Fountian Pen - Page 2 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old February 24th, 2013, 09:33 AM
FLRover
Richard
None

I think a pen or watch is a great idea.

I've received nice pens as gifts and even if I don't use them all the time I appreciate them. Plenty of folks use fountain pens daily- with cartridges and what not it's very simple to refill them and they are beautiful to write with.

I think there is something to be said about a watch as a gift marking a milestone.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 24th, 2013, 09:42 AM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
My dad has always used a fountain pen. I have tried to give him Mont Blanc's over the years but he has always insisted on Sheaffers with a cartridge.
Old February 24th, 2013, 11:30 AM
SMac
Sam
NAS 97 D90 SW

Quote:
Originally Posted by leastonce View Post
I got a Mont Blanc for my 18th birthday. I still have it. A pen is like a watch. You use it every day and then hand it down to the next generation.

Parker make decent 'first' fountain pens.
I cant even keep track of my guns let alone a pen.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 24th, 2013, 02:27 PM
Gunmaker
Michael Ullman
1995 D90 SW #270

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manimal View Post
Maybe with this new pen we can practice the spelling of the word Fountain?
Fountain, Fountain, Fountain, Fountain, Fountain, Fountain, Fountain

Hopefully that will fix my spelling problem but I wood'nt count on it.
Old February 24th, 2013, 04:29 PM
leastonce
Jason England
D-90 White 95 SW #65
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by SMac View Post

I cant even keep track of my guns let alone a pen.
Fortunately I don't have guns. The pen is mightier than the sword ... ;-)
Cat Camping Collective founding member and Chief Executive Officer
Old February 24th, 2013, 05:22 PM
Gunmaker
Michael Ullman
1995 D90 SW #270

Registry
Quote:

What pen do you carry to a gun fight?

Seriously thanks for all the tips and suggestions. I have thought about a pen because it is small and can easily be taken with him where every he goes. My son is more mature than most 18 year olds and probably most 35 year olds, and Lord willing, will not be spending his summer here. Also, there is just something classic and classy about using a fountain pen. I feel like when someone sees you writing with one it makes them take notice in a very subtle way. Like a fine watch or well made shoes. My hope was that he also might think of me and my wife now and then and even pen us a letter. Plus, as was said, the sentimental value of it and I want to give him something that will last. I should say that I would like to spend 300 Ė 400 dollars, heís only graduating from high school. Heís suppose to that, itís like a step above chewing with your mouth closed.

Tools are a good idea and since he owns a Land Rover a very good idea but hopefully the car and tools will not be going with him to school and he will not be home enough to use them much.

Knife, another good idea but he already has four or five well made ones including the ones his dad has made for him.

Watch idea I like, but not sure if he would wear one or not. He has never had any interest in the past with one. But I will have to poke around the subject and see. Although it looks as though a TAG is over budget. Air Force watch, if you show up to Air Force Basic Training with an Air Force watch you think the drill instructors will be nicer to you? Probably nicer than if you showed up with a Navy watch.

A suit, he bought himself one of those last summer and has already used it for his many school interviews this last eight months.

Man trip, Covered! We are taking the Rovers to SCARR just the two of us. Well, provided we can get both head gaskets done soon. His is half way done as I type.

I didnít realize that there was so much to know about pens but all the links and information have made me think this is a pretty good idea. It will surely surprise him. Iím sure he is expecting a gun.
Old February 24th, 2013, 05:47 PM
Rocky
Chris
72 + D1 drivetrain

Can You get hi cap mags for Fountain Pens?

I don't know about the brakes, only their unreliability.
Old February 24th, 2013, 05:59 PM
Wolf Fabrication
Sterling Archer
'08 D3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
I got an engraved cross pen and pencil set from my dad when I graduated HS. I was pretty depressed and was like "yay, a pen and pencil set." To make it worse, my name was misspelled. I'm not sure what ever happened to the set.

Get the boy something more likely to use, like a nice engraved pocket knife or watch (Citizen, Luminox).

I probably would have appreciated a pen more when I graduated college or grad school.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Semper Fi!
Old February 24th, 2013, 06:13 PM
leastonce
Jason England
D-90 White 95 SW #65
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunmaker View Post

What pen do you carry to a gun fight?

Seriously thanks for all the tips and suggestions. I have thought about a pen because it is small and can easily be taken with him where every he goes. My son is more mature than most 18 year olds and probably most 35 year olds, and Lord willing, will not be spending his summer here. Also, there is just something classic and classy about using a fountain pen. I feel like when someone sees you writing with one it makes them take notice in a very subtle way. Like a fine watch or well made shoes. My hope was that he also might think of me and my wife now and then and even pen us a letter. Plus, as was said, the sentimental value of it and I want to give him something that will last. I should say that I would like to spend 300 – 400 dollars, he’s only graduating from high school. He’s suppose to that, it’s like a step above chewing with your mouth closed.

Tools are a good idea and since he owns a Land Rover a very good idea but hopefully the car and tools will not be going with him to school and he will not be home enough to use them much.

Knife, another good idea but he already has four or five well made ones including the ones his dad has made for him.

Watch idea I like, but not sure if he would wear one or not. He has never had any interest in the past with one. But I will have to poke around the subject and see. Although it looks as though a TAG is over budget. Air Force watch, if you show up to Air Force Basic Training with an Air Force watch you think the drill instructors will be nicer to you? Probably nicer than if you showed up with a Navy watch.

A suit, he bought himself one of those last summer and has already used it for his many school interviews this last eight months.

Man trip, Covered! We are taking the Rovers to SCARR just the two of us. Well, provided we can get both head gaskets done soon. His is half way done as I type.

I didn’t realize that there was so much to know about pens but all the links and information have made me think this is a pretty good idea. It will surely surprise him. I’m sure he is expecting a gun.
I make a point of avoiding gunfights ... Although I'd take a pair of purdey's if they were on offer.

Why not make him a pen ... Well at least the barrel and cap ...
Cat Camping Collective founding member and Chief Executive Officer
Old February 24th, 2013, 06:16 PM
Wolf Fabrication
Sterling Archer
'08 D3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
How about a pen gun?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Semper Fi!
Old February 24th, 2013, 07:26 PM
Rugbier
Gustavo
110 Tdi - 110 N/A - D3 HSE - RRS SC

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf Fabrication View Post
How about a pen gun?
I have been trying to get one of those suckers for a while, sadly not legal in MD, and the one I found in OH , the price was 1,500.00 ( not worth it for me , specially for something I would have to leave there )
Old February 24th, 2013, 08:02 PM
sonoronos
Ed
None

Registry
Speaking from the perspective of someone who was 17 once...there was absolutely no way I would carry a 300 dollar anything around let alone a pen. Also pens get lost all the time, the only sensible thing to do with a gift like that is to leave it at home with the parents, which kind of defeats the purpose.

What is the great failing of men and gifts? We buy other people things we want, not what they really want/need.
Old February 25th, 2013, 09:45 PM
Ron Mexico
Ryan
LR3

I might be late to this, but you can buy him a nice, useful pen that necessarily a "custom" or overly expensive.

I like to carry one of these (or similar) with me when I travel, it can be used to 'persuade' something if necessary but still TSA friendly - http://www.monkeyedge.com/Tuff_Write...0028-mf037.htm
Old February 26th, 2013, 10:37 AM
down_shift
Russell
94' D90 ST & 06' LR3

Registry
Hand carrying a tactical pen marked Benchmade, S&W, Schrade, etc. through TSA is just asking for it to be confiscated. Even though pens are not listed on TSA’s list of prohibited items, I have seen them removed under the pretense they are kubatons or a martial arts weapon when questioned. The tuff-writer looks non-descript enough, but so does a plastic Sharpie…..

http://www.tsa.gov/traveler-information/prohibited-items
Old February 28th, 2013, 08:45 PM
Gunmaker
Michael Ullman
1995 D90 SW #270

Registry
So last night my son was filling our some more scholarship applications and needed to sign a document and he asks my wife if we have a nice pen he can sign with. She grabs a ball point pen and he says "No, I mean a nice one, like a fountain pen or something."

Time to start looking.
Old February 28th, 2013, 09:43 PM
Lemonhead
TB
1997 D90 SW

Some more ideas.

http://www.nibs.com/PelikanM600Series.htm

http://www.nibs.com/BexleyCoronaCollection.html
Old March 1st, 2013, 12:55 AM
SonnyAK
Sonny
1993 NAS 110

Registry
Quote:
Fortunately I have LOTS of guns...That way I'll always be able to write what I truly feel

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat