Free Series III - Page 2 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Join the Defender Source Community Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #21  
Old September 23rd, 2016, 09:39 AM
Shiftonthefly1
Status: Online
Ben
97 Disco
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: LasVegas
Posts: 90
Omg. Dream come true right there
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #22  
Old September 23rd, 2016, 09:40 AM
MM3846's Avatar
MM3846
Status: Offline
Adam
95 D1
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: LI, NY
Posts: 73
still no response from this dude.
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #23  
Old September 23rd, 2016, 10:05 AM
JohnsD90's Avatar
JohnsD90
Status: Offline
John
74 SIII 88", 88 110, 91 110
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: CT
Posts: 2,229
Registry
While I plan to help my friends who PM'd on this, I hope everyone does realize that the chances of this being a good basis for anything other than a full blown frame/bulkhead and drivetrain overhaul is very low.

I would expect to spend $5-8k minimum in parts just getting this solid, and if you look at the series market, you might just find that when you look at series truck for sale for $6-10k you will find they are generally trucks that someone dumped far more money than that into, and in the end it's better to just save up $8k and buy one someone else swapped the frame on already.

So just know that you're not gonna rebuild the carb and fill the tires up with air and it's good to go.
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #24  
Old September 23rd, 2016, 10:13 AM
phoenix37's Avatar
phoenix37
Status: Online
john
97 D90 ST / 1957 S1 109/ 1983 LS110
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Venice, CA/Yarmouth,ME
Posts: 5,111
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnsD90 View Post
While I plan to help my friends who PM'd on this, I hope everyone does realize that the chances of this being a good basis for anything other than a full blown frame/bulkhead and drivetrain overhaul is very low.

I would expect to spend $5-8k minimum in parts just getting this solid, and if you look at the series market, you might just find that when you look at series truck for sale for $6-10k you will find they are generally trucks that someone dumped far more money than that into, and in the end it's better to just save up $8k and buy one someone else swapped the frame on already.

So just know that you're not gonna rebuild the carb and fill the tires up with air and it's good to go.
... brakes and fuel pump will be shot but fresh battery and gas and id be willing to bet it will start and run. dragged quite a few trucks home that had been sitting outside for years and after a couple hours you can always get them running.
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old September 23rd, 2016, 10:49 AM
MM3846's Avatar
MM3846
Status: Offline
Adam
95 D1
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: LI, NY
Posts: 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSBriggs View Post
Well, you are 6th in line...

-Jeff
No one else has posted that they have communicated with OP and are on their way to get it, either
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old September 23rd, 2016, 11:17 AM
rijosho's Avatar
rijosho
Status: Offline
Joshua
1995 Black ST - Rhinolined edition
Research Assistant/Eagle Eyes
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: NYC
Posts: 16,557
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by MM3846 View Post
No one else has posted that they have communicated with OP and are on their way to get it, either
Not sure you saw this but it didn't appear he he had the exact location yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpodles7 View Post
I didn't personally find it, a friends father did. I will get the exact location soon and post it.
Either way I wouldn't touch this with a 10 foot pole just yet. Reminds me of this thread. Not sure the DMV has a "finders keepers" checkbox on their title forms...

http://www.defendersource.com/forum/...uck-54509.html
__________________
Quote:
I am talking purely from an aesthetics standpoint.
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old September 23rd, 2016, 11:20 AM
transientmechanic's Avatar
transientmechanic
Status: Offline
Adam
1972 SIII
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 786
I am getting a kick out of this. Someone "found it". And that means its free? Someone owns it. Probably not the guy that "found" it. Beware.
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old September 23rd, 2016, 11:21 AM
classic4x4
Status: Offline
J
Defender
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: CT
Posts: 123
I dont have the exact location yet. All i know right now is that it is in woods in Irvington New York. My friends father fount it. I will update as soon as i find out

------ Follow up post added September 23rd, 2016 10:25 AM ------

Quote:
Originally Posted by transientmechanic View Post
I am getting a kick out of this. Someone "found it". And that means its free? Someone owns it. Probably not the guy that "found" it. Beware.
Notice i started with "abandoned?" the vehicle has probably sat there for well near a decade and its in the middle of the woods. If someone owns it i doubt they'd want to let it go for anything more than a penny. It seems to me like it was abandoned and nobody had pulled it out yet.
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old September 23rd, 2016, 11:36 AM
transientmechanic's Avatar
transientmechanic
Status: Offline
Adam
1972 SIII
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 786
And you're qualified to make that assertation how?

"In the middle of the woods" - whose woods?
"Abandoned?" - by who?

FREE! by you.

Shady.
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old September 23rd, 2016, 11:43 AM
down_shift's Avatar
down_shift
Status: Offline
Russell
94' D90 ST & 06' LR3
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Leesburg, VA
Posts: 3,966
Registry
If 'abandoned' on private property, it is up to the property owner. So is this on private, state or Federal land?
Reply With Quote
  #31  
Old September 23rd, 2016, 11:43 AM
classic4x4
Status: Offline
J
Defender
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: CT
Posts: 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by transientmechanic View Post
And you're qualified to make that assertation how?

"In the middle of the woods" - whose woods?
"Abandoned?" - by who?

FREE! by you.

