Front Suspension - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old July 30th, 2004, 10:48 PM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

Front Suspension

Keith just reminded me that I was going to post pictures of the front suspension that I was so content with. I forgot, but here it is. I have had some major issues to work out with the build of this truck but the suspension I am VERY happy with. The best part is this is very easy and a good fab shop could do it for about $100. It cures all the binding issues that the radius arms cause but still lets you cruise quite well in corners with no sway bar. I mounted the arms over the axle because I had room with the coilovers but you could also leave them below for the stock coils. I think it is a great solution that you could do for cheap and it has no ill affects like the "other" solution. All that is left to do is get some very long shocks. I max out every inch of the 14in coilovers very easy. The frame mounts are bone stock. So is the drivers side radius arm so only the other radius arm has been changed.

Dave

PS: There is one pic of the stock one and 2 of the modified one.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010157.JPG
Views:	347
Size:	67.3 KB
ID:	1137   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010158.JPG
Views:	362
Size:	68.1 KB
ID:	1138  

Name:	P1010159.JPG
Views:	340
Size:	66.3 KB
ID:	1139  

BUCK Wild Racing
Driver: Me
Co-driver: Pat Quirk
Team 911

Rover Tracks
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
PSC
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline
Made it further than half of the other guys, but the Hammers won.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 30th, 2004, 11:48 PM
WhiteD90
Johnathan Tisdale
93 110, 90 RockRR buggy

Quote:
All that is left to do is get some very long shocks. I max out every inch of the 14in coilovers very easy.

Dave

PS: There is one pic of the stock one and 2 of the modified one.
Talk is cheap, post some pics!

Tis
Old July 31st, 2004, 12:34 AM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

Fine! I'll go out tomarrow and max it. Probably break my super high tech tie rod in the process too!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	P1010162.JPG
Views:	380
Size:	68.7 KB
ID:	1140  

BUCK Wild Racing
Team 911

Rover Tracks
PSC
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 31st, 2004, 10:25 AM
dmarchand
David Marchand
'97 D90 SW Arles

Registry
Is that tie rod titanium?

Sign me up.
Old July 31st, 2004, 02:01 PM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

Adamanthium

BUCK Wild Racing
Team 911

Rover Tracks
PSC
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline
Old July 31st, 2004, 02:14 PM
TwisteD90
Yousef Hamzeh
06 RR SC, 06 LR3, 94 D90

Holly cow.... Who build this tie rod????? How come you didn't go with offset tie rod?

How about some pictures of the upper mounts.

BTW, I'll be in San Diego soon and I'll be staying a few houses away from you Hope we get together for a drink

Follow-up Post:

Also, how much of an exposed rod you have on your front shock?
Old July 31st, 2004, 08:24 PM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

The tie rod was never meant to do any more than get me home from Phoenix. I am in the process of getting it swapped out but times got kinda crazy with me switching jobs and I parked the truck for a while. That tie rod was built by NSO. Nuf said. OK, now I have to get pictures of the upper mounts too

It would be truely awesome to meet you! Call me when you get close. I will PM you my ##

Exposed rod??? Damn, there are kids reading this, keep it clean man.

But seriously, what do you mean?

BUCK Wild Racing
Team 911

Rover Tracks
PSC
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline
Old August 1st, 2004, 12:43 AM
redrover

More -more
Old August 1st, 2004, 05:11 PM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

I went out this afternoon and did some poseur shots of the truck. Take a close look at the compressed coilover. I still have a full 3in of uptravel that is not being used. The spring rates and shock charging are too high because I am mounting a winch and bumper on the front that was taken into account on the springs but has not been put on yet. That should take care of the extra travel. And I have a new problem now, a leaking front air locker. Great, now I need to get back out there and pull it apart again.

Follow-up Post:

Yousef,

Here are the upper coil mounts. It is pretty simple. The lower frame mounts bolt into the steering box holes on both sides. Then they go up and bolt into the firewall and around the back of the engine to connect eachother for strenth. On teh V8, you could connect them further forword in the bay but on the TDi there was not enough clearance in my hood to do it. The pics kinda suck, but here you go.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	P1010165.JPG
Views:	307
Size:	66.2 KB
ID:	1142   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010164.JPG
Views:	291
Size:	73.8 KB
ID:	1143  

Name:	P1010168.JPG
Views:	304
Size:	69.2 KB
ID:	1144   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010166.JPG
Views:	295
Size:	67.1 KB
ID:	1145  

Name:	P1010163.JPG
Views:	260
Size:	67.0 KB
ID:	1146   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010169.JPG
Views:	267
Size:	75.3 KB
ID:	1147  

Name:	P1010170.JPG
Views:	285
Size:	73.8 KB
ID:	1148   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010171.JPG
Views:	264
Size:	76.4 KB
ID:	1149  

Name:	P1010172.JPG
Views:	271
Size:	75.5 KB
ID:	1150   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010173.JPG
Views:	251
Size:	74.1 KB
ID:	1151  

BUCK Wild Racing
Team 911

Rover Tracks
PSC
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline
Old August 1st, 2004, 05:37 PM
TDI Guy
Randy
2015 LR4
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Nice....
Old August 1st, 2004, 10:08 PM
Noah
Noah
95 D90 TDI

man, it must be nice to live somewhere where you can keep your truck that clean.
Old August 1st, 2004, 11:16 PM
revor
Keith Kreutzer
Old beat up 110
D-90 Source Vendor

Thanks for the pics Dave! I wondered if that was what had been done...
The truck looks great! Be sure to give a call if you need anything..

Later
Keith

Big, Red and ... aaa Red..
Old August 2nd, 2004, 08:53 AM
WhiteD90
Johnathan Tisdale
93 110, 90 RockRR buggy

looks like your brake line has become a limit strap

Tis
Old August 2nd, 2004, 12:35 PM
TwisteD90
Yousef Hamzeh
06 RR SC, 06 LR3, 94 D90

How about more pictures of the coil over mount. I can see one side is bolted but what about the other end?

How the hell am I going to explain the "exposed rod"? Ok If you look at the picture of your beautiful tie rod, you'll see the shiny rod that's coming out if the shock??? Damn that's even worse. Never mind.
Old August 2nd, 2004, 08:44 PM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

I only show my exposed rod to my wife. But really, it's 6in on the shock.

BUCK Wild Racing
Team 911

Rover Tracks
PSC
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline
Old November 26th, 2006, 02:17 AM
sajidd
Sajid Dadabhoy

can someone advise me approx cost involved in having a coilover set up ? what are the advantages ? disadvantages? how is the roaad ride quality? handing? I am interested in this kind of a suspension set up.

Regrds
Sajidd
Old November 26th, 2006, 08:19 PM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

Quote:
Originally Posted by sajidd
can someone advise me approx cost involved in having a coilover set up ? what are the advantages ? disadvantages? how is the roaad ride quality? handing? I am interested in this kind of a suspension set up.

Regrds
Sajidd
Hello,

I think that I am the last one left running coilovers on this site, since Yousef sold his Defender. Thats why you are not getting many replies. Anyway, here's a basic cost breakdown, assuming you are going with one of the reasonably priced shocks (SAW, FOX).

Coilovers: $450 each with springs complete
Mounting: Really depends on if you do it yourself, and I have no idea what fab work goes for in Pakistan! You need a modified lower mount (very simple). And a modified upper mount (kinda difficult do to space restrictions). Its about $300 here for a pro to do it.
Travel: To get the travel out of it you need to modify the front end link system. A common fix for that here is the 3-link which I think is $600 so lets go with that figure.

So, if you just go through normal channels you are looking at $1800 or so.

Advantages: Everything. Seriously, they excel at almost everything. Lighter, more compact, more travel, multiple spring rates, adjustable ride height, and bling. They are great on the street, great in the rocks, great at high speed and great at slow speed (you can adjust when you want the stiffer spring to compress just by turning a nut).

Disadvantages: Price!

I hope this helps. If you want to do some more reading there is a massive amount of info in www.pirate4x4.com Good luck.

BUCK Wild Racing
Team 911

Rover Tracks
PSC
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline
Old November 27th, 2006, 01:02 AM
sajidd
Sajid Dadabhoy

Hi David,

For sure the info helps. The cost is within my over all budget but I am not ready to ditch my ARB shocks and springs as they are not even year old. I am however going with some kind of a dual shock system to compliment the current set up.

The shocks that i am considering are Ranchos 9000 series shocks. Perhaps the 9012 or regular 99159/57.

Thanks for your help again.

Sajidd

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Tags
front suspension