Advertisement

Old January 3rd, 2008, 10:34 AM
pendy
jim pendleton
89'd90

Isn't Ta Ta a synonym for goodbye?

Advice is only as good as the person applying it--
Don't make me give you bad advice!

Lemons or lemonaide, whatever your taste provides.
Old January 3rd, 2008, 11:09 AM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
I thought it was another euphamism for tits.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 3rd, 2008, 01:24 PM
Ragland
Robert Ragland
1994 Defender 90

The upshot of all this might be renewed interest in simple platforms. Roads in most of India and China, and in most of the world, are exceedingly bad. Coupled with high demand in that part of the world for straight-forward vehicles, Tata might actually see promise in Land Rover featuring a range of Defender/Disco I sort of trucks.

Truthfully, I believe the "Range" line should be split from the "Land" elements. If they remain united, there is hardly any room for the Defender or other products that might attract our interest.
Old January 3rd, 2008, 01:37 PM
LenB
Len Bruffett
NAS '97 ST /SW-POE Config

Registry
If the next defender is made in india it will have three wheels, look a lot like a powered rickshaw with a 6.5 Hp briggs and stratton! No thanks I'll pass -

Old January 3rd, 2008, 02:31 PM
devinchi
Tim Brown
'95 D90 ST '99D2

Well they do make heavy trucks (apparently they have been making them for longer than cars) so hopefully they will continue the rugged models of the Rover line.
Old January 3rd, 2008, 03:59 PM
Ragland
Robert Ragland
1994 Defender 90

Quote:
Originally Posted by LenB
If the next defender is made in india it will have three wheels, look a lot like a powered rickshaw with a 6.5 Hp briggs and stratton! No thanks I'll pass -

No, it won't be made in India, but markets of interest may change.
Old January 3rd, 2008, 04:12 PM
ini88
Daniel Marcello
Alloy+Grit Creative Director

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragland
No, it won't be made in India, but markets of interest may change.
With the US dollar kicking the bucket I wouldn't be suprised if they start production here in the US!! Horray!
1994 Defender 90 #916
1967 Lancia Fulvia
1974 Alfa Romeo GTV
Old January 3rd, 2008, 08:20 PM
JFD
Julien Dalbin
05 Tdi 90

Tata's trucks are extremely strong, not very good looking, but strong...

An Indian company buying off an English company... I like that...
Old January 3rd, 2008, 08:32 PM
Landspeed
Langdon Hill
D-90 SW

Customer Service I dink.

And you know when you call customer service, you know what your going to get.
Old January 4th, 2008, 12:28 PM
paulb
Paul / Boultbee
1994 D-90, Green #1576

At least there is movement finally. remember the press over the summer in July when FORD finally announced it was actually in talks to sell. Issue was price varience, some $3billion to qoute the London Financial.
Under Ford, the trucks already consistently rank at the bottom of all JD Powers analyses how bad can TATA go? I have riden in and driven TATA trucks. Simple & solid! As Ragland said - ain't that what the Defender is all about? And JAG; since hiring the Masarati designer, Ford succeded in making Jag a pathetic clone.
Ford has the UK Rover opeations mortgaged up the arse, has no room to negotiate with its workers, and importantly, other that the RR, has no place for LR models in the line up. They have to consolidate to survive while TATA is expanding to test itself in other waters.
Fun to watch non-the-less
Old January 4th, 2008, 02:57 PM
paulb
Paul / Boultbee
1994 D-90, Green #1576

Corporate website. More vehicles than I realised. Check out the Sumo Victa - looks like a Toyota

http://www.tatamotors.com/50years/products.php

They say --
A series of new products reflecting a changing consumer mindset. The Commercial vehicle division was moving towards not just selling a vehicle but a transport solution. In passenger vehicles, the Tata Indigo made its mark on Indian roads.
With the acquisition of the Daewoo plant in Korea, heavy commercial vehicles with a loading capacity ranging from 15T GVW to 45T GVW were added to the Tata Motors range.

How about a Korean built Rover?
Old January 11th, 2008, 07:05 PM
JFD
Julien Dalbin
05 Tdi 90

Tata just released the most economic production vehicle ever,
it's about the price of a good aluminium roof rack, around

How they can do that ?

Old January 11th, 2008, 08:48 PM
1000kva
paul girard

If someone could figure out who to send it to we could start an online petition drive to get them to start importing the defender into the US. With the weak dollar we would probably spend $80k for a new one but I am sure there are at least 5,000 right off the bat who would pony up that much for a 2009 D90- as long as it stays the same as it is now and not turned into a LRX
Old January 11th, 2008, 11:29 PM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
'94 D90 ST, '63 SeriesIIA
Site Team

Registry
The average factory worker makes $5,500 per YEAR, thats how.
Old January 12th, 2008, 09:02 PM
drdread
AL
'94 NAS 90 SW

Registry
With due respect to Tata, the worst thing for the future of LR would be to be taken over in anything but an asset acquisition. IF LR truly merges productions with Tata, say good bye to everything LR. This would be like taking 52 steps backwards for LR.

Tata trucks, commercial line maybe strong, bu their passenger line is equivalent to the cheapest Korean crap produced. Even their truck division could not touch any of the major European or American truck makers in quality and reliability, so we give them a lot more credit than my global economic and business experience has shown their products deserve.

To tout their making a cheapo car as a good thing, is definitely not going to help LR with its horrible poor quality-image. that so called cheap vehicle will quadruple its price to make it safe for american streets, it is literally a lawnmower engine in anenclosed old yugo body. Oh yeah, I want one. NOT!!!

Look at the specs on the cars, and see how in god's name could this company learn to make a world reknown and proven vehicle. Tatas are cheap and hardly have the proven track record of LR, Toyota, Ford, Volvo, you name it. They are at best economic and good for the $$$. This is not the LR motto.

We might own and drive Defenders, but remember LR is a luxury vehicle company, and even with our utilitarian wagons, we are in a much higher class than anything else in its category.

To paraphrtase someone else, a rickshaw company definitiely should not be messing with LR.

No thanks, I will be jumping to a G55 faster than you can say curry in a hurry!
Old January 12th, 2008, 10:43 PM
Stmpede
Andrew Najarian
'93 NAS D110 #43

I just hope that whoever buys LR decides to bring back the orig. LR "theme" instead of this on-road, suit & tie wearing salesman, looks like every other car company crap that Ford has been pushing!

Ford totally lost site of what made LR what it was. If LR had entered the US market back in the 80's with the same image as everyone else all it would have been was an overpriced POS...people bought the image of being different and special. Ford is trying to make them compete too directly with other luxury makers and it isn't going to work IMO (at least unless the quality takes a few ginormous leaps forward).
Old January 13th, 2008, 05:52 PM
paulb
Paul / Boultbee
1994 D-90, Green #1576

I think the reality is that Land Rover is brain dead. It is on life support and has been for years. As Abdul wrote, TATA would be the worst thing for the future of LR. Well, I agree but on the other side of the discussion; the Defender is a legacy group of LR which is a car company division. As a vehicle it has a limited market (not in the USA) and is corporately milked as a cash cow. NO ONE WANTS IT, and Ford may not be able to get anywhere close to what it thinks it is worth. Asset liqudation can be the most P&L positive. Great for the Ford, unemployment for the auto workers, interesting opportunity for TATA (many options for them to develop*), and nice for NAS Defenders as we own all that there ever is going to be! British car manufacturers have always faced the same problem, decade after decade.
* TATA can build on its base in the its existing markets. TATA can expand into other markets where they have not been, or have been in limited ways. TATA may not care about the vehicle line up but wants the manufacturing and plant assets to drive a global expansion.

TATA can do what TATA wants and dealing with the bastard, brain-dead entity step Daddy Ford left in the closet is proberly not on the table.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Tags
tata