Ft Collins vs. Denver - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old April 3rd, 2010, 01:04 AM
jaygoss
Jay Goss
'60 Series II Station Wagon

Ft Collins vs. Denver

I was recently asked if I'd consider moving to work in Ft Collins, CO (I'm presently in the Denver area). I keep reading about how it ranks as one of the best places to live in the West. I'm a 38y.o. who is recently engaged, thinking about a family in the near future, etc. I'm of course into Rovers but also outdoor activities (mtn biking, cycling, hiking, camping, etc) I know there are a lot of D90 guys from CO and I'm hoping someone on this board may have lived in both Denver and Ft Collins and might be willing to share some insight as to the pros and cons of Ft Collins vs Denver. I'm not particularly in love with Denver, so the thought of a new start in a new place appeals to me- I'm just a bit reluctant to jump ship without some "inside info". I'll be heading up there tomorrow to ride around with a real estate agent...who needs to sell the community to sell a house, so it may be a situation where there's a bit of bias involved. Any words of wisdom?
1971 SIIa SWB (sold)
2000 Disco SII (sold)
1995 RR Classic SWB TWR edition (sold)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 3rd, 2010, 07:15 AM
Wolf Fabrication
Sterling Archer
'08 D3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Jay, I was born and raised in CO (Broomfield), went to CU Boulder, and would kill (literally) to go back. Ft Collins would be at the top of my list. As you might know, it's really grown over the past few years and is no longer a small town. It does retain that "small town" feel though due to it's separation from the Denver Metro area. It's still close to the mountains and even closer to WY. I'd much rather live north of Denver than south, like CO Springs.

Good luck, and whatever you decide, Grover will support you.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Semper Fi!
Old April 3rd, 2010, 09:34 AM
dave_lucas
Dave Lucas
None

I lived in Fort Collins for a long time and in the past few years have been living in the Denver area.

The only reason we relocated to Denver was due to the lack of jobs and ability to grow in our careers. My wife is a Chemical Engineer and I work in IT, the area has been hit hard by companies closing or relocating jobs making it hard to advance or find new work with a future.

There is fierce competition for what engineering / high tech jobs are available and they are typically in older dying industries. I would say that 70% of my friends / family from the Ft Collins area have either moved to the Denver area, commute to Denver / Boulder for work or are currently unemployed.

It is a wonderful town and a nice place to live. It is a laid back easy going town, people are nice and I never worried about crime. It has the college town feel without being a big party town and unlike Boulder it is not covered by the smell of Patchouli oil
Or a bunch of annoying little trustafarians.

I am sure there are deals to be had on housing at the moment since so many people have been forced to relocate and have lost their jobs. We had our house on the market for about 1 years before it sold and when it did we took a big hit on it.

Our house was at Horsetooth Lake, it was a really nice place to live. We were 10 mins from town but you feel like you are living in the mountains.

There is a bunch of Mt Biking and road biking around Horsetooth Lake, you can also camp, boat and hike in the area. There are a few 4x4 trails in the area as well.

Another thing to consider...

No LR mechanics in the area, you need to do your own work or be prepared to make the trip to the Denver / Boulder area.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 4th, 2010, 12:52 AM
jaygoss
Jay Goss

Thanks guys for the input. I spent the day driving around with a coworker in Ft Collins and a realtor in Golden. I'm leaning towards settling in Golden at this point, so Dave- we'll have to grab a beer at some point if that happens!
1971 SIIa SWB (sold)
2000 Disco SII (sold)
Old April 4th, 2010, 02:13 AM
bharris
Brad Harris
1994 d90 300tdi "Nola"

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaygoss View Post
Thanks guys for the input. I spent the day driving around with a coworker in Ft Collins and a realtor in Golden. I'm leaning towards settling in Golden at this point, so Dave- we'll have to grab a beer at some point if that happens!
Golden is a great place... my house will be on the market next week
Old April 4th, 2010, 10:10 AM
jaygoss
Jay Goss

Quote:
Originally Posted by bharris View Post
Golden is a great place... my house will be on the market next week
Pm'd ya Brad.
1971 SIIa SWB (sold)
2000 Disco SII (sold)
Old April 4th, 2010, 10:54 AM
Davis
Chris Davis
94 NAS D90 6.2LS

Don't think a D90 "house hook up" has happened before! That would be too cool. Dave is moving, too--not sure if he sold his house, but it is in a sweet location, right next to North Table a popular climbing cliff band. Love that area, climbing is good, too, for short 1-pitch stuff.
Old April 4th, 2010, 11:14 AM
bstraw
Byron Straw
1994 POE/ST

Jay,
Get in touch with me if you are still considering Fort Collins. I have lived here for the past 4 years and can probably answer some of your questions. Congratulations on the engagement!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat