For the Austin Members - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old August 31st, 2005, 10:25 AM
tron
Thomas F
Recently Roverless

For the Austin Members

I know Chris and Tony are active on this board, however this really goes out to any of the Austin members...

I sold my other car last weekend so now my D90 is my sole means of transportation. I am out of town every week and I really only drive the Rover on the weekends now. There are some minor maintenance things I would like to do (replace the oil lines, new spark plugs and wires, etc.) however with a limited amount of time at home, a girlfriend, etc. I don't have much time to work on these things. It is in excellent shape, however I just want it to stay that way. I could just take it to the dealer, however I would rather find someone who needs/wants the independent work and the extra $. Do you guys know anyone in town who is looking for some extra work?

Thanks,
Tom
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 31st, 2005, 12:19 PM
Trigger
Tony Fannin
'94 D-90 #491

Quote:
Originally Posted by tron
I know Chris and Tony are active on this board, however this really goes out to any of the Austin members...

I sold my other car last weekend so now my D90 is my sole means of transportation. I am out of town every week and I really only drive the Rover on the weekends now. There are some minor maintenance things I would like to do (replace the oil lines, new spark plugs and wires, etc.) however with a limited amount of time at home, a girlfriend, etc. I don't have much time to work on these things. It is in excellent shape, however I just want it to stay that way. I could just take it to the dealer, however I would rather find someone who needs/wants the independent work and the extra $. Do you guys know anyone in town who is looking for some extra work?

Thanks,
Tom
None of those are difficult. The plugs and wires I could knock out in 30 minutes and the oil cooler lines don't take much longer if you have the parts. If you're going to have them done at a hydraulics shop then add a day or two to get the hoses made. Bring the 90 and the beer by and we'll knock it out.
Old August 31st, 2005, 12:39 PM
chrisvonc
Chris von C
No Defender at this time

Let me know if that happens, I would like to check that out if you do it.

Please email one of the current MODs if you need assistance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lriwater: As you know, most wives don't like Series trucks due to the ride and lack of creature comforts. Girlfriends seem to like those, but some sort of magic happens during the wedding ceremony.
[/size]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 1st, 2005, 08:42 AM
tron
Thomas F
Recently Roverless

Quote:
None of those are difficult. The plugs and wires I could knock out in 30 minutes and the oil cooler lines don't take much longer if you have the parts. If you're going to have them done at a hydraulics shop then add a day or two to get the hoses made. Bring the 90 and the beer by and we'll knock it out.
Awsome. Thanks for the offer Tony. I will look into getting the parts this week or next, then I should be in town and have some time in two weeks from today 9/15. I will ping you and Chris before then to see if you guys are still interested in helping.

Thanks!!!
Old September 1st, 2005, 10:22 AM
Trigger
Tony Fannin
'94 D-90 #491

Quote:
Awsome. Thanks for the offer Tony. I will look into getting the parts this week or next, then I should be in town and have some time in two weeks from today 9/15. I will ping you and Chris before then to see if you guys are still interested in helping.
No prob. I like to do work early in the morning this time of year to A) Avoid the heat B) Have time to head to the lake once it does get hot.

You can get plug wires most anywhere. I got my Bosch ones at Van's here in town. If you also want to do oil cooler lines you're on your own finding those. If you want we can inspect them first to see if they need replacing before outlaying the cash as they are a bit pricey. I plan on doing the Mocal conersion on mine when I get the chance but as mine were replaced back in 2003 I'm not in a hurry.
Old September 2nd, 2005, 11:04 AM
texasdefender110
T.J. D...
NAS Defender 110

Registry
Speaking of doing work on the Defender...
I joined the forum yesterday. A lot of good information here.

Can any of y'all in Austin recommend a mechanic? Anyone that you may use regularly? I ran into a mechanical problem with my 1993 D-110 that is over my head. I look around last night through the forum and saw that Dillo90, unfortunely, had to have a lot of work done to your Defender.
The dealership is on 5th, Motorcar is up on 183, about 3 miles from my house. I need it towed, so I'm leaning toward Motorcars. Did I miss any other shops? Any rcommendations?

Dillo90, you mentioned a mechanic is a past post, though recommend by the dealership, seemed shady to you. Do you mind telling who that was.

Well the truck is not running, not that I can afford the $3.50/gallon gas at 13 mpg, so I'd appreciate any thoughts.
Thanks
T.J.
Old September 2nd, 2005, 01:24 PM
Trigger
Tony Fannin
'94 D-90 #491

Quote:
Originally Posted by IliveinTexas
Can any of y'all in Austin recommend a mechanic? Anyone that you may use regularly? I ran into a mechanical problem with my 1993 D-110 that is over my head. I look around last night through the forum and saw that Dillo90, unfortunely, had to have a lot of work done to your Defender.
The dealership is on 5th, Motorcar is up on 183, about 3 miles from my house. I need it towed, so I'm leaning toward Motorcars. Did I miss any other shops? Any rcommendations?
After the wreck I did all the work myself. Bodywork, mechanical, everything.
I've only ever taken mine to a mechanic once and that was Motorcars last month. They took about 3 minutes to figure out that I'd swapped the 1 and 2 plug wires after I did a head gasket job last month. Talk about feeling stupid. They just went through a change of management/mechanics and they seem pretty cool.

Quote:
Dillo90, you mentioned a mechanic is a past post, though recommend by the dealership, seemed shady to you. Do you mind telling who that was.
I don't remember posting that nor who I could have been talking about.

Quote:
Well the truck is not running, not that I can afford the $3.50/gallon gas at 13 mpg, so I'd appreciate any thoughts.
If you're only 3 miles from Motorcars on 183 then you're right on top of me. I'm only a mile or so from them. Where are you and what's giving you issues? I might be able to take a look at it.
Old September 2nd, 2005, 02:47 PM
tron
Thomas F
Recently Roverless

Tony--

I ordered the oil lines from Atlantic British today and I think I am going to try to knock out the spark plugs/wires this holiday weekend (Monday)...should only take me 30 minutes or so. I will shoot you a message when I get the oil lines in. Thanks again!

Tom
Old September 2nd, 2005, 03:13 PM
Trigger
Tony Fannin
'94 D-90 #491

Quote:
Tony--

I ordered the oil lines from Atlantic British today and I think I am going to try to knock out the spark plugs/wires this holiday weekend (Monday)...should only take me 30 minutes or so. I will shoot you a message when I get the oil lines in. Thanks again!
Cool. If you need help you're more than welcome to come by. I'll be out doing an oil change in mine on Monday probably.
Old September 2nd, 2005, 03:20 PM
Mike Hippert
D-90Slut/Stalker,SNLPres
94 D-90 Grinding Rover

Man you guys stink! I can't even drive mine enough to need doing an oil change!
Old September 2nd, 2005, 03:56 PM
Trigger
Tony Fannin
'94 D-90 #491

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Hippert
Man you guys stink! I can't even drive mine enough to need doing an oil change!
Be my second in 500 miles. Wanna make sure I got all the gunk out after that head gasket job.
Old September 13th, 2005, 09:08 AM
tron
Thomas F
Recently Roverless

Tony--

UPS says the parts are at my place. I am up in Ohio right now, but I am supposed to be home Thursday night. I was thinking of maybe knocking out the oil lines/spark plugs either Friday, Saturday, or Sunday. Let me know if you are going to be around.

Thanks,
Tom
Old September 13th, 2005, 09:52 AM
Trigger
Tony Fannin
'94 D-90 #491

Quote:
UPS says the parts are at my place. I am up in Ohio right now, but I am supposed to be home Thursday night. I was thinking of maybe knocking out the oil lines/spark plugs either Friday, Saturday, or Sunday. Let me know if you are going to be around.
Sorry but I'm not going to be around. I'm hooking up with some folks from Texas Rovers to take supplies into rural LA and MS. I'm headed out Thursday, returning Sunday. If you know anyone with a small enclosed trailer that would be willing to loan it to a good cause, please let me know.
Old September 13th, 2005, 10:30 AM
tron
Thomas F
Recently Roverless

Tony--

I will ask around about a trailer. I think I might know where to get an uncovered one, but I will poke around for a covered one. Good luck with the trip. I also got a new bunch of hoses for the radiator so I will probably do those and the plugs this weekend. Still not daring enough to try the oil lines without some help :D

Thanks,
Tom
Old September 13th, 2005, 12:47 PM
Trigger
Tony Fannin
'94 D-90 #491

All of those can be knocked out in an afternoon if you'd rather wait until I get back. The oil lines are easy too if you've got replacements ready.
Old September 13th, 2005, 01:12 PM
tron
Thomas F
Recently Roverless

I will just wait on the oil lines until you get back. I got the box of goodies from Atlantic British on Friday. Thanks again for your offer to help.
Old September 18th, 2005, 10:39 PM
Trigger
Tony Fannin
'94 D-90 #491

Quote:
I will just wait on the oil lines until you get back. I got the box of goodies from Atlantic British on Friday. Thanks again for your offer to help.
Looking in another thread says you lied. Looks like you got them replaced without us.

Mine jsut did 1,100 miles to Louisiana and back with no over heating. It was hot as hell over there too. Woohoo!
Old September 19th, 2005, 01:06 PM
tron
Thomas F
Recently Roverless

Yea, I started replacing the radiator hoses and since I had my hands dirty and things taken apart I figured I would just go for broke. I held off on the spark plugs so I am still up for doing that when I am back in town. I saw the pictures from the trip you guys made...glad you guys made it down and back safe.
Old September 19th, 2005, 04:09 PM
Westiia
Alex West
1969 Series IIA 88" ST

Quote:
Originally Posted by IliveinTexas

Thanks
T.J.
I'd love to pay that. Unleaded petrol here is about $6.50/USgallon here.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat