between hobby and mental illness.

97 D90 SW
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old March 22nd, 2008, 08:07 PM
WhiteD90's Avatar
WhiteD90
Status: Offline
Johnathan Tisdale
93 110, 90 RockRR buggy
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: USA
Posts: 816
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckon37s
r+p are fine. Axles and CV's, no. Better than LR though.
I wheeled with guy at Tellico who was running 38.5" swampers and absolutely flogging his 80. Totally stock outside of the spring lift and sawzall wheel trim.

Have you seen an 80 birf? They are friggin' huge and strong. I'll search for a pic. Come to think of it I also saw the dude who owns Slee Offroad in Las Cruces one year and I saw him bind up a stock rear axle on Nemisis III; the axle twisted nearly 1.5 rotations before it blew like a cannon. He was also running 38+" tires.

IMO 35s and 37s would be totally fine even with a heavy foot on these axles.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old March 22nd, 2008, 08:08 PM
JJB622
Status: Offline
Jimmy Baker
1997 BRG D90
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: CT
Posts: 232
These are the last great land cruisers IMO. They're great cars.. the inline six is a workhorse and should be problem free.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old March 22nd, 2008, 09:08 PM
Buckon37s's Avatar
Buckon37s
Status: Offline
Buck
Re-Fendered 90
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Temecula, CA, USA
Posts: 3,376
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteD90
I wheeled with guy at Tellico who was running 38.5" swampers and absolutely flogging his 80. Totally stock outside of the spring lift and sawzall wheel trim.

Have you seen an 80 birf? They are friggin' huge and strong. I'll search for a pic. Come to think of it I also saw the dude who owns Slee Offroad in Las Cruces one year and I saw him bind up a stock rear axle on Nemisis III; the axle twisted nearly 1.5 rotations before it blew like a cannon. He was also running 38+" tires.

IMO 35s and 37s would be totally fine even with a heavy foot on these axles.
I owned one (under a Nissan). I blew 1 birfs on 33's and 2 on 35's behind a 150HP motor.
__________________
2009 King of the Hammers

BUCK Wild Racing
Driver: Me
Co-driver: Pat Quirk
Team 911

Rover Tracks
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
PSC
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
DJ Safety
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
West Coast Rovers
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reel Driveline
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Made it further than half of the other guys, but the Hammers won.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old March 23rd, 2008, 08:37 PM
WhiteD90's Avatar
WhiteD90
Status: Offline
Johnathan Tisdale
93 110, 90 RockRR buggy
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: USA
Posts: 816
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckon37s
I owned one (under a Nissan). I blew 1 birfs on 33's and 2 on 35's behind a 150HP motor.
I think to the original question, these vehicles are long lasting reliable rigs. Look at any 3rd world country and what they use.

Dave, I'm assuming you either had NO2 in your Nissan or had 2 billion unlubricated miles on your axle parts, or you just had some really bad luck. I think, for the most part, you can search any Toyota board and find that these axles are pretty strong.

Pictures of a 40 series(close in size to a LR CV) vs an 80 series. Granted these are aftermarket versions; but shows the point.

http://forum.ih8mud.com/2374666-post15.html

But hey, what do we care we have 9"s right?!!!
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old March 23rd, 2008, 08:59 PM
Buckon37s's Avatar
Buckon37s
Status: Offline
Buck
Re-Fendered 90
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Temecula, CA, USA
Posts: 3,376
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteD90
I think to the original question, these vehicles are long lasting reliable rigs. Look at any 3rd world country and what they use.

Dave, I'm assuming you either had NO2 in your Nissan or had 2 billion unlubricated miles on your axle parts, or you just had some really bad luck. I think, for the most part, you can search any Toyota board and find that these axles are pretty strong.

Pictures of a 40 series(close in size to a LR CV) vs an 80 series. Granted these are aftermarket versions; but shows the point.

http://forum.ih8mud.com/2374666-post15.html

But hey, what do we care we have 9"s right?!!!
I think it was bad driving on my part. I was learning and you keep these alive by not pounding on it at full lock. The Toy guys have got pretty good at it. It bugged me.
__________________
2009 King of the Hammers

BUCK Wild Racing
Driver: Me
Co-driver: Pat Quirk
Team 911

Rover Tracks
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
PSC
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
DJ Safety
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
West Coast Rovers
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reel Driveline
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Made it further than half of the other guys, but the Hammers won.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:31 AM.


Copyright