FJ-62 Cruiser? - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Join the Defender Source Community Today

Old February 14th, 2012, 03:38 PM
Burke Bell
'94 NAS D90 #158
FJ-62 Cruiser?

Thought I'd see if anyone had experience with these. I spotted one yesterday and my good friend is thinking about it. 1988 with 120k miles. Runs and drives great, everything works. Frame looks solid, but there are several perferations in the body. He's got him down to $2500. Looks like a fun truck to fix a bit and enjoy. Any advice?

"I race cars, play tennis, and fondle women, BUT! I have weekends off, and I am my own boss." - Arthur
Old February 14th, 2012, 04:10 PM
Walter Dent
2000 D2
I love that body style.
$2500 sounds pretty good if it doesn't have terminal rot and the frame is solid.

We're not trying to freak out the normal man,
we're trying to out freak the normal man.
Old February 14th, 2012, 06:43 PM
1994 D90 on 37s supreme balla style
Those are great trucks, stout as hell, and they just don't seem to die.
Old February 14th, 2012, 07:06 PM
'97 Arles Blue SW #2131
Originally Posted by madcowdungbeetle View Post
Those are great trucks, stout as hell, and they just don't seem to die.
X2.. Had one before this and they are hard to break, but have rust problems.. Lots of modded ones for cheap, too.. Surprised they haven't had a resurgence. $2500 isn't bad but look for diff leaks.
"Land Rover = rolling mechanical failure. it is failing even as it sits in the driveway. get used to it. My 90 just had a failure as I was typing this."
-Ren Ching
Old February 14th, 2012, 07:14 PM
1995 SW #487/500
A friend has one they are built tough but a dog even compared to a classic on 235s. They rust as bad as rovers, seem to have way to many vacuum lines and the automatic trans sucks.

He has his set up with a Toyota 5 speed 33" on an OME suspension. It drives really nice esp with the 5 speed swap, tons of space and does pretty good offload.
Poor gas mileage gets you to the best places on earth
Old February 15th, 2012, 10:45 AM's Avatar
Bill Campbell
1994 D-90 ST
Haha....I just bought one last week. Mine is a 1990 with 140k and it cost me 5500. It's a pretty solid vehicle. The only thing I would say to check is to see if the gas tank has had the recall done. Toyota will actually put in an all new tank and fuel lines because they rusted so badly. Besides that the trans cooler lines tend to rust and knuckes, like our trucks, need to be rebuilt with new seals. From what I understand the engines are built proof. Just keep them full with oil and they run forever. I sure hope so!

Oh and check the rear shock bar where the top of the rear shocks mount. Those things tend to be the first to rust out.
Old February 15th, 2012, 12:29 PM
large pile of parts
Edit: looks like the frame issue has been covered. I will leave it up here but I can't stress this enough...

Have the frame looked at very carefully around the point where the rear shock crossmember meets the main frame rails, the inside web of the frame tends to rust through. If the frame is sound there and at the back where the rear bumper meets it, it is probably pretty solid everywhere else. The 62s are a solid truck, not fast but everything about them is pretty beefy. The transmission is literally twice the size of a ZF HP24.

This is an A442F, same basic trans as an A440F...

Ongoing Defender/Series inspired crew cab project
Diesel-swapped 1994 80 series Land-cruiser

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

« | Pm's »