Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old May 12th, 2016, 04:42 PM
Brentflyfish
Brent McDonald
1988 LHD 110 SW

Registry
Front runner roof rack question

I currently have a larger basket style rack for my 110 that creates a fair amount of wind noise and am interested in the lower profile of the front runner slim line models. Do any of you have them and are they as loud as the basket style racks? How do you like it?

This is my current setup.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3455617164.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	613.7 KB
ID:	149398  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 12th, 2016, 04:59 PM
coffee
John Oates
1993 NAS Defender 110 #367/500

Registry
I researched the same and was told there is some noise (not personally confirmed) from the frontrunner racks due to the fact that the bars run across the vehicle as opposed to lengthwise like the Hannibal racks, which create no noise, or if they do, not greater than my tire noise so I never hear it!
Old May 12th, 2016, 05:02 PM
LostChord
Brian
86 D110 SW

Registry
I have one, but hearing wind noise is a goal of mine with a 200Tdi.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 12th, 2016, 06:08 PM
Jonesy
Craig
87 D110 (Ruby)

Registry
I have only driven a series with a galvy brownchurch rack so cant compare.....but i dont hear the rack noise over the engine and road noise

I like the front runner for many other reasons though....I would expect it is quiter - as it is low profile compared to anything else out there.
Old May 12th, 2016, 08:11 PM
Mybluett
Defenders Northwest
110SW
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
If the FR is installed with the wind deflectors it is one of the more quiet racks available. If you are always running the rack empty then you will notice a difference - if you usually have something up there then less so.

Tire selection makes a larger impact on road noise though so be cognizant of the amount of gains you will see. We are a FR dealer and I've installed a dozen racks the past year and yet I still run a G4 rack on my own 110... Though I always have a tent on top so the rack provides protection for the leading edge of the tent/buckles, and a place to mount lights.

On the 130 we run FrontRunner cross bars and when rebuilt I plan to move the FR rack from the bed to the roof.
Old May 12th, 2016, 10:49 PM
Rugbier
Gustavo
110 Tdi - 110 N/A - D3 HSE - RRS SC

Registry
^
|

This, I have one ( I got through Brian @ DNW ) and first I had the wind deflector on, now I have a 52" Cree light bar , it is still quiet, can't tell the difference, I assure you my LR3 with Factory roof rack makes 10 times more noise
Old May 13th, 2016, 12:10 AM
Brentflyfish
Brent McDonald
1988 LHD 110 SW

Registry
That is helpful. Without my rack my truck is pretty civilized. I can even talk on the phone. With the rack it is rather loud.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat