Flir - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old April 10th, 2012, 11:41 AM
Bill Larson
Bill Larson
97 D90 SW

Flir

So I'm considering a civilian flir system for my 110 and wondering if anyone has any helpful advice as this can be costly. Trying to avoid a mistake in advance of purchase. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 10th, 2012, 11:42 AM
Overlander
mark kellgren
in between D's in an 04 D2

Registry
What for Bill? Didn't you know we're in a recession!

ISIL and al qaeda can go F*ck themselves...
Old April 10th, 2012, 11:56 AM
Bill Larson
Bill Larson
97 D90 SW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overlander View Post
What for Bill? Didn't you know we're in a recession!
Thats the point...Economic collapse= the need for night time driving to the compound. I need to get there in one piece. Man you have got to pay attention to the signs...Be ready brother it's coming...lol
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 10th, 2012, 12:31 PM
sonoronos
Ed
None

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Larson View Post
So I'm considering a civilian flir system for my 110 and wondering if anyone has any helpful advice as this can be costly. Trying to avoid a mistake in advance of purchase. Thanks.
I'm assuming you're talking about the old FLIR PathfindIR system, which is the ultra low resolution uncooled microbolometer.

Its vertical resolution is pretty bad. 320x240. It just uses a non-focusing fixed aperture germanium oxide lens, which has mediocre resolution, although at 240p, you won't be able to tell the difference. The stock unit without LIN programming is plug and play. LIN gets you custom color maps and control over ACG.

IMHO, these are old school devices using 6-8 year old technology. Most industrial units are now at 480p. There is significant ghosting/hazing compared to modern units.

But despite this, there's virtually no other alternative for plug-and-play vehicle thermal imaging.

----

btw - it is a waste of money for driving around in darkness. There will be almost zero contrast between a boulder and a flat strip of tarmac.

It's good for spotting humans or animals, but target identification is impossible due to the resolution.
Old April 10th, 2012, 12:49 PM
o2batsea
Bill Adams
66 109 sw 94 lwb

Registry
I believe in Texas they have a problem with pigs. If you are shooting them at night with full auto weapons, then a smudge on the screen is good enough for putting some metal in them. The tracers will more than make up for the poor resolution.

1966 109 5 door wagon 300Tdi "spermaceti fueled"
1994 RRC LeWiB "ruining the air behind me"
1968 2A 88

All my troubles are Rover
Old April 10th, 2012, 12:55 PM
texrover
Jason
71 SIIA, 03 RR, 94 D90 (PO), 83 110

Registry
Quote:
Thats the point...Economic collapse= the need for night time driving to the compound. I need to get there in one piece. Man you have got to pay attention to the signs...Be ready brother it's coming...lol
This will be fun; I see an episode of "Doomsday Preppers" coming out of it. Heck they may even pay for it...
Old April 10th, 2012, 01:00 PM
tjfslaughter
thomas
Burbon

Quote:
Originally Posted by o2batsea View Post
I believe in Texas they have a problem with pigs. If you are shooting them at night with full auto weapons, then a smudge on the screen is good enough for putting some metal in them. The tracers will more than make up for the poor resolution.
Texas also allows hunting pigs from a helicopter. Ted Nugent does it all the time.... You can actually go on one of these hunts if you pass a safety course. I think there are 2 points in the course:

1. Don't shoot the pilot
2. Don't shoot the helicopter...
Old April 10th, 2012, 01:20 PM
El Solis
Chris Solis
Camel Trophy 110 sorta :)

I have a FLIR in my 08 BMW and love it as my commute is always in the dark on long winding roads in the middle of nowhere with no ambient lighting other than the stars and moon. It has definitely saved me a few times from blasting into a fox or deer. I can clearly see 300-400 yards up the road, contrast is good enough to tell elevation changes, make out discreet objects (I can tell fox from small deer at 300 yards) and even make out the side of the road vs the lane. I may have used the system to navigate mountain roads at high speed with a co pilot using the images to call out the course
Old April 10th, 2012, 01:36 PM
Bill Larson
Bill Larson
97 D90 SW

Quote:
Originally Posted by texrover View Post
This will be fun; I see an episode of "Doomsday Preppers" coming out of it. Heck they may even pay for it...
God I hate that show...its not even fun to watch when youre making fun of them...of course the more supplies they buy the better off I hope to be...

------ Follow up post added April 10th, 2012 12:40 PM ------

So I'm looking for an all around device that can be used for work (covered cost) and fun (night driving)...(zombie spotting)...(prepper depot)...vehicle mounted. I know where to get all of the tech specs, but need practical application prespective. Companies dont always use the stuff they sell!
Old April 10th, 2012, 02:30 PM
sonoronos
Ed
None

Registry
They all use the same sensors from the same company (Honeywell)

I used ATN's thermal weapon sight 6 years ago and the FLIR PathfindIR is the same thing, except that it costs about 1/4 the price, though with worse optics.

The image has motion blur and resolution is bad, but it's $2500 and you don't really have any other options at that price The best way to describe it is a very expensive toy - but if work is going to pay for it, then go for it

If you are sourcing this as a serious thermal cam for non-destructive evaluation and test (what I have used uncooled sensors for) then the PathfindIR is a really bad idea. You should be getting a modern 480p array in a bench setup like a Xenics. If you have a lot of money, you should be using stirling cooled units.
Old April 10th, 2012, 02:54 PM
Bill Larson
Bill Larson
97 D90 SW

good info, thanks Ed!
Old April 10th, 2012, 03:17 PM
texrover
Jason
71 SIIA, 03 RR, 94 D90 (PO), 83 110

Registry
Quote:
God I hate that show...its not even fun to watch when youre making fun of them...of course the more supplies they buy the better off I hope to be...

------ Follow up post added April 10th, 2012 12:40 PM ------

So I'm looking for an all around device that can be used for work (covered cost) and fun (night driving)...(zombie spotting)...(prepper depot)...vehicle mounted. I know where to get all of the tech specs, but need practical application prespective. Companies dont always use the stuff they sell!
Yeah Preppers is lame.

But I'm thinking your line of work ain't if they'll pay for a little ground-based FLIR....
Old April 10th, 2012, 03:29 PM
Overlander
mark kellgren
in between D's in an 04 D2

Registry
Why not go regular IR instead of thermal? Most of the US military uses IR for night vehicle operations. Thermal is only used for targeting. The current gen III+ of IR goggles is pretty good. You just add some IR spots on your light rack on a seperate switch and it's lights out!
Old April 10th, 2012, 04:02 PM
Bill Larson
Bill Larson
97 D90 SW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overlander View Post
Why not go regular IR instead of thermal? Most of the US military uses IR for night vehicle operations. Thermal is only used for targeting. The current gen III+ of IR goggles is pretty good. You just add some IR spots on your light rack on a seperate switch and it's lights out!
in the perfect world...and as it relates to work, I would like to detect thermal and gas vapor so I need something pretty "broad".

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat