Flying to Virginia - which airport? - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old July 26th, 2011, 07:03 AM
pmd
Paul Dandini
None :-(

Flying to Virginia - which airport?

I need to be at an event in Fredericksburg, VA on Saturday of Labor Day weekend - so driving from Boston does not look like a good option.

I am thinking about flying into Reagan National Airport (DCA) - would that be a mistake?
Should I look into a different Airport?

Thanks in advance!
Paul
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 26th, 2011, 07:41 AM
jefhuf
Jeff Huff
'94 D90 ST #655
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Your two best options are either Reagan or Dulles. Reagan is a little closer to Fredericksburg in mileage but because of traffic, both will probably take you about an hour in driving time depending on time of day and possibly even longer with Labor Day traffic
Old July 26th, 2011, 08:14 AM
The Dro
Dro
1988 Ninety

Registry
Get whichever is cheaper (IAD or DCA). I-395 and I-95 are a hellholes during peak hours (6-9AM and 3-7PM) and try to avoid these hours.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 26th, 2011, 08:22 AM
galen216
Galen Lentz
'98 D1

Registry
Why not Richmond? Not sure if there is a direct flight but Richmond International to Fredericksburg is a short drive.
Old July 26th, 2011, 08:22 AM
o2batsea
Bill Adams
66 109 sw 94 lwb

Registry
If you arrive on Friday, you can fly into National, walk about a quarter mile to the Virginia Railway Express station in Crystal City and take the commuter train direct to Fredericksburg. Fare is $9.70 one way. More info at VRE.org. Last train south is at 6:53 pm from Crystal City.
I don't think the trains run on the weekend. Amtrak might but will probably take you to Union Station in DC where you'll have to take the Metro subway to the airport. I'm sure the Amtrak fare from F'burg is less than a cab ride.

1966 109 5 door wagon 300Tdi "spermaceti fueled"
1994 RRC LeWiB "ruining the air behind me"
1968 2A 88

All my troubles are Rover
Old July 26th, 2011, 08:59 AM
smob
Steve
'97 Arles Blue SW #2131

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by galen216 View Post
Why not Richmond? Not sure if there is a direct flight but Richmond International to Fredericksburg is a short drive.
I'd fly into Richmond - the traffic won't be bad, same distance, and car rentals will be cheaper. Flight may be the same or cheaper than Dulles. Going south on 95 around that weekend will be a nightmare. Downside may be that you can't get a direct flight there, but the plane change will be better than potentially 2 hours on 95 south.

I'd also consider flying into Charlottesville, if flights are available. Same stuff above applies.
Old July 26th, 2011, 09:06 AM
airbornrover
William Skidmore
SIII 109 SW

Quote:
Originally Posted by o2batsea View Post
If you arrive on Friday, you can fly into National, walk about a quarter mile to the Virginia Railway Express station in Crystal City and take the commuter train direct to Fredericksburg. Fare is $9.70 one way. More info at VRE.org. Last train south is at 6:53 pm from Crystal City.
I don't think the trains run on the weekend. Amtrak might but will probably take you to Union Station in DC where you'll have to take the Metro subway to the airport. I'm sure the Amtrak fare from F'burg is less than a cab ride.
The above mentioned and Richmond as well. Should be easy enough to get a flight into Richmond, they are a tertiary'ish airport but lots of military/gov personal come and go out of there day in and day out. So you would be on a puddle hopper.

You are talking about a Big holiday weekend for the area. Traffic will be a whore of a bitch drive.
Old July 26th, 2011, 09:19 AM
pmd
Paul Dandini
None :-(

Thanks for all the info!
Old July 26th, 2011, 09:21 AM
smob
Steve
'97 Arles Blue SW #2131

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by airbornrover View Post

You are talking about a Big holiday weekend for the area. Traffic will be a whore of a bitch drive.
On a recent Saturday, non-holiday summer weekend, it took us 3.5 hours to get from D.C. to Fredericksburg. Worst traffic I've ever seen.
Old July 26th, 2011, 09:51 AM
Wolf Fabrication
Sterling Archer
'08 D3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
For someone who actually lives and works around that area, I'd fly in to Dulles. That allows you to avoid a lot of the 95. That even gives you the option to come down some back roads in to Fredericksburg.

Don't take the VRE.

Richmond is also a good suggestion. A little longer drive, but it's all highway and *should* be no traffic.

Semper Fi!
Old July 26th, 2011, 09:58 AM
rijosho
Joshua
1995 Black ST - Rhinolined edition
Research Assistant/Eagle Eyes

Registry
I was looking at LGA to Richmond last week to do some furniture shopping out in Farmville, and it was pretty cheap.
Old July 26th, 2011, 10:10 AM
sonoronos
Ed
None

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by o2batsea View Post
Second the VRE. Quiet, air conditioned, and clean. We used to take the VRE for executive business trips to the Navy Yard / M Street.

Good enough for company VP's, good enough for you.
Old July 26th, 2011, 10:18 AM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
'94 D90 ST, '63 SeriesIIA
Site Team

Registry
I second Dulles and take 17 south to Fredericksburg.
Old July 26th, 2011, 10:45 AM
Wolf Fabrication
Sterling Archer
'08 D3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonoronos

Second the VRE. Quiet, air conditioned, and clean. We used to take the VRE for executive business trips to the Navy Yard / M Street.

Good enough for company VP's, good enough for you.
To take the VRE from DCA, you have to jump on the Metro to CC, then take the train 120 minutes south. The VRE is PACKED on Fridays going south and is prone to delays. Plus that leaves you slave to delays and the train schedule, which does not run weekends, and only runs north in the morning and south in the afternoon.

Oh, and the VRE station is easily a full 1.5 walk from DCA as you have to cross the GW parkway and then head north.

Semper Fi!
Old July 26th, 2011, 12:47 PM
smob
Steve
'97 Arles Blue SW #2131

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by rijosho View Post
I was looking at LGA to Richmond last week to do some furniture shopping out in Farmville, and it was pretty cheap.
Farmvegas. Wow.
Old July 26th, 2011, 12:49 PM
rijosho
Joshua

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by SMOB View Post
Farmvegas. Wow.
You've been?
Old July 26th, 2011, 01:29 PM
Abrooks
Tony Brooks

Quote:
You've been?
I spent 4 years 5 miles outside of Farmvegas. Greenfront has a store in Manassas as well, far easier to get to . . .
Old July 26th, 2011, 04:05 PM
smob
Steve
'97 Arles Blue SW #2131

Registry
Quote:
You've been?
Oh, yeah. Several years there during college, then back for work pretty often with the university. Nice to see that people go there for the shops. But yeah, like Tony said, Green Front has a place outside of D.C. (just guessing you're going there for GF and not the Room Store or Belk)
Old July 26th, 2011, 04:14 PM
rijosho
Joshua

Registry
Yeah, GreenFront only. My parents have been there a bunch of times and turned me on to them. They're actually there now taking pictures of stuff for me since they had to buy some stuff themselves, and they're 4 hours closer.
Old July 26th, 2011, 04:20 PM
smob
Steve
'97 Arles Blue SW #2131

Registry
Nice. I was surpised to learn that the GF team actually does fly all over the world (pakistan, africa, etc.) to get original product. Not your average furniture reseller. Make sure to spend dough in the local businesses. They'll appreciate it more than the Wal-Mart.

Anyway, sorry to hijack the thread.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Tags
virginia