For you FJ fags - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old July 28th, 2010, 02:28 PM
bjf
barry f
94 ST #395

For you FJ fags

I was at toyota head quarters today and this was in the lobby.

Sweet ARB
http://www.flickr.com/photos/barryri...47596/sizes/l/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 28th, 2010, 02:51 PM
rijosho
Joshua
1995 Black ST - Rhinolined edition
Research Assistant/Eagle Eyes

Registry
Back when the FJ Cruisers were still in concept stage I really respected the direction they were going with it. Then, in production (as is always the case), some of the cooler features were omitted. One of the coolest was the idea that all of the seats wold fold flush with the console to make one huge sleeping surace.

Were you there for work?
Old July 28th, 2010, 02:56 PM
MUDSUX
Forrest
Like my Tatas?

Registry
As a self-proclaimed FJ fag myself, I was pretty disappointed when the FJ Cruiser first came out. I thought they completely missed the mark. This looks better but somehow I doubt you can get that straight from the showroom. Any pics with the top down?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"It is the soldier, who salutes the flag, who serves beneath the flag, and whose coffin is draped by the flag that allows the protester to burn the flag"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 28th, 2010, 03:14 PM
Overlander
mark kellgren
in between D's in an 04 D2

Registry
Hah! I love the sarcasm. Don't post a thread like that over on the expo portal. The Yota guys are always swarming for a fight with Rover guys. they lurk in the Rover forum all the time for some reason and always chime in unexpectedly. I've never actually ever gone in the yota forum-no interest.
Old July 28th, 2010, 03:18 PM
alastair
AJS
84/94/95/2013

If that ever makes it to production they'll sell a pile of them where I live.
Old July 28th, 2010, 03:46 PM
AmityD90
Gery
1987 ROW D90

Registry
There's a place near me that does that conversion. I don't think its a good design at all.
Old July 28th, 2010, 04:03 PM
don
Don Bunnell
'86 110 3dr ST

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by alastair View Post
If that ever makes it to production they'll sell a pile of them where I live.
Ain't that the truth. I would love to see what the 4 door Wrangler sales #'s are in the Monmouth County area. I bet 1 out of every 10 vehicles in our area is one. Of those half of them have the doors off and with the owner giving a look like he just got back from running trails in Moab with it

Forgot to add - I do think that FJ looks cool. There are a couple of nicely restored FJ40's in town and I always enjoy seeing them go down the road.
Old July 28th, 2010, 04:43 PM
bjf
barry f
94 ST #395

My company does Toyota's website. I am in HQ all the time. There are a few soft tops floating around. It's probably a much better truck than a defender but it looks like such plastic crap.

I will agree with Horsey (one time) I liked the prototype. I drove one awhile ago and hated it. Lots of blind spots.
Old July 28th, 2010, 05:17 PM
Cred
Clarence
1994 D90 #1057

Registry
But the rear do the rear windows go down? Every softtop FJC conversion I have seen hasn't addressed the rear window. They look silly with the top off, front windows down and both rear windows up in place. I guess it has something to do with the suicide doors.
Uggh.
I liked my FJC when i had it, but my wife is a certified card carrying Rover Nut and she couldn't stand the FJ.
Old July 28th, 2010, 06:52 PM
Neil McCauley
Neil McCauley
94 ST, 97 ST, 93 110

I saw the word fags in the title and I thought "4chan"

------ Follow up post added July 28th, 2010 03:54 PM ------

Damn I actually recognize the inside of that biulding, its the Toyota headquarters off gramarcy and 190th in Torrance. I remember Alpine used to be behind their biulding as well. Went in there many times when I was working at Japan airlines.

Robert Deniro
Old July 28th, 2010, 07:14 PM
D90DRC
D Cantrell
1997 D90SW

Food for thought.. I was looking at a new Jeep soft top mechanical's. It looks possible to modify the assembly to fit a 90. I'm stuck on getting it around the roll bar... Maybe a rear section that folds back and a one piece Targa style top over the drivers area.... I may mess around with that next year... Has anyone else gone this direction? I dont want a home built look but something Land Rover may have done if the designers had any design skills....
Old July 28th, 2010, 07:15 PM
bjf
barry f
94 ST #395

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil McCauley View Post
I saw the word fags in the title and I thought "4chan"

------ Follow up post added July 28th, 2010 03:54 PM ------

Damn I actually recognize the inside of that biulding, its the Toyota headquarters off gramarcy and 190th in Torrance. I remember Alpine used to be behind their biulding as well. Went in there many times when I was working at Japan airlines.
The main building is on western but the whole area is pretty much toyota.

Amazing you know 4chan. You really are my type of scum
Old July 28th, 2010, 07:32 PM
JohnsD90
John
74 SIII 88", 88 110, 91 110

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overlander View Post
Hah! I love the sarcasm. Don't post a thread like that over on the expo portal. The Yota guys are always swarming for a fight with Rover guys. they lurk in the Rover forum all the time for some reason and always chime in unexpectedly. I've never actually ever gone in the yota forum-no interest.
Being on a 4runner forum, yeah, they don't like rovers much, they always knock down the no lockers. And they say they are unreliable, which i haven't noticed yet from the disco and the time with the defender.
Old July 28th, 2010, 07:38 PM
mpsteil
Michael Steil
NAS 110#23,97 ST#665

Fugly
Old July 29th, 2010, 03:04 PM
JFD
Julien Dalbin
05 Tdi 90

strange color combination.
Old July 29th, 2010, 05:06 PM
tweak
Darich Runyan
'04 Disco

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnsD90 View Post
Being on a 4runner forum, yeah, they don't like rovers much, they always knock down the no lockers. And they say they are unreliable, which i haven't noticed yet from the disco and the time with the defender.
So true, I have a buddy that is a card carrying Toyota guy who currently runs a jacked up 80. He is always telling me that my Disco sucks because it has no lockers and is unreliable. Of course, last time we were out his 80 with lockers got stuck in some sand and my sucky Disco with just the CDL pulled him out. His truck is now up on blocks because the lockers are stuck on, I on the other hand am driving my Disco around.
Old July 29th, 2010, 08:08 PM
Overlander
mark kellgren
in between D's in an 04 D2

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by tweak View Post
So true, I have a buddy that is a card carrying Toyota guy who currently runs a jacked up 80. He is always telling me that my Disco sucks because it has no lockers and is unreliable. Of course, last time we were out his 80 with lockers got stuck in some sand and my sucky Disco with just the CDL pulled him out. His truck is now up on blocks because the lockers are stuck on, I on the other hand am driving my Disco around.
No kidding. Toyota owners are the Gene Garofalo's of the automotive world.
Old July 29th, 2010, 08:51 PM
Burke
Burke Bell
'94 NAS D90 #158

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by D90DRC View Post
Food for thought.. I was looking at a new Jeep soft top mechanical's. It looks possible to modify the assembly to fit a 90. I'm stuck on getting it around the roll bar... Maybe a rear section that folds back and a one piece Targa style top over the drivers area.... I may mess around with that next year... Has anyone else gone this direction? I dont want a home built look but something Land Rover may have done if the designers had any design skills....
As a 4 door Wrangler owner I will say that the soft top arrangement is such a PITA that it makes my Tickford top on the Rover seem like a cake walk. I use my hartd top now all year round for that reason. The targa feature on the hard top is genius though...
Old August 1st, 2010, 03:11 PM
dave_lucas
Dave Lucas
None

I passed one on the road the other day here in Denver. I figured it was a conversion but it looked factory.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat