Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old February 8th, 2014, 06:52 PM
down_shift
Russell
94' D90 ST & 06' LR3

Registry
Fluids for a LR3

What fluids are people using for the engine, transmission, t/c case, and diffs these days? I hope it is not some $33/qt dealer specific stuff I am reading over at LandRover.org
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 8th, 2014, 07:00 PM
Ray_G
Ray Gerber
54 S1 86", 96 D1 (Coyote), 06 D3

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by down_shift View Post
What fluids are people using for the engine, transmission, t/c case, and diffs these days? I hope it is not some $33/qt dealer specific stuff I am reading over at LandRover.org
Mobil 1 for the engine...but yes, the dealer specified stuff for the rest. Got it all to once and used a 15% off coupon fm AB to make it hurt a little less. Thankfully I don't see myself changing dif fluid nearly as often as in the D1.
Old February 8th, 2014, 07:08 PM
Grover
Mike
Birmabright Bread Box/Swagger Wagon

Registry
Full synthetic Castrol for the engine, LR fluids for rad, tranny, tcase, and diffs...

Good times...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 8th, 2014, 07:23 PM
down_shift
Russell
94' D90 ST & 06' LR3

Registry
Recommended frequency for all?
Old February 8th, 2014, 08:12 PM
Ray_G
Ray Gerber
54 S1 86", 96 D1 (Coyote), 06 D3

Registry
Quote:
Recommended frequency for all?
After you establish a baseline (unless previous history is a documented known) this is what I am going to operate off:
http://www.disco3.co.uk/gallery/albu...0-%20miles.pdf
Old February 8th, 2014, 08:16 PM
navydevildoc
Neill Thornton
1984 D90 300 Tdi / 1965 Series IIA
Site Team

Registry
I use Castrol Syntec in the engine... then LR Factory unicorn blood in the rear locking diff. Other stuff just meets specs, it's not "land rover green label".

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old February 8th, 2014, 10:06 PM
nathanwind
Jason Lavender
88-90-127-LR3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Castrol synthetic 5w30 in the engine every 5K, trans/tcase/diffs yes as mentioned it generally is the Rover specific fluid....which is pricey. But considering I have to flush my diffs and refill the tcase in the 90 with a frequency that seems to be every time I go wheeling it's probably ultimately cheaper to do the LR3 service at $30/qt and leave it in there for the 60K duration!

Now all that said, to be frank the dealers actually now use the BG fluids for the "regular" diffs (i.e. not the electronic locking rear diff). The fluid for the regular diffs is BG752. The electronic locking rear diff is the only one that still requires the Rover fluid - which is LRN500070.

The transfer case & gearbox I *believe* were spec'd out at the dealer (again, last I checked) as the BG753 fluid as well (versus the Rover specific fluid).

------ Follow up post added February 8th, 2014 10:14 PM ------

Russell, you may also find my prior rant found here useful:
http://www.defendersource.com/forum/...9&postcount=26
'94 90 NAS #324
'06 LR3 HSE

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

(10% discount for DSource members, use coupon code "D90")

Old February 8th, 2014, 10:25 PM
down_shift
Russell
94' D90 ST & 06' LR3

Registry
All great info, thanks.
At 5000 miles between oil changes, is it typical to see any oil consumption? If so, how much?
Old February 8th, 2014, 10:28 PM
nathanwind
Jason Lavender
88-90-127-LR3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
All great info, thanks.
At 5000 miles between oil changes, is it typical to see any oil consumption? If so, how much?
Zero consumption, probably even past 5K. This isn't a Series truck . And I mean zero...at 100K+ it doesn't move off the dipstick mark on mine.

And probably most will tell you that a 5K oil change with synthetic is ludicrous, but it's how I was raised and so far it's worked for me and the hundreds of thousands of miles I've put on a plethora of vehicles. But I've always done oil changes at 3K dino & 5K synthetic, and I sleep better at night because of it.

OR, you could just be like that other dude on here (don't recall exactly who it was) that went 44K with only 1 oil change on an LR3 and told me I was the idiot for changing at 5K.
'94 90 NAS #324
'06 LR3 HSE

(10% discount for DSource members, use coupon code "D90")

Old February 8th, 2014, 11:04 PM
Jymmiejamz
Jimmy
1995 D90 SW #365

Registry
I've got a bunch of the transfer box fluid if you guys need any.
Old February 8th, 2014, 11:47 PM
jafir
Jafir Elkurd
Flaky Green 198something ex-mod 90

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jymmiejamz View Post
I've got a bunch of the transfer box fluid if you guys need any.
I'd be interested!
Old February 8th, 2014, 11:58 PM
Grover
Mike

Registry
Use the K&N oil filter. It's so much easier to remove with the wrench flats. There is very little room to get a strap wrench oil the filter.

Happy motoring!
Old February 9th, 2014, 01:48 AM
navydevildoc
Neill Thornton
1984 D90 300 Tdi / 1965 Series IIA
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by nathanwind View Post
Zero consumption, probably even past 5K. This isn't a Series truck . And I mean zero...at 100K+ it doesn't move off the dipstick mark on mine.

And probably most will tell you that a 5K oil change with synthetic is ludicrous, but it's how I was raised and so far it's worked for me and the hundreds of thousands of miles I've put on a plethora of vehicles. But I've always done oil changes at 3K dino & 5K synthetic, and I sleep better at night because of it.

OR, you could just be like that other dude on here (don't recall exactly who it was) that went 44K with only 1 oil change on an LR3 and told me I was the idiot for changing at 5K.
I haven't seen a drop of oil burn on mine, and I just rolled past 160,000 miles.

I usually change somewhere between 5 and 7.5 k... it's a pretty penny on that oil change when you are filling it with Syntec.

Old February 9th, 2014, 02:47 AM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

I have the same/similar motor (but supercharged) in the jag and it burns no oil at all and I run 5w30 synthetic.
Old February 9th, 2014, 10:19 AM
Jymmiejamz
Jimmy
1995 D90 SW #365

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by jafir View Post
I'd be interested!
Can I ship transfer box fluid? I saw most of the other guys are close to me. I don't know about the rules of shipping oils, and they usually leak when they are shipped to the dealership.
Old February 9th, 2014, 10:29 AM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
whats so special about the transfer case? surely redline amsoil castrol etc have a fluid that will meet the spec?
Old February 9th, 2014, 10:43 AM
jafir
Jafir Elkurd
Flaky Green 198something ex-mod 90

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jymmiejamz View Post
Can I ship transfer box fluid? I saw most of the other guys are close to me. I don't know about the rules of shipping oils, and they usually leak when they are shipped to the dealership.
I don't know for sure. When I worked in a garage years ago, I'd order parts from worldpac, almost everything came DHL overnight, but fluids had to come UPS ground.

------ Follow up post added February 9th, 2014 09:44 AM ------

Quote:
Originally Posted by rover4x4 View Post
whats so special about the transfer case? surely redline amsoil castrol etc have a fluid that will meet the spec?
It's got an infinitely variable diff lock, like the HD rear axles, and I guess if you don't have to correct friction modified fluids, it will be locked up at times when is shouldn't be fully locked.
Old February 9th, 2014, 01:05 PM
Jymmiejamz
Jimmy
1995 D90 SW #365

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by rover4x4 View Post
I've definitely fixed trucks that have come from independent shops who put the wrong oil in them. The transfer case locks up when it should be unlocked. I'm sure you could add some limited slip lubricant or something to them, but I would just stick to the factory lubricant.
Old February 9th, 2014, 02:45 PM
down_shift
Russell
94' D90 ST & 06' LR3

Registry
Jimmy, using Ray's link to the factory LR3 maintenance checklist, the schedule to renew the engine oil/filter is every 7.5k or 6 months, slushbox oil/filter every 150k or 10 yrs, transfer box every 75k, f/r diffs every 10 yrs (every 75k for the r locker). Do you see any reason to accelerate this schedule in one area or another? Else, I'll just follow this and save the $$.
Old February 9th, 2014, 02:52 PM
Grover
Mike

Registry
Quote:
Jimmy, using Ray's link to the factory LR3 maintenance checklist, the schedule to renew the engine oil/filter is every 7.5k or 6 months, slushbox oil/filter every 150k or 10 yrs, transfer box every 75k, f/r diffs every 10 yrs (every 75k for the r locker). Do you see any reason to accelerate this schedule in one area or another? Else, I'll just follow this and save the $$.
The diffs do not hold much oil. It's best to change more frequently than 75k
There is lots of talk about the diffs on other forums. Some say to change the fluid once a year.

It's all easy to change but the trans. Save $$$ and change the fluids yourself.

Welcome to the modern rover...lol

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat