Frowned upon? - Page 2 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old October 6th, 2012, 10:10 PM
koltonstanley
Kolton Stanley
defender 130 hi cap

Registry
thanks nathan! it is the truck from RMR......
the tires are 255/85 mud terrain

my wife is reading this and wants everyone to know she ALSO recently flew out to colorado and drove home in the 130! haha

------ Follow up post added October 6th, 2012 10:12 PM ------

and yes last but not least im fine with keeping this a "LAND ROVER" registry and forum......as far as NAS trucks only i think that would be a waste.....i too had a 94 nas 90 and moved on from there.....loved the truck and now love my non nas 130.........
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 7th, 2012, 06:29 AM
GaryBaxter
Gary Baxter
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miller
Could someone please explain the rationale for making the registry exclusive to NAS only Defenders, versus all Defenders? I get it, NAS Defenders are exclusive. Good for you that own them. You could still add a filter to the registry to sort the data to show ROW vs UK vs NAS trucks. I think we'd stand to lose a lot of good data on ROW trucks for the sake of homogenizing the registry to the NAS only club.
I can explain my rationale. The line has to be drawn somewhere and drawing it at NAS Defenders makes sense to me. Otherwise that line goes inevitably to ROW Defenders, Series trucks, RRCs (all of which seem OK to me,) then Discoverys, P38s, Freelanders, etc. Then what, Suzuki Samarais and Jeeps?

I'm not saying membership should be limited; the most knowledgeable Roverphile I know does not currently have a NAS Defender - just the registry. No elitism or snobbery involved on my part, just suggesting a logical limitation.
Old October 7th, 2012, 07:59 AM
Overlander
mark kellgren
in between D's in an 04 D2

Registry
Time for a poll!

ISIL and al qaeda can go F*ck themselves...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 7th, 2012, 08:01 AM
Stormer
JP
2008 RRSC

Registry
I agree with Jon. As an ROW owner, i like having the registry include ROW trucks as people are more willing to modify them vs NAS rigs and it's interesting to see what people have done. Very simple to include a drop down for NAS/number to get the NAS registry done. Plus it lets me know whether Lavender or I own more Land Rovers on any given day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miller View Post
Could someone please explain the rationale for making the registry exclusive to NAS only Defenders, versus all Defenders? I get it, NAS Defenders are exclusive. Good for you that own them. You could still add a filter to the registry to sort the data to show ROW vs UK vs NAS trucks. I think we'd stand to lose a lot of good data on ROW trucks for the sake of homogenizing the registry to the NAS only club.
Old October 7th, 2012, 08:03 AM
Reese_D90
Reese
97 D90 ST and 93 D110

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy R View Post
Pinz looks pretty bad ass!

I actually brought up a similar topic with the mod/admin team but I was suggesting we re-tool the Registry to dial it in for Defenders only. Here is the post I made:There was some initial caution about this and I followed up with the following:So what do you all think?
Andy's post yesterday is the way to fix this. There is a simple search feature in the Registry that allows you to see only the truck you want in a search. It needs to be re-organized so if you want to only see 110s, thats all you see. Currently, this is a user defined field and it's not consistent as opposed to a predefined drop down list. This way, if we wanted to limit the options on whats included in the registry to say just land rovers you could. I am inclined to only see Land Rovers in this registry.
NAS 1993 D110 CDN #11/25
1997 D90 ST #1953
2006 Range Rover
1997 D90 SW #701 (sold)
1995 D90 ST (sold)
Old October 7th, 2012, 08:22 AM
Andy R
Andy R
Site Team

I was never suggesting NAS only, it would be an option and NAS owners would be able to filter to see only NAS trucks. My suggestion was to make it Series & Defender only because we could then hone in all the options from the various years which would provide a great way to search. We could do this for other Rover models as well but this is the Defender Source, not Land Rover Source. My thinking was we do one topic and we do it well.
Old October 7th, 2012, 08:25 AM
rijosho
Joshua
1995 Black ST - Rhinolined edition
Research Assistant/Eagle Eyes

Registry
How about NAS Defenders only with clean titles? I think that'd be ideal ::sarcasm::

This forum has morphed from members with Defender 90s to members owning 110s, NAS and non-NAS, completely stock to rock crawlers, members who have grown up with a Defender then bought a Series, RRC, Disco I and II's, have had kids and own an LR3/LR4, etc., members who don't own Defenders and maybe never will (Roving Beetle) but who can offer technical advice. The registry gives all of these types of members a place to showcase what we're all trying to do - keep these trucks alive and on the road. And it shows that there is more than one model of Land Rover - and that many of us own multiple models tailored to handle different aspects of life.
Old October 7th, 2012, 09:04 AM
leastonce
Jason England
D-90 White 95 SW #65
Site Team

Registry
Have fixed drop down options if its a NAS truck and more free form options for non-NAS vehicles.

SELECT * FROM VEHICLE_TYPE="NASDefender"
Cat Camping Collective founding member and Chief Executive Officer
Old October 7th, 2012, 10:55 AM
Andy R
Andy R
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by leastonce View Post
Have fixed drop down options if its a NAS truck and more free form options for non-NAS vehicles.
I think this would be the way to go but drop downs for Series & Defenders (NAS would be an option). If it's not one of these then we can allow free form text to be submitted. This would allow us to have a clean database on the primary focus of our community but also allow other vehicles.
Old October 7th, 2012, 11:11 AM
nathanwind
Jason Lavender
88-90-127-LR3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSBriggs View Post
Really its a can of worms that will divide ratrher than bring together, so I say leave it.

-Jeff
Exactly! The registry - here on D-90 - was never meant to be specifically NAS. It was just a way for folks to show their trucks...making it NAS specific would be a total waste (as someone who owns a NAS as well). I enjoy checking out the NAS trucks, but more enjoy checking out the other ride - Kolton's 130 for example I spotted in the rotating icon panel on the right and had not seen it before on here and was glad I did...it's a cool ride (cooler than any NAS in my opinion).
'94 90 NAS #324
'06 LR3 HSE

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

(10% discount for DSource members, use coupon code "D90")

Old October 7th, 2012, 12:05 PM
Ray_G
Ray Gerber
54 S1 86", 96 D1 (Coyote), 06 D3

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSBriggs View Post

Really its a can of worms that will divide ratrher than bring together, so I say leave it.

-Jeff
Solid.

I.e. why would the site keep Series trucks in here, aside from similar horrible aerodynamics there is no more lineage there than RRC or the Discovery line. The claiming of Series trucks b/c they look the kinda the same (except for FC's) ignores that RRC's came along well before Defenders and thus rightly deserve their place. Or, as I often find myself using to continue passive aggressive rivalry, the Discovery represents a key moment in time where-absent that truck-LR would likely be in the dustbin of history b/c the Defender wasn't going to get it done, esp in North America.

Gotta draw a line somewhere, or quite frankly draw in nowhere and let people search/filter.
Old October 7th, 2012, 12:11 PM
leastonce
Jason England
D-90 White 95 SW #65
Site Team

Registry
Let everyone in! It's not like storage costs money these days.
Cat Camping Collective founding member and Chief Executive Officer
Old October 7th, 2012, 01:07 PM
woldd90
Scott
1997 D90 ST #1444
Site Team

I think we should allow all things Rover, and a few unique trucks... but, no Jeeps! :-)

As mentioned earlier, with a drop down, we could easily have a NAS registry.

Old October 7th, 2012, 01:17 PM
1962siia88
Daniel Rogers
1962siia88

Registry
I understand the desire to have the registry be for defenders only but if that ends up happening can we still have a members other land rovers pic place too? I also like the rotating pics on the side bar and if the registry changes please make the rotating pics include more than just defenders. Non-defender owning member (does my 110 rolling chassis count?) 2 cents!

Daniel
Old October 7th, 2012, 01:27 PM
grnrvrs
Paul

Defender only? Lame.
NAS 90? Uber lame.

There are many really cool LRs that don't fit those categories. Make it a big tent where any LR is welcome. The granularity of the categorization may be important, as there are more localizations that just, UK, NAS, & ROW.
Old October 7th, 2012, 01:33 PM
Miller
Jon Miller
'85 ROW 110 SW

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryBaxter View Post
I can explain my rationale. The line has to be drawn somewhere and drawing it at NAS Defenders makes sense to me. Otherwise that line goes inevitably to ROW Defenders, Series trucks, RRCs (all of which seem OK to me,) then Discoverys, P38s, Freelanders, etc. Then what, Suzuki Samarais and Jeeps?

I'm not saying membership should be limited; the most knowledgeable Roverphile I know does not currently have a NAS Defender - just the registry. No elitism or snobbery involved on my part, just suggesting a logical limitation.
I understand drawing a line somewhere, but this still doesn't explain why it should be drawn at NAS trucks. May be a very subjective question for some, but is there really a huge difference between NAS, ROW, and UK spec trucks? A numbered badge, DOT-legal parking and tail lights and a roll cage? Still made at Solihull along with its less exclusive brethren. What do we stand to gain by limiting the registry to NAS trucks, other than drawing a line in the sand?

- Jon
Old October 7th, 2012, 02:19 PM
Wolf Fabrication
Sterling Archer
'08 D3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
You all need to turn off your computers and smartphones and go outside, play with your kids, or watch some of the awesome football or baseball games today.

Semper Fi!
Old October 7th, 2012, 02:42 PM
JohnsD90
John
74 SIII 88", 88 110, 91 110

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf Fabrication View Post
You all need to turn off your computers and smartphones and go outside, play with your kids, or watch some of the awesome football or baseball games today.
It's raining out here.
Old October 7th, 2012, 02:53 PM
Stormer
JP
2008 RRSC

Registry
Outside? It's 50 degrees and raining. I have the kids coloring.

http://coloringpages.8a8.co/index.ph..._COLORING_PAGE

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnsD90 View Post
It's raining out here.
Old October 7th, 2012, 04:41 PM
Miller
Jon Miller
'85 ROW 110 SW

Registry
Multi-tasking here. Gardening with my wife, and cleaning up the bonnet with my 4-year old. Awesome weather here in lower Alabama! We can actually work outside without collapsing from the heat.

- Jon

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat