Ford could close Solihull? - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Join the Defender Source Community Today

Old May 29th, 2004, 11:10 PM
Tony Fannin
'94 D-90 #491
Angry Ford could close Solihull?

Saw a story from yesterday out of the UK that Ford is getting tired of all the strikes at the Rover plant in Solihull and has threatened closure and moving the line elsewhere. Where that might be is not said. Hey, Ford, move Defender production to the states.

Old May 29th, 2004, 11:20 PM
1995 SW #487/500
I think I read somwhere they closed down the V8 assembly line sometime ago? not sure about the above link.

Poor gas mileage gets you to the best places on earth
Old May 30th, 2004, 12:22 AM
Mike Johnstone
ex-mod 110
They have shut down the V8 production, I guess Ford didn't need anymore V8's in their line. They are also moving production of Freelander to one of their other plants. I hope th LR figures out a way to improve quality and efficiency, they didn't do it for BMW and I don't think the new boss (Ford) will take no for an answer.
Bike Mike
Old May 30th, 2004, 10:11 PM
Randy Black
'95 D 90 SW
Sounds to me like the typical management threats when they are trying to gain concessions from labor.

Or maybe they are trying to let labor take the blame for the plans already made.

Who knows. If they make the changes to the Defender that are rumored, as far as I'm concerned they can close all of their plants. I didn't buy a D90 for the Land Rover name plate, I bought it for it's offroad ability.
Old May 30th, 2004, 11:55 PM
defender 130
Sounds good to me. I to bought for off road ability. I have a 1994 Disco and a 1988 130. As far as reliability goes the 130 is WAY more reliable than the Disco and a ton easier to work on. My wife and I will be looking for another family car again in the next few years and as of now there is no way I would even consider another Land Rover until quality control issues have been taken care of. It's time for the Union to stop whining and take pride in the product they build. I had a 4Runner for 10 years and 220k miles on it when I sold it and NEVER changed the clutch. The only thing I changed was oil and brakes. Why can't Sollihul build with the same quality? And before anyone starts crying about being loyal to the marque, I am on my seventh Land Rover in 10 years. It is truley a disease.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat