Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old March 22nd, 2008, 10:22 AM
Gore Ranger
Jeff
1989 RRC

fzj80

Fellas,

Anybody know anything about the mid 90's Landcruisers?

In particular, many have around 200K miles. What are the motors like on these rigs?

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 22nd, 2008, 11:23 AM
lrnasd90
J. Landers
1983 110 LHD Galvanized Everything

I have one, they are a straight six, and built like a tractor inside (the motor that is). The motor on mine runs so smooth that unless you have the hood up you can't tell it is running. Has as much hp and torque as a stock rover 4.6 and gets about the same mileage. Out there on the ih8mud forum there are guys reporting that they have well over 300k miles with little to no major work. Over all I would say it is a pretty solid engine and truck for that matter. Mine came with solid front/rear axles and factory locker both front, rear and center. And with a 2.5 OME lift you can fit 35" tires with no body rub. That is what I have and I can out flex my uncle's p38 with a 5" lift by quiet a few inches.
Old March 22nd, 2008, 01:37 PM
Davis
Chris Davis
94 NAS D90 6.2LS

Great trucks--my second favorite. The engine drivetrain is the plus on these--body rust is the minus.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 22nd, 2008, 05:14 PM
Gore Ranger
Jeff
1989 RRC

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrnasd90
I have one, they are a straight six, and built like a tractor inside (the motor that is). The motor on mine runs so smooth that unless you have the hood up you can't tell it is running. Has as much hp and torque as a stock rover 4.6 and gets about the same mileage. Out there on the ih8mud forum there are guys reporting that they have well over 300k miles with little to no major work. Over all I would say it is a pretty solid engine and truck for that matter. Mine came with solid front/rear axles and factory locker both front, rear and center. And with a 2.5 OME lift you can fit 35" tires with no body rub. That is what I have and I can out flex my uncle's p38 with a 5" lift by quiet a few inches.
do you know what year they went to IFS in the front on these rigs?

What year is yours?

Are their stock axles ok with 35s?
Old March 22nd, 2008, 05:24 PM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
~97 Ifs
Old March 22nd, 2008, 05:31 PM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gore Ranger
do you know what year they went to IFS in the front on these rigs?

What year is yours?

Are their stock axles ok with 35s?
r+p are fine. Axles and CV's, no. Better than LR though.

BUCK Wild Racing
Driver: Me
Co-driver: Pat Quirk
Team 911

Rover Tracks
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
PSC
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline
Made it further than half of the other guys, but the Hammers won.
Old March 22nd, 2008, 05:50 PM
lrnasd90
J. Landers
1983 110 LHD Galvanized Everything

went to ifs in 98, the are called UZJ100. Also changed engine type to a v8. Supposed to better fuel mileage. Mine is a 1997 Lexus LX450, about 68k miles. I have never had a problem with any part of mine and have not really heard too many people having problems with that set up, a great resource is ih8mud.com.
Old March 22nd, 2008, 07:44 PM
shawnpalmer
Shawn Palmer
1997 SW-Arles Blue

Registry
Go on over to the expedition portal and check them out there. They have a lot of guys with those trucks, they even have a landcruiser section on the forum.

97 D90 SW
Old March 22nd, 2008, 08:07 PM
WhiteD90
Johnathan Tisdale
93 110, 90 RockRR buggy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckon37s
r+p are fine. Axles and CV's, no. Better than LR though.
I wheeled with guy at Tellico who was running 38.5" swampers and absolutely flogging his 80. Totally stock outside of the spring lift and sawzall wheel trim.

Have you seen an 80 birf? They are friggin' huge and strong. I'll search for a pic. Come to think of it I also saw the dude who owns Slee Offroad in Las Cruces one year and I saw him bind up a stock rear axle on Nemisis III; the axle twisted nearly 1.5 rotations before it blew like a cannon. He was also running 38+" tires.

IMO 35s and 37s would be totally fine even with a heavy foot on these axles.
Old March 22nd, 2008, 08:08 PM
JJB622
Jimmy Baker
1997 BRG D90

These are the last great land cruisers IMO. They're great cars.. the inline six is a workhorse and should be problem free.
Old March 22nd, 2008, 09:08 PM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteD90
I wheeled with guy at Tellico who was running 38.5" swampers and absolutely flogging his 80. Totally stock outside of the spring lift and sawzall wheel trim.

Have you seen an 80 birf? They are friggin' huge and strong. I'll search for a pic. Come to think of it I also saw the dude who owns Slee Offroad in Las Cruces one year and I saw him bind up a stock rear axle on Nemisis III; the axle twisted nearly 1.5 rotations before it blew like a cannon. He was also running 38+" tires.

IMO 35s and 37s would be totally fine even with a heavy foot on these axles.
I owned one (under a Nissan). I blew 1 birfs on 33's and 2 on 35's behind a 150HP motor.

BUCK Wild Racing
Team 911

Rover Tracks
PSC
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline
Old March 23rd, 2008, 08:37 PM
WhiteD90
Johnathan Tisdale
93 110, 90 RockRR buggy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckon37s
I owned one (under a Nissan). I blew 1 birfs on 33's and 2 on 35's behind a 150HP motor.
I think to the original question, these vehicles are long lasting reliable rigs. Look at any 3rd world country and what they use.

Dave, I'm assuming you either had NO2 in your Nissan or had 2 billion unlubricated miles on your axle parts, or you just had some really bad luck. I think, for the most part, you can search any Toyota board and find that these axles are pretty strong.

Pictures of a 40 series(close in size to a LR CV) vs an 80 series. Granted these are aftermarket versions; but shows the point.

http://forum.ih8mud.com/2374666-post15.html

But hey, what do we care we have 9"s right?!!!
Old March 23rd, 2008, 08:59 PM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteD90
I think to the original question, these vehicles are long lasting reliable rigs. Look at any 3rd world country and what they use.

Dave, I'm assuming you either had NO2 in your Nissan or had 2 billion unlubricated miles on your axle parts, or you just had some really bad luck. I think, for the most part, you can search any Toyota board and find that these axles are pretty strong.

Pictures of a 40 series(close in size to a LR CV) vs an 80 series. Granted these are aftermarket versions; but shows the point.

http://forum.ih8mud.com/2374666-post15.html

But hey, what do we care we have 9"s right?!!!
I think it was bad driving on my part. I was learning and you keep these alive by not pounding on it at full lock. The Toy guys have got pretty good at it. It bugged me.

BUCK Wild Racing
Team 911

Rover Tracks
PSC
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat