Fired because of a false accusation.... - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old May 14th, 2015, 12:01 PM
Ruthiford
Jason
1986 D110

Fired because of a false accusation....

My wife and I had dinner with some old friends this week. One topic of conversation was that my friends husband was recently let go of his position for, what he claims was, a trumped up charge.

Travis (friends husband) was the service manager of a dealership.
He claims he went to visit a customer who was upset with the service his team had provided. The matter was ultimately resolved but the customer called and complained.

Ultimately he was terminated which he feels was unjust... No prior instances of this type of thing, no investigation, etc.

Do any of you have experience dealing with an unemployment situation like this? One where there were no witnesses, no proof of either sides claim?

The conversation was shocking to me because I thought the burden of proof was higher than what he described for termination.

What say you...
Advertisement

Old May 14th, 2015, 12:08 PM
Bill Larson
Bill Larson
97 D90 SW

Sounds like an "At Will" employment situation...no reason required. It's tough but it's a two way street he could quit with no reason.
Old May 14th, 2015, 12:15 PM
LostChord
Brian
86 D110 SW

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruthiford View Post
The conversation was shocking to me because I thought the burden of proof was higher than what he described for termination.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Larson View Post
Sounds like an "At Will" employment situation...no reason required. It's tough but it's a two way street he could quit with no reason.
^^^ This. ^^^
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 14th, 2015, 12:20 PM
Overlander
mark kellgren
in between D's in an 04 D2

Registry
if a dealership fired their service manager for only one complaint, there's wouldn't be any service managers anywhere. Sounds like they wanted him gone and needed some reason to document their intent, for whatever reason. Probably so they could backfill him with someone nephew or other form of nepotism.

ISIL and al qaeda can go F*ck themselves...
Old May 14th, 2015, 12:35 PM
Bill Larson
Bill Larson
97 D90 SW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overlander View Post
if a dealership fired their service manager for only one complaint, there's wouldn't be any service managers anywhere. Sounds like they wanted him gone and needed some reason to document their intent, for whatever reason. Probably so they could backfill him with someone nephew or other form of nepotism.
The Dude probably brought his Beagle to the shop...
Old May 14th, 2015, 12:38 PM
Jonesy
Craig
87 D110 (Ruby)

Registry
Sucks - but...Colorado follows the legal doctrine of "employment-at-will" which provides that in the absence of a contract to the contrary, neither an employer nor an employee is required to give notice or advance notice of termination or resignation nor give a reason...

He is SOL
Old May 14th, 2015, 12:43 PM
Willh
Will Hedrick
Use to own NAS #96, #1778, & #1008

Registry
I echo the posts above. As an "at-will employee" he could be fired at any time for any reason....even a bad one, unfortunately.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Please feel free to visit my website at:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote:
Willh is the F'n man! Defender of the Defenders! - Overlander
Old May 14th, 2015, 12:47 PM
sonoronos
Ed
None

Registry
Explain "Visit a customer". That sounds like a mistake.
Old May 14th, 2015, 12:48 PM
tjfslaughter
thomas
Burbon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willh View Post
I echo the posts above. As an "at-will employee" he could be fired at any time for any reason....even a bad one, unfortunately.
coming from Will this is funny.
Old May 14th, 2015, 12:50 PM
Overlander
mark kellgren
in between D's in an 04 D2

Registry
Quote:
The Dude probably brought his Beagle to the shop...

well, that certainly changes things, doesn't it?

ISIL and al qaeda can go F*ck themselves...
Old May 14th, 2015, 01:16 PM
Ruthiford
Jason
1986 D110

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonoronos View Post
Explain "Visit a customer". That sounds like a mistake.
He told me the long story and I said the same thing. He said the customer was upset from go.

------ Follow up post added May 14th, 2015 11:19 AM ------

All the sentiment of "At Will" I agree with, based on everything I have heard previous.

With regards to Un Employment where does the burden of proof lie? How does one prove a negative? How do you prove you did/did not do something? From hearing the description of his time there I believe they did want him gone for some time.
Old May 14th, 2015, 01:25 PM
Bill Larson
Bill Larson
97 D90 SW

Quote:
He told me the long story and I said the same thing. He said the customer was upset from go.

------ Follow up post added May 14th, 2015 11:19 AM ------

All the sentiment of "At Will" I agree with, based on everything I have heard previous.

With regards to Un Employment where does the burden of proof lie? How does one prove a negative? How do you prove you did/did not do something? From hearing the description of his time there I believe they did want him gone for some time.
The burden will be on the employer to provide evidence for rightful discharge to deny unemployment. It's doubtful they will contest but if they do there will be a hearing to make case.
Old May 14th, 2015, 01:28 PM
LostChord
Brian
86 D110 SW

Registry
Quote:
The burden will be on the employer to provide evidence for rightful discharge to deny unemployment. It's doubtful they will contest but if they do there will be a hearing to make case.
Again, ^^^ This. ^^^

Bill is on it today.
Old May 14th, 2015, 01:50 PM
o2batsea
Bill Adams
66 109 sw 94 lwb

Registry
If this person had asked his supervisor if he should personally attend to the customer at their residence, he would still have his job. His supervisor would no doubt say no to such a wild hare, and the complaint would be kicked up the chain. There is a slew of reasons why "Travis" should not have done such a thing. lesson learned we hope.

1966 109 5 door wagon 300Tdi "spermaceti fueled"
1994 RRC LeWiB "ruining the air behind me"
1968 2A 88

All my troubles are Rover
Old May 14th, 2015, 02:03 PM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
Car dealerships are the worst employers on the planet. I've never met anyone that has been treated well working at a dealership.

Land Rover. Turning owners into mechanics since 1948.
Old May 14th, 2015, 02:23 PM
CDNRover
Jeff Labbé
110 Ex-Mod FFR 200tdi

Registry
Quote:
My wife and I had dinner with some old friends this week. One topic of conversation was that my friends husband was recently let go of his position for, what he claims was, a trumped up charge. Travis (friends husband) was the service manager of a dealership. He claims he went to visit a customer who was upset with the service his team had provided. The matter was ultimately resolved but the customer called and complained. Ultimately he was terminated which he feels was unjust... No prior instances of this type of thing, no investigation, etc. Do any of you have experience dealing with an unemployment situation like this? One where there were no witnesses, no proof of either sides claim? The conversation was shocking to me because I thought the burden of proof was higher than what he described for termination. What say you...

I had a mazda once, brand new! I had a blown engine after a month. To make a long story short, lots of shitty jobs were made and I did complains. Believe me nothing happened to the head of services. He, and still is, a complete @s$ ! Nothing ever happened to him, not a single slap on the wrist. I wish he had been fired but... So why your friend been fired? Might be a bit over the top! But hey, it's hard to judge when your not in the situation...
Old May 14th, 2015, 02:54 PM
Bill Larson
Bill Larson
97 D90 SW

Quote:
Originally Posted by LostChord View Post
Again, ^^^ This. ^^^

Bill is on it today.
My life...for 20 years...
Old May 14th, 2015, 03:04 PM
Scottyoh
Enigma RnR
'87 127"
D-90 Source Vendor

Happened to myself and another individual at the same company two or so years ago. We both filed for unemployment, both were disputed by the employer, and we both won our dispute hearings. Like others have said though, "at-will" employer states can let anyone go, at anytime, for anything. But if they dispute the unemployment case and lose the hearing, they are fined.

Old May 15th, 2015, 09:41 PM
discotdi
Todd Miller
Land Rover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red90 View Post
Car dealerships are the worst employers on the planet. I've never met anyone that has been treated well working at a dealership.
Usually based on the unreasonable, lying, conniving, cheap,shitty customers. And of course the commission based pay structure which pushes every employee to squeeze the maximum amount of money from each customer.
And then of course every customer wants and tries to spend as little as possible.

A great business model.
Old May 15th, 2015, 10:31 PM
mgreenspan
Matthew Greenspan
Land Rovers

Registry
This is antagonistic... your post is very biased towards your friend's husband, obviously. What was the false accusation?

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Tags
ac, fire