Shady.
I didn't post this for any reason other than the possibility of pulling this out, saving a land rover, and offering someone a great possibility for a rover project. All good intentions. Now I am not saying "go into the woods and drag it out no questions asked" it will obviously require some level of investigation, something one would assume any well rounded individual could infer. Unless you have something positive or helpful to contribute to this discussion I would suggest you put the attitude in reverse.

------ Follow up post added September 23rd, 2016 10:45 AM ------

Quote:
Originally Posted by down_shift View Post
If 'abandoned' on private property, it is up to the property owner. So is this on private, state or Federal land?
My friend's father was walking on public woodland trails, this is why I believe it to be abandoned as its not on someones property, good point, I should have added that earlier
Reply With Quote
  #32  
Old September 23rd, 2016, 11:48 AM
MM3846's Avatar
MM3846
Status: Offline
Adam
95 D1
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: LI, NY
Posts: 73
Theres no way a truck is sitting in that good of shape on public property, especially in the northeast.

100% on someone's land. This is getting weird now. Get the VIN, then this becomes something more than a "Hey, steal this truck" thread.
Reply With Quote
  #33  
Old September 23rd, 2016, 11:53 AM
classic4x4
Status: Offline
J
Defender
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: CT
Posts: 123
As I've said before, all I know is that my friends father was hiking on public trails and found this. I told the first person who Pm'd me that they will be first to know the location when I find out
Reply With Quote
  #34  
Old September 23rd, 2016, 11:58 AM
MM3846's Avatar
MM3846
Status: Offline
Adam
95 D1
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: LI, NY
Posts: 73
Reply With Quote
  #35  
Old September 23rd, 2016, 11:59 AM
transientmechanic's Avatar
transientmechanic
Status: Offline
Adam
1972 SIII
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 786
I believe I've added the most useful content to this thread. You are very much backpedaling off your thread title and first post which absolutely imply that you have the authority to offer this vehicle.

You posted in the for sale section. You specified a price (free). You are taking people in line to come get it.

People break the law with good intentions all the time. Anybody who "has a trailer ready" to come get it needs to be aware of the full situation and if pressed in court would surely finger you as the person who granted the authority to "come get it".

Shady.
Reply With Quote
  #36  
Old September 23rd, 2016, 12:00 PM
classic4x4
Status: Offline
J
Defender
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: CT
Posts: 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by MM3846 View Post
Theres no way a truck is sitting in that good of shape on public property, especially in the northeast.

100% on someone's land. This is getting weird now. Get the VIN, then this becomes something more than a "Hey, steal this truck" thread.
Again...

Dont live near the truck,

Dont know the exact location,

Dont want to drive hours to get you a vin when you're 6th in line

I thought i made it clear to you after your numerous PM's that i was doing the best I can to find out where this truck is.
Reply With Quote
  #37  
Old September 23rd, 2016, 12:01 PM
tjfslaughter's Avatar
tjfslaughter
Status: Offline
thomas
Burbon
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: NorthEast
Posts: 4,490
Glad I didn't Lick this.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #38  
Old September 23rd, 2016, 12:01 PM
classic4x4
Status: Offline
J
Defender
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: CT
Posts: 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by transientmechanic View Post
I believe I've added the most useful content to this thread. You are very much backpedaling off your thread title and first post which absolutely imply that you have the authority to offer this vehicle.

You posted in the for sale section. You specified a price (free). You are taking people in line to come get it.

People break the law with good intentions all the time. Anybody who "has a trailer ready" to come get it needs to be aware of the full situation and if pressed in court would surely finger you as the person who granted the authority to "come get it".

Shady.
When I figure out the location I will tell the nice gentleman who PM'd me. Until then patience is a virtue

------ Follow up post added September 23rd, 2016 11:07 AM ------

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnsD90 View Post
While I plan to help my friends who PM'd on this, I hope everyone does realize that the chances of this being a good basis for anything other than a full blown frame/bulkhead and drivetrain overhaul is very low.

I would expect to spend $5-8k minimum in parts just getting this solid, and if you look at the series market, you might just find that when you look at series truck for sale for $6-10k you will find they are generally trucks that someone dumped far more money than that into, and in the end it's better to just save up $8k and buy one someone else swapped the frame on already.

So just know that you're not gonna rebuild the carb and fill the tires up with air and it's good to go.
Agreed, this is really helpful, I would put a good deal of money on it needing a new chassis
Reply With Quote
  #39  
Old September 23rd, 2016, 12:08 PM
transientmechanic's Avatar
transientmechanic
Status: Offline
Adam
1972 SIII
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 786
Found it.

Let the race begin.
Reply With Quote
  #40  
Old September 23rd, 2016, 12:09 PM
phoenix37's Avatar
phoenix37
Status: Online
john
97 D90 ST / 1957 S1 109/ 1983 LS110
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Venice, CA/Yarmouth,ME
Posts: 5,111
Registry
i was going to say just check the geotag on the pic and should tell you exactly where it is.
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Tags
series, series iii

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Ratty's Series III :: 1977 Land Rover Series III Robthompson4 Defender & Series Truck Registry 0 January 11th, 2015 05:18 PM
Series III :: 1973 Land Rover Series III kraison Defender & Series Truck Registry 0 July 25th, 2014 02:07 AM
FREE Series III 88 ECR For Sale - Vehicles 28 June 27th, 2006 09:18 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:21 PM.


Copyright