Future Defender News - Page 13 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old September 16th, 2011, 03:10 PM
o2batsea
Bill Adams
66 109 sw 94 lwb

Registry
Look they're in the business of selling cars, not making legends. If the legend thing happens, hey that's gravy, but they need to move iron. That's what businesses are supposed to do. In the past LR has not done very well in market share. They need an approachable, fun, affordable vehicle that will spark sales. Clearly they are not into making the off-roading community happy. They want more than that. You and I might think that thing looks like ass and wheels like a CR-V, but if it brings in big money for LR, then be prepared for more of this.

1966 109 5 door wagon 300Tdi "spermaceti fueled"
1994 RRC LeWiB "ruining the air behind me"
1968 2A 88

All my troubles are Rover
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 16th, 2011, 03:29 PM
Willh
Will Hedrick
Use to own NAS #96, #1778, & #1008

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by o2batsea View Post
Look they're in the business of selling cars, not making legends. If the legend thing happens, hey that's gravy, but they need to move iron. That's what businesses are supposed to do. In the past LR has not done very well in market share. They need an approachable, fun, affordable vehicle that will spark sales. Clearly they are not into making the off-roading community happy. They want more than that. You and I might think that thing looks like ass and wheels like a CR-V, but if it brings in big money for LR, then be prepared for more of this.
I can't say that I disagree with you, but on the other hand here's a recent press release from Chrysler:

http://www.chryslergroupllc.com/en-u...elease2011.pdf

Quoting from the release:

"The Jeep brand continues to roll in 2011 posting a 58 percent sales increase in August, the brand’s best sales volume month since December 2007 and its 16th-consecutive month of year-over-year sales gains. All five Jeep brand models posted a sales increase compared with the same month a year ago.

With 12,949 units sold, the Jeep Wrangler was the top-selling Jeep model in August, and was second only to the Ram pickup truck as the top-selling Chrysler Group model. The Wrangler – the most capable and recognized vehicle in the world – becomes even more capable both on- and off-road for 2012, courtesy of an all-new, more fuel efficient and more powerful 3.6-liter V-6 engine, and a new five-speed automatic transmission – both of which it shares with the award-winning Jeep Grand Cherokee."

So, apparently it is possible to produce and manufacture an exceptional off-road vehicle with mass public appeal that can outsell other models in the brand while staying true to the vehicle's original design. I'm just saying..........

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Please feel free to visit my website at:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote:
Willh is the F'n man! Defender of the Defenders! - Overlander
Old September 16th, 2011, 03:29 PM
Overlander
mark kellgren
in between D's in an 04 D2

Registry
I think there is a danger in Land Rover moving from their Niche into an already overlycrowded crossover market. A lot of businesses fail when they forget their "core compitence". When people don't think of land rover as the one of the best off road vehicles, then it becomes a regular european car, and moves to the back of the line in consideration.

I am worried that a mistep by Land Rover will cause them to lose massive market share to toyota and jeep, that will take years to recover.

if they want to abandone their roots and compete with Lexus and BMW, I think they'll lose over time.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 16th, 2011, 03:47 PM
sonoronos
Ed
None

Registry
This is like a 5-ring superbowl winning linebacker's son growing up to become a transgendered exotic hairdresser.
Old September 16th, 2011, 04:54 PM
Abeer
Amarveer
94 D90 ST

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonoronos View Post
This is like a 5-ring superbowl winning linebacker's son growing up to become a transgendered exotic hairdresser.
You Don't Mess With the Zohan was pretty good.
Old September 16th, 2011, 05:57 PM
bjf
barry f
94 ST #395

Just saw a forward control on the road. I can't wait for it to be redesigned.
Old September 16th, 2011, 06:35 PM
Trigger
Tony Fannin
'94 D-90 #491

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overlander View Post
Seems it would be much cheaper to put a brand new powertrain in then buy a new vehicle. There is a limited list of old parts that wear and cause problems when you are actually talking parts collectively.

And I don't think that Defenders will ever depreciate..ever.
The problem is a new drivetrain doesn't stretch a 90 into a 4-door. For the price of a NAS 110 I could buy a 2-door and a 4-door Rubicon.
Old September 16th, 2011, 09:29 PM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
Will you sold Rovers for years, what was your thoughts on the new models when you were selling them?

I really really like the LWB rubicon in white. Id sell both of my Rovers to get one with a diesel.

I am not sure what Rover thinks, Id love to have a diesel ST 90. Im poor as dirt but would find a way to get one. If jeep can put airbags and crash zones in a wrangler surely rover can too. IMO the Defender is as good looking as the early Jags and Ferraris. Isnt hasn't changed because it hasnt had too. Every vehicle that has had a redesign looks like hell less the corvette, I am not sure how they managed that. The Defender/Series form is on par with the Carrera, the only two designs that have withstood the test of time.

I mean even ford Merc and dodge have tried to go retro...
Old October 17th, 2011, 03:29 AM
DefenderPilot
George
1997 D90 SW

2015 Defender Video. Read the comments haha.

Old October 31st, 2011, 09:18 AM
waveridin1959
Brian Jones
1995 D-90 ST #2892

Registry
http://www.insideline.com/land-rover...ird-world.html

"sometimes we talk too much about the NAS [North American specification] 90 Defender and surfer dudes, and not enough about the Red Cross, Zambia or the Australian Outback. We want to get back to our roots, but it would be nice if in doing so, we can also sell it to the Californian surfer dude."

Apparently we just dont get it with our NAS 90's. The new design is all our fault!

“Human sacrifice, dogs and cats living together… mass hysteria!”
Old October 31st, 2011, 10:10 AM
nathanwind
Jason Lavender
88-90-127-LR3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by waveridin1959 View Post
http://www.insideline.com/land-rover...ird-world.html

"sometimes we talk too much about the NAS [North American specification] 90 Defender and surfer dudes, and not enough about the Red Cross, Zambia or the Australian Outback. We want to get back to our roots, but it would be nice if in doing so, we can also sell it to the Californian surfer dude."

Apparently we just dont get it with our NAS 90's. The new design is all our fault!
"And with a price tag of just $69,998.00 plus tax, title, and tags, we know that the indigenous people of Malawi, Zimbabwe, Madagascar, and other similar countries really will be able to afford this modern state-of-the-art vehicle. And with factory scheduled maintenance at a reasonably priced at $159.95 we know they're going to love it."
'94 90 NAS #324
'06 LR3 HSE

(10% discount for DSource members, use coupon code "D90")

Old October 31st, 2011, 10:39 AM
Stormer
JP
2008 RRSC

Registry
If they gave a damn about the California surfer dude demographic, wouldn't they have found a way to sell them a car in the past 15 years? Given the design they arrived at bears a stronger resemblance to my daughters Malibu Barbie convertible than a Defender makes you wonder what demographic they were targeting.

To say the DC100 in its current form wil be useful to the Red Cross or in Namibia or the Australian Outback is shockingly naive. Having lived and worked in the "Third World", a $40-$70,000 4/5 seat vehicle with nominal additional space for cargo or passengers doesn't fit your average citizens budget or needs. Maybe it's targeting wealthy African, Asian, and South American surfer dudes....
Old October 31st, 2011, 11:45 AM
jvelador
Javier Velador
'95 D90 / '66 IIA

"Overall, the reaction to DC100 reinforced what we wanted to do and told us that we're pretty much on the right track."

Wow. Vurtually all the reaction posts I read on boards and on FB are brutally negative. So this was in fact the desired effect. Piss off the diehards, appeal to the masses. He lucked out with the Mini. My guess is that LR has one shot at making the Defender a huge success and they are going balls out, despite sacrificing capability, utility and true-to-roots design cues. What they fail to realize is that since the Mini is a road car, it does not have the dynamics of any other function (i.e., off road prowess).

Hold in to your Defenders, kids. It's value is sure to increase significantly over the next four years!

Old November 1st, 2011, 12:56 AM
navydevildoc
Neill Thornton
1984 D90 300 Tdi / 1965 Series IIA
Site Team

Registry
The question is, how many of us "California Surfer Dudes" are going to make an appearance at the LA Show?
Old November 1st, 2011, 01:21 AM
jvelador
Javier Velador
'95 D90 / '66 IIA

I'll be there, I'm a California dude. We should show up in droves, have a large Land Rover enthusiast gathering for the launch. Any takers?

And, um... Virtually, I meant to say virtually, not vurtually in my previous post.

Old November 1st, 2011, 11:12 AM
Crash303
Josh Harris
97/ D90 ST #1190

I'm down!!

"They are, in factory original condition, noisy, they leak water in from the top and oil out from underneath, you can never demist the windows in winter, they handle like scaffolding towers, and use more fuel than Beijing." Richard Hammond
Old November 1st, 2011, 11:28 AM
bjf
barry f
94 ST #395

I will go. I used to go for work every year. It's better if you can get in before the general public does. There is something so degrading about the fact that they remove the shift knobs from cars so we don't steal them. I mean they are smart in doing so. I can't tell you how much of an adrenalin rush it is to steal a Nissan stanza emergency brake lever.
Old November 1st, 2011, 12:40 PM
dlane
David Lane
1997 AA Yellow #1147

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by jvelador View Post
I'll be there, I'm a California dude. We should show up in droves, have a large Land Rover enthusiast gathering for the launch. Any takers?
And I hope what you mean by "gathering", you really mean protest!
Old November 1st, 2011, 02:56 PM
Defender90_218
Trenton Smith
1997 D90

I was talking to someone about this the other day, and I have had several people tell me that they felt that there is still enough worldwide demand to allow the defender to branch off as an independent group. Maybe not spend all their time marketing the old style but do something that lets it still be available to the groups around the world that want it.
Old November 1st, 2011, 11:44 PM
jvelador
Javier Velador
'95 D90 / '66 IIA

You know, I live a block away from Icon 4x4. Don't tempt me to walk over to Mr. Ward and make a sacrilegious proposal. If he were interested, I'd be willing to buy an old Series IIA or III, drop it off and see what he can do to it.

That's 3 people so far. Who else in SoCal wants to join?

Think I'll start another thread focused on a gathering for the LA Auto show. (good tip, Barry). @David lol! Yes, a protest of sorts.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Tags
news