Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old November 11th, 2014, 06:47 PM
Burke
Burke Bell
'94 NAS D90 #158

Registry
Ford 6.0 Diesel?

So I am looking at a '03 F-350 with the 6.0 motor. Heard horror stories, but feel gravitated to this truck... As Defender owners we can all relate. Anyway I know nothing about diesels but this seems like a reputable dealer who deals in theses trucks a lot. This one has had "studs" and been "bulletproofed". Anyone with experience with these? Great looking truck with a manual transmission to boot. Emotionally I want to pull the trigger, but should I run?
Advertisement

Old November 11th, 2014, 06:56 PM
transientmechanic
Adam
1972 SIII

If it's been prepped properly it is a great motor. I had a 2006.

The head studs (with the correct gaskets) plus EGR delete will make it run reliably for a long time so long as it hasnt had a crazy tune.

Although, injectors can become troublesome at higher mileages and are very expensive to replace.

Mine only gave me two issues - the Fuel Injector Control Module crapped out in the middle of a road trip (they are known to fail with mileage) and the injectors were a little sticky sometimes. There are some great oil additives that will clear up the "stiction" issues.

Read up on powerstroke.org
Old November 11th, 2014, 07:24 PM
Nomar
Jeff B
RR HNTR,RR LWB Tdi

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by transientmechanic View Post
If it's been prepped properly it is a great motor. I had a 2006.

The head studs (with the correct gaskets) plus EGR delete will make it run reliably for a long time so long as it hasnt had a crazy tune.

Although, injectors can become troublesome at higher mileages and are very expensive to replace.

Mine only gave me two issues - the Fuel Injector Control Module crapped out in the middle of a road trip (they are known to fail with mileage) and the injectors were a little sticky sometimes. There are some great oil additives that will clear up the "stiction" issues.

Read up on powerstroke.org
My local powerstroke guy swears by this stuff-http://www.hotshotsecret.com/
But he also told me to stay away from the 6.0; so I got a 7.3.

Iamkraig on the board here can tell you what to ask about in a 6.0---he knows his Fords.
He has walked me through several diy maintenance procedures...
Also, Crown14 here uses a f250 6.0 to haul his Rangies, Discos, Benzs and Bimmers.

Real Rovers have round headlights!
Rent my
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
!
Just a few miles from 4x4 access!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 11th, 2014, 07:52 PM
Rocky
Chris
72 + D1 drivetrain

Duramax or cummins everytime over that International Power stroke.

I don't know about the brakes, only their unreliability.
Old November 11th, 2014, 08:13 PM
genie90
Jay Geaney
1994 D-90 ST #282

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burke View Post
So I am looking at a '03 F-350 with the 6.0 motor. As Defender owners we can all relate.
It's called a "six oh no" for a reason. If you want to relate as a defender owner I'd be more likely to buy a cummins 12v 5 speed for a one wire"ish" engine...
But I might be biased since that's what my '96 3500 is- although you lose the 4 door config if that is what you're after.
Good luck

Jay
Old November 11th, 2014, 08:45 PM
Z.G
Zack
300Tdi 95 D1

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by genie90 View Post
It's called a "six oh no" for a reason. If you want to relate as a defender owner I'd be more likely to buy a cummins 12v 5 speed for a one wire"ish" engine...
But I might be biased since that's what my '96 3500 is- although you lose the 4 door config if that is what you're after.
Good luck

Jay
I thought people called them 6-leakers?
Old November 11th, 2014, 09:39 PM
Daddymow
Raub A.
1987 D110 Tithonus

Registry
The 6.0 had well documented problems but when addressed properly they are good motors. X2 on hitting Kraig up - the Dude abides.
Old November 12th, 2014, 12:09 AM
crown14
Verticalscrote
Volkswagen Super Beetle
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomar View Post
My local powerstroke guy swears by this stuff-http://www.hotshotsecret.com/
But he also told me to stay away from the 6.0; so I got a 7.3.

Iamkraig on the board here can tell you what to ask about in a 6.0---he knows his Fords.
He has walked me through several diy maintenance procedures...
Also, Crown14 here uses a f250 6.0 to haul his Rangies, Discos, Benzs and Bimmers.

Mine is an '03, supposedly the best year. Mine has 200k on the original head gaskets with no issues and I don't baby it either.
Old November 12th, 2014, 08:14 AM
jefhuf
Jeff Huff
'94 D90 ST #655
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
I have an 06 with just under 170K miles still on all stock/original parts and only issue was FICM (replaced with a replacement unit for under $300). I also installed a Sinister coolant filter...like others said, do your research but I wouldn't shy away from them. I have also owned a 7.3 and a 6.9IDI and the 6.0 is by far my favorite driving engine of the group.

and for the Ford haters, there were just as many issues with Chevy and Dodge trucks albeit not necessarily engine problems but still drivetrain!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old November 12th, 2014, 08:27 AM
RovingRyan
Ryan Phelps
84 LHD 110

Registry
I have in 06 with 152k on the clock. Mine has been bulletproofed and is an awesome engine in my opinion. They are like rovers however in that they require a fair bit of maint. Take care of it and it will take care of you. FICM is a common issue, Mine quit 2 hears ago, i removed it and re-soldered the joints that are known to fail. It hasnt given me a problem since. There is a guy that posts on Youtube under the name Dieseltechron. Has a lot of informative videos on ford diesel trucks.

I left the dodges in the dust for poor transmissions and I drive chevys for work. The chevys seem to wear out far to fast for my liking. Other then a worn steering box mine has aged quite well. Ill let the sales numbers say the rest....
Old November 12th, 2014, 10:21 AM
Jonesy
Craig
87 D110 (Ruby)

Registry
I loved mine - piling on with everyone else....Great engine, do the EGR delete (which btw IS illegal in some states) and the head bolts. These mods are EXTREMELY well documented. DO your homework, and don't buy one that has had a tuner on it without these mods. PERIOD.
Old November 12th, 2014, 11:07 AM
crown14
Verticalscrote
Volkswagen Super Beetle
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Mine was one owner, and 100% stock when I bought it a year ago at 196k. I pulled the egr to have a look because it had no indication of ever being off before- but it was in awesome shape. No egr cooler, coolant filters, head studs, etc here. I have deleted the cat and muffler- it's not loud enough to wake up the kids and neighbors if I start it up at 5am but towing or generally driving in a spirited manner it sounds like Satan on trombone. I do have some stiction that manifests itself as a shudder only when shifting into overdrive under 2000rpm. Different additives seem to work for different folks on different trucks. Tried Archoil, no joy. Then put the upgraded spring in the fuel px modulator (easy job btw), and tried Rev X additive and it was totally cured for about 500 miles, although it has returned it isn't anywhere near as bad as it was before. Now it is almost time for the next oil change and I think I'll try Hotshot Secret.
Old November 12th, 2014, 11:18 AM
transientmechanic
Adam
1972 SIII

My sctiction issues were under low load, light acceleration, slightly higher in the RPM range. (about the last few hundred RPM before it would upshift). RevX cured it. I was blown away - I thought for sure it was a snake oil deal.

To avoid EGR problems I just unplugged the EGR solenoid. It had a perpetual check engine light, but it did run better. And the turbo whistle at idle (MBRP turbo back) was so awesome. I miss that thing. It wheeled incredibly well, too. Stock aside from 35" hankook MT's.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	fordmoab.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	82.4 KB
ID:	106862  
Old November 12th, 2014, 11:32 AM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
I have a dead cyl #6 on a 7.3 right now and the valve cover gasket/injector loom is new and so is the injector.
Waiting for the glow plug hole adapter to come so I can do a compression test to confirm my fears.
Rut Row Roerge

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Vehicle Shipment and Importation Service
Restoration & Modification work

Old November 12th, 2014, 11:33 AM
crown14
Verticalscrote
Volkswagen Super Beetle
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Once you've driven a 6.0 the 7.3 always feels like it's got a dead cylinder or two.
Old November 12th, 2014, 11:39 AM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by crown14 View Post
Once you've driven a 6.0 the 7.3 always feels like it's got a dead cylinder or two.
Yep 7.3 is only 250hp stock so you have to do a few mods to get 6.0 level power.

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Vehicle Shipment and Importation Service
Restoration & Modification work

Old November 12th, 2014, 12:25 PM
Tribike
Chad
1985 110

I've got a 2003 7.3 with over 325K miles. It's still stock and I haven't had any problems with it (knock on wood). Before this one I had a 2004 6.0 that I put over 100K miles on and had no problems. I keep telling myself I'll get rid of my 7.3, but I just can't seem to let her go.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20141009_152326.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	97.2 KB
ID:	106871  
Old November 12th, 2014, 12:40 PM
flippedrover
Tyler
'94 D-90

When I was with the ambulance company in the early 2000's we bought 22 new ambulances with the 6.0 only had an issue with one and that the thinking was due to biodiesel messing with the fuel system.
and you're the only bait in town.
You got fins to the left, fins to the right,
and you're the only girl in town.

Jimmy Buffett

Old November 12th, 2014, 02:43 PM
crown14
Verticalscrote
Volkswagen Super Beetle
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
One of the local municipalities bought a fleet of hybrid short buses on ford chassis a few years back, they had so many issues with the hybrid stuff they just retrofitted 6.0 drive trains into them.
Old November 12th, 2014, 03:33 PM
jefhuf
Jeff Huff
'94 D90 ST #655
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by crown14 View Post
Mine was one owner, and 100% stock when I bought it a year ago at 196k. I pulled the egr to have a look because it had no indication of ever being off before- but it was in awesome shape. No egr cooler, coolant filters, head studs, etc here. I have deleted the cat and muffler- it's not loud enough to wake up the kids and neighbors if I start it up at 5am but towing or generally driving in a spirited manner it sounds like Satan on trombone. I do have some stiction that manifests itself as a shudder only when shifting into overdrive under 2000rpm. Different additives seem to work for different folks on different trucks. Tried Archoil, no joy. Then put the upgraded spring in the fuel px modulator (easy job btw), and tried Rev X additive and it was totally cured for about 500 miles, although it has returned it isn't anywhere near as bad as it was before. Now it is almost time for the next oil change and I think I'll try Hotshot Secret.
I started running the Hotshot about 6 months ago and plan to do it again in my next oil change sometime in December...worked great for me. I also run Rotella T6 which I am not sure makes a difference but makes me feel better

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Tags
diesel